My Bold Idea

Smiler11

I posted a full mock on the NFL Draft & FA forum here, but thought I would share my bold idea for the 1st round here...

"If you're going to think, think big. If you're going to think big, think bigger".

Going into the draft most at this point are agreed that our 2 biggest needs are OL and DT. Sure, we could do with better depth at CB, LB, RB and you can never have enough pass rushers but 95% of the posters on here are leaning towards DT or OL with #14. Looking at who the FO have shown an interest in so far it does indeed look like we will go that direction. Assuming the board falls the right way, with nine 2019 draft picks to play with and a GM/HC combo who are in win-now mode, I think we can and should be aggressive.

1st Round

1. Arizona - Kyler Murray, QB

2. San Francisco - Nick Bosa, DE

3. NY Jets - Quinnen Williams, DT

4. Oakland - Josh Allen, Edge

5. Tampa Bay - Devin White, LB

6. NY Giants - Dwayne Haskins, QB

7. Jacksonville - Rashan Gary, DT/DE

8. Detroit - Montez Sweat, Edge

9. Buffalo - DK Metcalf, WR

10. Denver - Drew Lock, QB

11. Cincinnati - Cody Ford, OL

12. Green Bay - Brian Burns, Edge

-------- WE HAVE A TRADE --------

The Atlanta Falcons have traded #45 (450 points), #79 (195 points) and a 2020 1st round pick (~500 points) to the Miami Dolphins for #13 (1150 points).

This makes sense for Miami who after failing to draft their franchise QB, they acquire an additional 2020 1st round pick in what should be a far stronger class for QB's. For a team in full rebuild mode an additional 2nd and 3rd round pick helps do that. For the Falcons, this makes sense as 2019 is a top heavy draft, particularly in the two major positions of need and with nine picks to play with in 2019, expect for TD to be his normal aggressive self in trading up to get the guys we want.

13. Atlanta - Jawaan Taylor, OL, Florida

14. Atlanta - Ed Oliver, DT, Houston

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol so you trade your second and third round picks??? Sorry but no. Again Why would you trade those two picks?? Especially when we’ve been hitting on them the last few years? If they do this, it will mess up this team. The quickest wayfor a team to regress

Edited by caponine

Just now, caponine said:

Lol so you trade your second and third round picks??? Sorry but no. Again Why would you trade those two picks?? Especially when we’ve been hitting on them the last few years? If they do this, it will mess up this team. 

It's not that big of a sacrifice. You're really only giving up one of those and a 1st next year for a 1st this year. You get two elite prospects. Not a bad gamble if you're not in love with anything next year. 

4 minutes ago, caponine said:

Lol so you trade your second and third round picks??? Sorry but no. Again Why would you trade those two picks?? Especially when we’ve been hitting on them the last few years? If they do this, it will mess up this team. 

For the #13 pick, yes. If you think Oliver and Taylor are the guys who put both lines over the top, I'd do it.

1 minute ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

It's not that big of a sacrifice. You're really only giving up one of those and a 1st next year for a 1st this year. You get two elite prospects. Not a bad gamble if you're not in love with anything next year. 

Same thing we thought when this team drafted Julio, and that trade set this team back. Could not get any better because they had no picks. i get it was more but a 2nd, 3rd and a 1st next year.? Im not sure

It's an All or nothing gamble for sure

You only do it if you're 100% sold on those two and them putting you over the top and getting you to the SB this year, but if one goes down with injury then..., and if it doesn't work this year then...

Big Gamble

1 minute ago, caponine said:

Same thing we thought when this team drafted Julio, and that trade set this team back. Could not get any better because they had no picks. i get it was more but a 2nd, 3rd and a 1st next year.? Im not sure

It set us so far back, we went 10 and 6 his rookie year and to the Conference finals with a 13 and 3 record the year after he was drafted. Our bad streak had more to do with us already having a depleted roster than what we gave up to get him. 

Today we have one of the best rosters in the league we just lack depth when injuries strike. If we could get two elite prospects and add them to this current roster you do it and ask questions later.

lol no. I am never for giving up future 1sts plus additional picks to move up. Even when we did it for Julio I was not pleased  

God forbid Ryan goes down and we have a top 5 pick next year...Way too big of a gamble to give up a 1st when you have no idea where it will be slotted.

