g-dawg

Trade-DOWN mock - Falcons break tendencies - this one for atljbo!

89 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

There's so many draft blunders by the Falcons in the 90s. This is just one of many. Just so many!! Dan Reeves absolutely loved tight ends so what does he do in his 1st draft as HC? Drafts Michael Booker with Tony Gonzalez on the board. Then there was that horrible Jeff George trade that June Jones and company made. Talk about regretful. The 49ers drafted Bryant Young with the Falcons 1994 1st round pick and then the 1st round pick the Colts got in 1996 was used to draft Marvin Harrison. Then there was the ill-fated draft up in the 1999 draft for TE Reggie Kelly where the Falcons gave the Ravens their 1st round pick in 2000. That pick ended up being Jamal Lewis and all the Ravens did was ride him and that defense to a Super Bowl win. Oh, and honorable mention is the ill-fated pick of RB Tony Smith with the 1st round pick that the Falcons got from the Packers for Brett Favre. Really? Tony Freaking Smith who played a grand total of 2 NFL seasons, and neither one very good. Jesus!! Folks just don't have a clue how bad it used to be. The Falcons drafting under TD for he most part has been amazing compared to the dark days of the 90s.

Great points 567. You wouldn’t know it from scanning these boards, but These are the best days to be a falcon fan. 

Falconsfan567 likes this

2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Great points 567. You wouldn’t know it from scanning these boards, but These are the best days to be a falcon fan. 

Let’s stick to criticisms of this draft- I should have never introduced the father’s name into the thread - my bad there.

2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Exactly!! That is what I said in this thread!! But we all know how that turned out!! Positivity just doesn't go well around these parts.

https://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/4069152-why-is-this-fan-base-so-jaded/

Vandy likes this

2 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Exactly!! That is what I said in this thread!! But we all know how that turned out!! Positivity just doesn't go well around these parts.

https://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/4069152-why-is-this-fan-base-so-jaded/

Can you and Vandy go into a private chat room to discuss Ken Herock, Norm Van Brocklin and other past GMs including Dan Reeves?

I appreciate you doing these different scenarios because it’s showing me just how much I’m not feeling them lol. I hope we don’t get cute. I want DE and DT taken in the first 2 rounds unless we want to take a flier on someone like Polite and he slips to our 3rd. 

Now that I have gotten the Devin Bush Sr. comment out of the way, I like your mock.  Of course, I have some suggestions, but over all, nice job.  

Let's say we take Devin Bush in the first.  We now have a pretty darn good set of LB's.  Foye has developed well and both Jones and Bush would cover a lot of territory.  

I agree that we should draft two DB's this year.  I like Chauncey Gardner-Johnson a lot and I think he has coverage skills on par with Oruwariye.  CG-J is the guy I would go for in the second round.  

Your third round has me a bit mixed up.  Tytus Howard is a long way from starting.  I like him, but he has gotten a lot of attention lately and I think someone will draft him too early.  I don't want that someone to be us.  I would rather draft St. Louis or Pipken one round later and get basically the same type developmental OT.  Personally, I think we will need to go with OT very early in next year's draft, so this year, I would look for depth at that position.  

De'Andre Walker sounds like a nice player, but in our system, he will need to be an OLB.  And, with the Devin Bush selection, I am not sure he will have the talent to start for us in the next few years.  In this draft scenario, I would take a WR, like Kelvin Harmon.  Harmon is a young M Sanu.  He is extremely tough, runs good routes and most importantly wins contested catches.  Plan ahead, and take Harmon now.  

Daylon Mack would not be my choice in the 4th.  I like Chris Slayton and Tristen Hill a lot more.  Both are stout against the run and still have enough speed to stay in the game during passing situations.  I think Mack is a two-down player and can be drafted much later.

This draft is supposed to be deep in DL's (and it is), but it is also deep in DB's.  I'd like to draft a developmental CB in the 4th.  We should have our choice of several good tall CB's.  I like Michael Jackson, but there are others that have been mentioned on these boards.   

I would not draft Holyfield.  I would sign him as an un-drafted FA, but I simply do not see a guy that will contribute much in the NFL.  I would rather draft Devine Ozigbo.  He is big, tough, runs will low pad level, and  has good vision.  I see him as our ideal short yardage RB.

Hey, nice work on the alternative draft.  I like to see how others think and I believe that you are among the better thinkers around here.    

2 hours ago, g-dawg said:

I get the argument of LB not being a major need - having said that - tell me V - what need did I not address with this draft?

