FalconsIn2012

Falcons Couldn’t Pay Irvin 4 Million?

135 posts in this topic

I kinda think 4 mil is a bit much for Irvin. I like him and all, but we are cap strapped this season enough as it is. 4 mil on the books this season is a big deal for us. Good for you Bruce get your money while you can. Hope we dominate you twice a year though.

Edit: Charlotte isn't that far away and if I was Irvin I would take an extra 2 mil or so. It would be worth the commute lol.

Edited by Panda

33 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Scratching my head even more now that I see how small his contract is.  Just wow.

Reeks of us letting Freeney go for 2 million

What does Irvin do that Vic doesn't? They're the same player and if you're down right adamant about getting the most out Vic, Irvin wouldn't get as many snaps as he got while he was just here. $4MM is expensive at that rate. 

high impact, red falcon and duckhoa like this

8 minutes ago, Panda said:

I kinda think 4 mil is a bit much for Irvin. I like him and all, but we are cap strapped this season enough as it is. 4 mil on the books this season is a big deal for us. Good for you Bruce get your money while you can. Hope we dominate you twice a year though.

Edit: Charlotte isn't that far away and if I was Irvin I would take an extra 2 mil or so. It would be worth the commute lol.

compared to people who have produced less throughout their career and signed for more, 4 million is pennies

5 minutes ago, vel said:

What does Irvin do that Vic doesn't? They're the same player and if you're down right adamant about getting the most out Vic, Irvin wouldn't get as many snaps as he got while he was just here. $4MM is expensive at that rate. 

Vic is a situational pass rusher. Once Irvin was signed and Vic’s reps were reduced, our production went up significantly. And when Irvin was the Leo and Vic was next to Takk, the speed on the DL was a problem. Stunts and twists started to get home.  For 4 million It seems like a small investment, especially considering both Vic & Irvin are situational

Remember that Irvin had 3.5 sacks his last 4 games with us

1 minute ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

It will probably be said again, but...

with what money?  We have a draft class that takes up about $4m and aren't we right at that number?

We have 11 mill in CAP once RS falls off

Just now, Francis York Morgan said:

Should've kept him. No point mincing words about it. Should've traded or let go of Vic, signed Houston and Irvin for the same/slightly larger hit this year.

But, hey. What do I know? Even if Vic balls out, I'm annoyed by it.

Cause if he balls out we can’t keep him regardless. It was a lose-lose long term for us.  

1 minute ago, Statick said:

Meh. It's done. No use crying about it.

Not crying, but certainly curious why no contract was even offered.  There must be a reason 

Just now, Peyton said:

The only thing I can think is that Quinn is very convinced that he can maximize Beasley's physical talent this year.  Him doing so is a real key to this season.

But Vic isn’t built like Takk.  He isn’t an every down DE.  But Wuinn knows more football than I could learn in 10 lifetimes, so I guess I’ll acquiesce to him.  Just seems odd

1 minute ago, Peyton said:

The only thing I can think is that Quinn is very convinced that he can maximize Beasley's physical talent this year.  Him doing so is a real key to this season.

If Vic under-performs, the Falcon D sucks again and it costs Quinn his HC job, not one single solitary **** will be given by me. Pinning your faith on Beasley seems downright suicidal from a continuing employment standpoint.

1 minute ago, PokerSteve said:

If Vic under-performs, the Falcon D sucks again and it costs Quinn his HC job, not one single solitary **** will be given by me. Pinning your faith on Beasley seems downright suicidal from a continuing employment standpoint.

They are kind of married at this point.  I don't think Quinn could get fired after this season, but if it's a bad season his seat is going to be quite hot for 2020. Flaming.

PokerSteve likes this

Be sure that the front office knew what he was going to get and could’ve paid him if they wanted to. I’m sure DQ has been looking at the defense heavily this off season and knows what he wants. 

duckhoa likes this

I think the Beasley thing is twofold:

1. Quinn put his name on him and thinks he can turn him
  2. If Beasley sucks he's off the cap table next year

Quinn better teach him some moves. or hope like hail he can match him up with some turnstile tackles.

Peyton likes this

1 minute ago, jfalconsp said:

Be sure that the front office knew what he was going to get and could’ve paid him if they wanted to. I’m sure DQ has been looking at the defense heavily this off season and knows what he wants. 

If after looking he decided he wants Beasley at $12 million instead of Irvin at $4 million, I think DQ needs to go into Concussion Protocol and get checked out. :bang:

J/K lol.

Flying Falcon likes this

5 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

It’s not that Vic can’t have a 10 sack season.  I actually think he can & will with Quinn calling the defense.  But we can’t extend him if he does..so unless it’s a SB this year, seems pointless.

5 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Yeah, not often on the FFS70 side, but Preston Smith and Irvin seems like a better play than Beasley (or choose your 2 players).

It seems like we're doing this banking on a comp pick for Beasley.  If he balls out we can't afford him, and if he doesn't we don't want him.  I'd rather have gotten a Smith type locked in for 4 years and let Quinn work his magic (if he has any) on someone we have for several years.

13M seems like a lot to spend to hope to get a 3rd round compensatory pick the next year.  I'm perplexed by the Beasley thing overall...just don't get their strategy on this one.