Edited by PriMeTiiMe

1 minute ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

lol no. I am never for giving up future 1sts plus additional picks to move up. Even when we did it for Julio I was not pleased  

God forbid Ryan goes down and we have a top 5 pick next year...Way too big of a gamble to give up a 1st when you have no idea where it will be slotted.

I get that, but if Oliver or Taylor stayed in school, they're likely top 5 picks next year. Some have them pegged as top 5 prospects this year. 

6 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

It set us so far back, we went 10 and 6 his rookie year and to the Conference finals with a 13 and 3 record the year after he was drafted. Our bad streak had more to do with us already having a depleted roster than what we gave up to get him. 

Today we have one of the best rosters in the league we just lack depth when injuries strike. If we could get two elite prospects and add them to this current roster you do it and ask questions later.

ig u missed 2013 and 2014 right ?? oh and 2015

6 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Thank You lol

I'd be just as livid as I was the first time I saw you post this. With all of the contracts coming up, giving up 3 top 100 picks, which includes a future first rounder, for a player that isn't HOF caliber is a bad trade. Julio had best WR of All-Time type talent. Jawann Taylor is Trent Williams at best, which is good, but not worth giving up that kind of haul. 

4 minutes ago, vel said:

I'd be just as livid as I was the first time I saw you post this. With all of the contracts coming up, giving up 3 top 100 picks, which includes a future first rounder, for a player that isn't HOF caliber is a bad trade. Julio had best WR of All-Time type talent. Jawann Taylor is Trent Williams at best, which is good, but not worth giving up that kind of haul. 

Fair enough. How about if I switch Taylor and Oliver around - technically you'd be trading up for Oliver who some might consider a rare talent worth giving up a 2nd and a 3rd for. ;)

15 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

With more picks that kinda helps with the depth propblem

Granted not all picks are guaranteed to work out

17 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

Technically what set us back was not the trade but our poor drafting outside of his selection

4 minutes ago, Falconguy said:

With more picks that kinda helps with the depth propblem

Granted not all picks are guaranteed to work out

OK folks, we have to think about what the trade actually was. We traded picks from that draft and 2 from the following year. That's picks in 2011 (the year we drafted Julio) and 2012. Nothing from 2013, 2014 or 2015. Our depth problem was poor drafting outside of that draft not the trades it took to get Julio. 

The excuse is tired and doesn't stand up to reality. 

I don't think this move would be anywhere near as bold as the move we made for Julio. We're not losing a 1st rounder but rather bringing it forward a year, a year that matches well with our immediate needs. Unless something goes seriously wrong #13 is likely much better than where we'll be drafting in 2020.

It would go a long way to fixing the trenches, a criticism often levied at TD, and we'd still have 6 picks in 2019 to round out the roster. 

5 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

I guess you missed the fact that in the Julio trade we didn't give up a single pick from the years 2013, 2014 or 2015. To blame the Julio trade for our performance is ridiculous. 

ok chief lol whatever you say. The julio draft did affect this team for awhile whether u wanna believe it or not

1 minute ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

Ultimately, the question to ask is as follows:

Is the delta between Oliver and the DT available at #45 worth your 2019 3rd and 2020 1st...?

You’d have to be 1) incredibly sold on Oliver and 2) down on non Day 1 DT’s...

For me yes. If you look at the DT's or OT's likely available at #45 (lets say Dremont Jones and Tytus Howard) I'd say there is a gulf between the likes of Oliver/Taylor and those guys. 

1 minute ago, Smiler11 said:

Fair enough. How if I switch Taylor and Oliver around - technically you'd be trading up for Oliver who some might consider a rare talent worth giving up a 2nd and a 3rd for. ;)

At that point, just trade up for Oliver and keep moving. I don't think a first round OT is happening unless the board falls in a terrible way and they have to. I'm in the minority on that, but they haven't looked at enough early OL for me to believe they plan on adding a starter in the draft at #14. It's not often a draft lines up with our needs like this one. Take the very best DL you can at #14 or within striking range then capitalize on the depth of the other positions at #45.