You like the nose tackle Dexter Lawrence in the 1st freaking round - I draft a nose tackle where they are supposed to be drafted- in the 4th round.  Cornerback (check), Edge Rusher (check), Offensive Tackle and Center (check/check).  Then we go RB/WR(check/check) and finish with S/TE.  Added a Top 100 pick with the trade.

I totally get that this is off script pick but Devin Bush has Pro-Bowl ability and he and Deion Jones can cover grass like the dew.

As to need? Probably DeVondre Campbell’s last year in Falcon’s uni.  Both Debo and Devin can play the WILL and man the middle. Beasley played some LB as well and likely his last year.  We have a need past 2019 whether you wish to admit it or not.

Where you and I disagree on Lawrence is you seeing him just as a nose tackle. 

Coming into 2019, LBer is actually an area of strength on this team. No certainty that Campbell leaves at all, and even if he does we’ll replace him with another player in FA or internally. 

You must have missed it by being so xxxxxxx defensive, but I did say You addressed the needs....I just don’t like your 1st pick. Pretty sure falcons won’t go there either, unless somehow a Top 5 talent Devin white fell to them. White will be a mucho better player than Bush, IMO. But even with that, I seriously doubt we go LBer for few rounds at least. We need DE/DT/OT/corner much more than another LBer.

you might want to read up on this before you bless us with your next weekly mock :ninja::

https://thefalconswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/22/falcons-free-agency-2019-nfl-draft-roster-needs/4/

Tim Mazetti and Falconsfan567 like this

3 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Let’s stick to criticisms of this draft- I should have never introduced the father’s name into the thread - my bad there.

With respect, I’ll post whatever I feel like posting. As you said, you’re the one who posted first about the father....and couple more times after that as well.....so follow your own advice. You have no one to blame but yourself for that.

3 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Anyone that believes Dexter Lawrence will be better NFL player than Devin Bush, II is a dayum fool.

Yep, I went there.

Good grief, yes you did. Do I need to pull some of your similarly foolish proclamations from past drafts?

Since you insist on playing The Jerk, I’m out of here. 

Ovie_Lover and Falconsfan567 like this

39 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

We draft LSU players now, just gotta convince DQ/TD that there are 11 other teams in the conference.

I know that and you know that but how often do we see that posted.... "TD NEVER DRAFTS SEC PLAYERS"  even after the long list going back to 2008 is listed, they still try to claim it. 

6 minutes ago, Vandy said:

With respect, I’ll post whatever I feel like posting. And you’re the one who posted first about the father, I suggest you follow your own advice.

Good grief. Do I need to pull some of your similar foolish proclamations from past drafts?

I’m out of here. 

Did you think Falcons were drafting Keanu Neal in 1st rd?

35 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

There's so many draft blunders by the Falcons in the 90s. This is just one of many. Just so many!! Dan Reeves absolutely loved tight ends so what does he do in his 1st draft as HC? Drafts Michael Booker with Tony Gonzalez on the board. Then there was that horrible Jeff George trade that June Jones and company made. Talk about regretful. The 49ers drafted Bryant Young with the Falcons 1994 1st round pick and then the 1st round pick the Colts got in 1996 was used to draft Marvin Harrison. Then there was the ill-fated draft up in the 1999 draft for TE Reggie Kelly where the Falcons gave the Ravens their 1st round pick in 2000. That pick ended up being Jamal Lewis and all the Ravens did was ride him and that defense to a Super Bowl win. Oh, and honorable mention is the ill-fated pick of RB Tony Smith with the 1st round pick that the Falcons got from the Packers for Brett Favre. Really? Tony Freaking Smith who played a grand total of 2 NFL seasons, and neither one very good. Jesus!! Folks just don't have a clue how bad it used to be. The Falcons drafting under TD for he most part has been amazing compared to the dark days of the 90s.

dear readers, save yourself a super bad case of the heebie geebies and DO NOT look up how bad it was in the 80s, 70s or 60s......

yeah, I'll take being 'Troffed' over most of the picks the Falcons history has before Tommy D got here

3 minutes ago, papachaz said:

dear readers, save yourself a super bad case of the heebie geebies and DO NOT look up how bad it was in the 80s, 70s or 60s......

yeah, I'll take being 'Troffed' over most of the picks the Falcons history has before Tommy D got here

Agree 100%.  

g-dawg and Geneaut like this

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

We draft LSU players now, just gotta convince DQ/TD that there are 11 other teams in the conference.

He likes University of Florida players as well.

g-dawg likes this

7 hours ago, Falcanuck said:

Not a good block shedder, quite small. Would be a great WLB, though. I just don't love taking a LBer not named Devin White in the first even with a trade back.

