ya_boi_j

Vic with and without a veteran

135 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Great post.

Let’s hope Beasley balls out and Quinn makes us all look like the amateurish ‘experts’ we truly really are.  

I appreciate the props.  Thank you.

I would really like to our FO run like the Braves in the 90's and early 00's.  Fans might criticize individual moves or trades....  losing David Justice???.... but we always had a sense that the Braves knew what they were doing.  Braves teams then always had a -chance-.

When it comes to the Falcons, I take no pleasure in criticizing the team coaches or the players.   I would really enjoy it, if this team would prove us wrong, by being more like the Braves were back then...

Vandy likes this

14 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

Put me in the camp that doesn't want a supposedly star caliber player who needs his hand held by a veteran player. 

One thing I've learned from watching the Falcons over the years.... sometimes, you have to take your entertainment where you can find it.

Regarding Beasley, I came up with a nickname for him:  Bye Week.   

Because for opposing OTs in 2018, that's what lining up against Beasley was like...

Still working on one for Riley.  Upchuck might be good, since that's what watching Riley play makes me want to do...

11 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

Freeney was a dawg bro!! There’s only a handful of dawgs in the entire nfl. That’s a fact. You can learn from a dawg tho and eventually become one OR at least be pretty good. You don’t think Julio benefited from being with Roddy all those years?? And he was already a dawg. Being with Roddy elevated his game. 

I was watching John randall’s An nfl life. They were explaining how he became the dawg he is. When he went to the vikes he only talked to and went against the vets. He got his @ss whipped everyday until he finally beat their best lineman. But without a lot of the guidance he was getting from doleman he would’ve probably just been a good player eventually. It’s like testing. Some students don’t test well but good tutoring from a great tester they get better.  No different for players. H3ll you played. You mean to tell there was never EVER anybody you drew confidence and inspiration from. Besides your natural ability? Or a move you stole from upperclassmen you played with?? Don’t act like you didn’t. We all did as athletes. I drew from 2 backs that were ahead of me so by the time I was the starter I ran with more power than i should’ve having 2 power guys in front of me. I asked them them questions and also watched HOW they did things. Just because these are pro’s doesn’t mean they don’t still need a foot up their @ss or some extra inspiration from another player. Maybe having Quinn full time will pull it out. 

I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said. The bold is where I get stuck with this argument and Vic. At some point, that vet is going to leave and you have to step up. Roddy had Horn. Julio had Roddy. But once they had to step up, they used what the vet taught them and thrived. 

Vic looked worse this past year than he did as a rookie. He's not throwing any of the moves he did in 2015-2016. At some point, Vic has to apply what Freeney taught him. Like you said, a tutor is always great, but they aren't taking the test. If the player isn't applying what's being taught, a vet can only do so much. That's my main issue with Vic that I just don't think a vet will fix. He's got to want to and I haven't seen it enough to believe suddenly he's going to. My dog is about to make $13MM. He's set for life with that kind of money. If he hasn't been motivated the last two seasons, I just don't see it changing this year, even if they add Houston. 

I hope I'm wrong, but I've seen enough of Vic.

Ergo Proxy and egoprime II like this

2 hours ago, egoprime II said:

I appreciate the props.  Thank you.

I would really like to our FO run like the Braves in the 90's and early 00's.  Fans might criticize individual moves or trades....  losing David Justice???.... but we always had a sense that the Braves knew what they were doing.  Braves teams then always had a -chance-.

When it comes to the Falcons, I take no pleasure in criticizing the team coaches or the players.   I would really enjoy it, if this team would prove us wrong, by being more like the Braves were back then...

Falcons actually kinda remind me of braves...smart and corporate, no riff-raff knuckleheads allowed on team....a lot of regular season and some playoff success....but no rings. 

Usually I can see what falcons plan is, but I completely missed it on Beasley...I didn’t see any way they were paying him $13M as bad as he played last year....a real head scratcher....

vel likes this

If we take advantage of this DL loaded draft and get Vic some help,, you will see a huge improvement ,, and showing you why he hasn't performed any better than he has... He needs some Beastly DTs  to take the pressure off of him,, And when that happens,, it will open the door for him to double his sacks. 

Agreed the move is a giant head scratcher. What I would give to have a 27 year old John abraham post-groin issues back on the team.

Vandy likes this

7 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Exactly. Ain’t nobody making no excuses for Vic. For the most part we want to see him prove us wrong. Until then he’s a scrub who up to this point has shown he isn’t worth a crap unless there’s an established vet on the roster. Once he proves that narrative wrong he’ll stop receiving that heat. 

Yea. Vic ain’t a dawg. He never was to me but he has all the tools to be a really good player. And that’s cool. He gotta step it up. I do think having Quinn full time will help. 

ya_boi_j and blkbigdog35 like this

On 3/20/2019 at 3:37 PM, ya_boi_j said:

That’s the kicker though, he didn’t become a full time pass rusher until he became a Falcon. He played in a 3-4 defense in Houston and wasn’t primarily a pass rusher in the defense. The intention on bringing him in wasn’t the same as bringing Freeney in

Brooks was never a "full time pass rusher" either in Houston or in Atlanta.  In Houston, he was tasked with setting the edge for JJ.  In Atlanta he was rotated with first round players who got all the premium snaps cause the FO wanted to vindicate their choices.

Vandy likes this

1 hour ago, Hometownfan said:

Brooks was never a "full time pass rusher" either in Houston or in Atlanta.  In Houston, he was tasked with setting the edge for JJ.  In Atlanta he was rotated with first round players who got all the premium snaps cause the FO wanted to vindicate their choices.

By full time pass rusher I mean primarily a pass rusher. Which is what I said. Never said he was a starter when he got to Atlanta. He didn’t become a starter until 2017 when Vic was moved to LB