Cole World

How I see the 2019 first round offensive linemen

54 posts in this topic

Jawaan Taylor is my favorite 1st round offensive lineman and he will more than likely be the first to go.

#7 Jaguars - Jawaan Taylor: The Jags have a hole at RT and they want to get back to running the ball. The RPO they will install for Nick Foles will depend on them having a respectable run game.

#9 Bills - Jonah Williams: The Bills Offensive Coordinator, Brian Daboll was Williams OC at Alabama for two seasons so he familiar with Jonah. This is what was said by the Bills GM and Jonah Williams at the combine. Yes they just signed Ty Nsekhe to a 2-yr deal but if you look at the contract it's really just a one year deal. Besides Nsekhe will be 34 in-season. Spencer Long was signed as well but just like Nsekhe his deal is basically a one year deal. Long health is also questionable.

Alabama left tackle Jonah Williams spoke to the media on Thursday on the first day of interviews at the 2019 NFL Scouting Combine and said he’s met with the Bills and there is interest in coming to Buffalo for the standout blocker.

“(The Bills have a) Great coaching staff,” Williams said. “Obviously familiar with (offensive coordinator Brian) Daboll, being my OC two years ago (at Alabama). I’m not one to speculate on NFL team’s current situations, but I’d be happy to play for that team.”

That’s likely music to Bills general manager Brandon Beane’s ears as he’s begun the interview process at the combine with prospects looking for players that fit the culture the team is trying to build in Buffalo.

Beane gave a small glimpse into what he’s looking for in players available in the draft.

“We love the guys that are really good off the field, you’re not worried when they walk out of your building and then they also love ball,” he said. “They’re competitive and they have high football character. They want to learn how to eat right, they want to be in there and lift, they’re in there when you’re not even asking.

Williams was asked to scout himself and the report he gave sounds like exactly what Beane and the Bills are looking for as they try and upgrade on the line in front of franchise quarterback Josh Allen.

“I try to out-prepare everyone,” Williams said. “I want to watch more film than everyone on the defense combined. I want to know what each player does before they do it. I want to know what their best moves are and what percentage they win on those moves, how I can combat those moves. ... Football is my life, my passion. I’m extremely competitive. I want to be the best in everything that I do.”

#16 Panthers - Andre Dillard: The Panther cut Matt Kalil and will need a LT. Dillard is the best pure LT in the draft when it comes to pass protection.

#18 Vikings - Cody Ford: The Vikings need OL help in the worst way, especially at left and right guard.

#23 Texans - Dalton Risner: The Texans are desperate for OL help. 

Houston Texans: Why the team decided not to sign Ryan Schraeder

The Houston Texans reportedly were interested in offensive tackle Ryan Schraeder but decided to go in a different direction. What gives? Let’s look.

The Houston Texans free agency period has not been the most exciting but they’ve signed guys that could provide a valuable impact to the team.  There haven’t truly been any household names the team has signed but sometimes it’s not about that, it’s all about finding the right players that fit with the team’s mantra.

Besides, who knows what kind of money Jadeveon Clowney‘s contract will command?  I understand that they have to be cautious with their spending, whether or not they decide to move forward with his $17 million franchise tag or hopefully achieve some savings for 2019 if a long-term pact is reached.

But since free agency opened some two weeks ago the team has signed seven guys to the roster.  They are:  Tashaun Gipson, Bradley Roby, Briean Boddy-Calhoun, A.J. McCarron, Matt Kalil and Darren Fells.

All of these men wield a ton of potential — some more than others — and if the cards are played right, they will flourish in their role with the Houston Texans.

The Houston Texans have been taking visits by various players and one interesting visit to note was when they brought offensive tackle Ryan Schraeder in for evaluation.

The 6-foot-7, 300-pound Schraeder had been drawing interest from both the Houston Texans and the Minnesota Vikings so there was some slight competition for his services.  However, Schraeder left Houston without a deal and the Houston Texans decided to ink Kalil to a one-year deal.

At the time of this writing, Schraeder remains a free agent which certainly alludes to concerns that teams may have about him.

Let’s dive into the numbers.

According to Pro Football Focus (subscription required), Schraeder had a 63.6 overall, a 62.9 pass block and 67.3 run block grade through 865 snaps at right tackle for the Atlanta Falcons last season.

Those numbers are hardly impressive but decent enough for him to be signed by a team that needs his help.  Schraeder was recently cut from the Falcons as his now-former counterpart, Ty Sambrailo, was signed to a three-year, $14.3 million extension this off season.