I’m with you on this. I think White is worth the squeeze . If he lasts to our pick, I hope we sprint to the podium. 4.42 forty, 40 inch vert and great body control is perfect to pair with Debo. This ain’t duke Riley 

I love this mock. Makes way too much sense to actually happen. Bush back there with Jones is SCARY, In a division with shifty pass-catching RBs Bush matches up extremely well.

I even like the Holyfield pick. LOVE his rage for contact and his nifty feet when caught in the wash. Whoever drafts him is getting a good hard-working football player that has excelled in the toughest Conference in the nation. 40 times be ****ed.

g-dawg likes this

I get the argument of LB not being a major need - having said that - tell me V - what need did I not address with this draft?

You like the nose tackle Dexter Lawrence in the 1st freaking round - I draft a nose tackle where they are supposed to be drafted- in the 4th round.  Cornerback (check), Edge Rusher (check), Offensive Tackle and Center (check/check).  Then we go RB/WR(check/check) and finish with S/TE.  Added a Top 100 pick with the trade.

I totally get that this is off script pick but Devin Bush has Pro-Bowl ability and he and Deion Jones can cover grass like the dew.

As to need? Probably DeVondre Campbell’s last year in Falcon’s uni.  Both Debo and Devin can play the WILL and man the middle. Beasley played some LB as well and likely his last year.  We have a need past 2019 whether you wish to admit it or not.

Last year after losing Aldrick Robinson and Taylor Gabriel, I saw WR as a big-time need.  We were one Julio injury away from Hardy being our No. 2 wideout.

This year LB is more of a need, now, than WR was last year.  That's not my opinion, it a simple fact.  If we can fill our LB need in the second or third round, fine.  But  I sure wouldn't mind using our first there.

duckhoa and g-dawg like this

2 hours ago, EpicBird said:

I love Bush as a player but I just don’t see him for the Falcons in the 1st which means he’s going somewhere else. I get the BPA thing but too many other pressing needs. Howard isn’t going to make it to the 3rd round. Love the Gaillard pick. I’ll pass on Mack (inconsistent and Grady and Senat are the same body type but better) and Holyfield. If a big back is needed there are bigger and more athletic ones that should be there in the 5th-6th round, or Jordan Howard could be traded for a 6th or 7th. 

Thing about Howard is, if he gets traded, if his agent has a clue, he will demand a new contract for his client.... or simply threaten to hold his client out.

Who needs the headache?  Lets just draft someone.

9 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

So we're gonna draft 3 Georgia players? One from a Georgia offensive line (that in the games I watched) couldn't do squat running the ball in short-yardage situations. Another who got limited touches at Georgia and has had terrible workout numbers?

That being said, I do like D'Andre Walker and would gladly take him.

Devin Bush is a monster and having him and Deion Jones on the field together in the Falcons Nickel based defense would be amazing!! Talk about speed to cover the backs and tight ends! I also like the two Kentucky players.

The consensus top DT prospect in several years said Gaillard was the smartest and most difficult Lineman he faced all year.  Gave up nothing pre snap.  And UGA actually ran up the middle with some success against Alabama.  I love this pick.

The draft is great until Holyfield.  Take him in the 6th.  Or my preference is Travis Homer in the 4th

g-dawg likes this

Okay G-Dawg! From someone who has been blessed to be invited and go to the Draft room this is a good, realistic Mock. One of the better one's for us I've seen. Hope it does roll like this! Only problems I see is the hate by some and maybe even TD for the Dawgs. Despite all the success Dawg players have had in the NFL. I wish We could push all that emotion on the side. We need a GREAT DRAFT no matter where they come from.

g-dawg likes this

Anyone that believes Dexter Lawrence will be better NFL player than Devin Bush, II is a dayum fool.

Yep, I went there.

1 hour ago, Doug Carlton said:

I love this mock. Makes way too much sense to actually happen. Bush back there with Jones is SCARY, In a division with shifty pass-catching RBs Bush matches up extremely well.

I even like the Holyfield pick. LOVE his rage for contact and his nifty feet when caught in the wash. Whoever drafts him is getting a good hard-working football player that has excelled in the toughest Conference in the nation. 40 times be ****ed.

Yep, I went there.

For you Holyfield fans, let me give you some ammo for the critics:

Holyfield runs slow which is perfect for allowing his blockers to get into their blocking assignments.  William Andrews was always more quick than fast.  FACT:  as many yards as Andrews had running the ball, he never had a run of more than 23 yards from the LOS!

Lots of times fast RBs can get to the LOS -too- quickly.  Before their blockers have time to get to their assignments...

so there.