Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
roguebeaver

Falcons won’t go 0 & 4 this preseason! Safe bet.

26 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, hjerry said:

Still don't care if the Falcons win in the preseason, and it still doesn't matter if they do

Come at me :munch:

I have mixed feelings about this one.  Even though the games don't count, I think winning in the pre-season sort of sets the tone for the rest of the year.  If you go out and lose 'em all, it's confusing to the players/coaches as to what kind of team do we really have....are we REALLY that bad....is our depth players that awful?!?!?!  I will say this, when we lost all of our PS games last year, I had a very ominous felling about how the season could/would play out--- and, of course, we all know how that went.  Seems like somebody on here recently did some research about the correlation between pre-season records and regular season records, and does it have any bearing on how a team's regular season turns out.....I sure would like to see that again.   

MD-FalconFan13 likes this

In their preseason, the historic 0-16 Detroit Lions went...oh nevermind.

Starters need to look sharp and we need to stay healthy. I'd like for the decent backups to look like they belong in the NFL and not on the street. Nothing else - including wins - really matters.

rounz and Malachore like this

I hate losing at anything. Tiddlywinks, backgammon or preseason games. You can bet most of the guys on the team feel the same way. Just go back and watch em cheering on the sidelines for the scrubs playing at the end of those games. The only people that like losing are TATF Tanker Boys. I even heard a clown on this board today saying he doesn't care if we ever win a Super Bowl. Jeez.

2018 Preseason Patriots 3-1 Win Superbowl

2017 Preseason Patriots 1-3 Lose Superbowl

2016 Preseason Patriots 3-1 Win Superbowl

2015 Preseason Patriots 2-2 Lose AFC Championship

2014 Preseason Patriots 2-2 Win Superbowl

Not necessarily 4-0 every year in preseason but at least some effort to try to win the games?

15 minutes ago, jlrfalcon said:

Not necessarily 4-0 every year in preseason but at least some effort to try to win the games?

Another Patriots mention. 

12 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Well played 

sooooooo, 0-5 then?

:ninja:

which of course still carries with it, 0-4 for the first 4.....so there's that  :lol:

ya_boi_j likes this

1 hour ago, papachaz said:

sooooooo, 0-5 then?

:ninja:

which of course still carries with it, 0-4 for the first 4.....so there's that  :lol:

Played better 

papachaz likes this

4 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

Now do the Lions preseason record when they went 0-16.

Browns too.

You guys need to stop this dumb bs.

Preseason matters in football. It doesn't matter in basketball or baseball tho, not even early in the regular season of baseball and basketball matter much. Anytime you put your helmets and pads on, any type of practice is meaningful. 16 regular season games or less you don't get much chances. It's the same with playoff series or games. In basketball or baseball, a playoff series can go up to 7 games. You get that many chances, even down 3-1. In football, it's only ONE game or go home.

Never have complacency or be overconfident. Coming into 2018 many Falcons fans like myself and even the front office, thought we were the same team as 2016 or 2017 and our roster was going to be good contending for the championship. If you don't upgrade, you can only get worse. Every year is different. You must adapt to the changes in the league and to teams who have studied you and gotten better. Practice ins meaningful. Treat every game like you want to win. Set that winning mentality not from the start of the regular season, but from the start of the off season which includes the preseason. 

Y'all have different opinions on football preseason than mine, and that's okay. I never underestimate the stat of 0-4 preseason teams never winning the championship, and an 0-4 preseason Falcons team has never won the division either. Preseason mainly tells you how much depth your team has combined with your coaching. Our depth in 2018 was horrible and that showed once the injuries started happening. 

duckhoa, PokerSteve and athell like this

Agree with a lot of that @mqg96.

I think using preseason as a way to get up to speed, check depth, determine 2nd and 3rd stringers etc is much more important than the overall record.

Especially with how vanilla games are, without schemes, with starters hardly playing, hanging regular season expectations on the backs of players who won't even be on the team shortly thereafter seems pointless.

Quality over quantity (wins) imo.

mqg96 likes this

3 hours ago, Panda said:

0-5 staring us in the face

as long as we don't lose those 16 games afterwards.  0-21 would destroy our fan base.

8 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

papachaz, TheJudge and athell like this

On 3/23/2019 at 0:33 PM, athell said:

Now do the Lions preseason record when they went 0-16.

Browns too.

You guys need to stop this dumb bs.

After 1000s of preseason games these two anomalies still get brought up as proof preseason doesn't matter? Bro.

3 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

After 1000s of preseason games these two anomalies still get brought up as proof preseason doesn't matter? Bro.

So you are just going to throw out those examples but keep the ones that fit your narrative?  Got it.

Also, which I know this is futile, but his own examples contradict themselves:

What was the difference there?  Why did they win the SB one year but lose the other?  If you ask Bill, I'm SURE one of the first things he would cite would be preseason record right?

Preseason wins mean nothing.  You are smarter than this.