Schraeder, 30, an undrafted free agent out of Valdosta State in 2013, was working off a five-year, $31.5 million extension that he signed back in 2016.  But with his performance in a decline since then, it ultimately sealed his fate with his contract as well as his future with the Falcons.

This definitely ensured that Schraeder would have to be on the move, looking for his next gig.

This move obviously indicates their confidence in Seantrel Henderson being the better fit with their schemes and that they would likely be able to find what they need in the NFL Draft next month.

PFF has Schraeder ranked just 55th out of 61 eligible tackles with at least 559 snaps and isranked just one slot higher than Julién Davenport last season.  With those numbers, the Houston Texans probably would rather try to give Davenport another go off the bench in hopes that he’d improve his numbers in 2019.

And here’s some additional food for thought — Schraeder was ranked 37th out of 49 tackles with at least 363 snaps in pass blocking efficiency, with a grade of a 96.4.

Considering that the Falcons have one of the best pass-blocking units in the NFL, it’s obviously clear that he was one of the weakest links.  The Falcons’ offensive line was ranked 5th in PBE with a score of 88.1.

All things considered, the Houston Texans likely felt that he wouldn’t be able to improve the team any more than the guys that they already have.  Although there’s a possibility that the Texans can change direction, if they wanted Schraeder, they would’ve signed him already.

I honestly can’t wait until the draft because I really do feel that the Texans can hit on a effective tackle in that realm.

Let’s hope for the best.

Edited by Cole World

1 minute ago, Atl Falcon said:

Don’t see J Williams going that high as a tackle 

I don't think he's a tackle either but I can see the Bills picking him for the reason stated in my OP. 

They have to protect Josh Allen to see if he's indeed a franchise QB.

4 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I would not be surprised to see Schraeder brought back to compete with Ty and be our swing Tackle.  1.5 mill sounds right

I'm not sure if they would do that. They would've just restructured his contract to begin with if that was the case.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

4 minutes ago, Cole World said:

I'm not sure if they would do that. They would've just restructured his contract to begin with if that was the case.

If you let him test the waters and the temperature is a tad nipply, you regain the leverage in the negotiation.  You are likely right, though

Im curious to see who falls off in Dallas.  They have like 15 OL and 60 mill allocated to them.  A few quality players are going to be cut from that offensive line

11 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Any Bama fan would tell you. Buyer beware on Williams. I thought he’d go in the 2nd or 3rd.

Bama is the one college program where they will receive better coaching than in the NFL...NE not included.

So fan beware anytime your team is on the clock and selects _____ from the University of Alabama.

3 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Bama is the one college program where they will receive better coaching than in the NFL...NE not included.

So fan beware anytime your team is on the clock and selects _____ from the University of Alabama.

OL and CB. It’s the system not the player.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

15 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Any Bama fan would tell you. Buyer beware on Williams. I thought he’d go in the 2nd or 3rd.

Yeah I’m no Bama fan but I agree. I view him as a guard with the ability to play tackle in a pinch. 

Knight of God likes this

I agree with most of it. Pretty sure. Bradbury is a 1st round pick and probably will go far higher than most think. 

Risner I'm not sure is a 1st round pick. I guess it depends on if there is a run on guys, but he's got limitations.

22 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

I agree with most of it. Pretty sure. Bradbury is a 1st round pick and probably will go far higher than most think. 

Risner I'm not sure is a 1st round pick. I guess it depends on if there is a run on guys, but he's got limitations.

I totally forgot about Bradbury. He could possibly land in KC to be Mitch Morse replacement. He’s a Andy Reid type of player.

19 hours ago, Knight of God said:

So he will bust?? or he will be a good OG for some years??

Knight of God likes this

20 hours ago, Cole World said:

Derrick Shelby

Ovie_Lover likes this

20 hours ago, Cole World said:

A restructure just pushes his cap hit down the road. That wouldn't make any sense.

Tim Mazetti likes this

1 minute ago, Cole World said:

Yeah but it’s not like they signed anybody to take his spot.

We haven't signed anyone to take Schraeders either

15 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

A restructure just pushes his cap hit down the road. That wouldn't make any sense.

So does eating 6.3M make sense?

Just now, Yo_Lover said:

He's a June first cut dude. What are you talking about?

I know he’s a June 1st cut. That’s doesn’t take away the fact the Falcons will eat the 6.3M in dead money the following season.

1 minute ago, Cole World said:

I know he’s a June 1st cut. That’s doesn’t take away the fact the Falcons will eat the 6.3M in dead money the following season.

No they don't. It's 2.5M in dead money.