Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Falcons Fan MVP

How long do you think it will take for our offense to start clicking under returning offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter?

47 posts in this topic

Do you think our offense will start clicking right away? Do you think the offense is most likely to get hot by the end of the season? Or  Do you think think the offense will most likely hit their ceiling by year 2 or 3? I expect them to start off good and get better as the season goes along. I expect them to hit their ceiling by the end of 2019 and 2020 season. I expect the offense to decline in 2021 when we most likely lose Alex Mack or Mack starts to really show his age. 

Following history, we've kind of laid stinkers in the first game of the year. I think we'll take 2-3 games and then have some big game to really kick it off... All depends if we can get Freeman going, and the defense doesn't take half a season to remember how to cover and tackle.

The Daywalker likes this

44 minutes ago, ATLFalcon36 said:

Following history, we've kind of laid stinkers in the first game of the year. I think we'll take 2-3 games and then have some big game to really kick it off... All depends if we can get Freeman going, and the defense doesn't take half a season to remember how to cover and tackle.

Started 8-0 under Koetter in 2012.

I don't know about the OPs question, but I predict we'll see more participation from the #1s in the second and third preseason games.  

I've always said preseason means jack s**t, but my mind has changed to the extent that you can't just play your starters in practice and hope they come out jelling September 5...especially with a truckload of new coaches coming in. 

2 minutes ago, ATLFalcon36 said:

Forgot about that, here's to the same.

After seeing highlights of that season the offense doesn't look that different than what they run now. Big difference is 2018 Matt and Julio are way better than their 2012 versions.

1 hour ago, octoslash said:

I don't know about the OPs question, but I predict we'll see more participation from the #1s in the second and third preseason games.  

I've always said preseason means jack s**t, but my mind has changed to the extent that you can't just play your starters in practice and hope they come out jelling September 5...especially with a truckload of new coaches coming in. 

I’m thinking there will be a lot more emphasis on actually winning pre-season games this year. 

5 minutes ago, Lowndesfalc said:

I’m thinking there will be a lot more emphasis on actually winning pre-season games this year. 

What does preseason have to do with it?  Falcons offense was not the problem last year until the Cle-GB weeks.  In fact they were one of the better offenses in the league, at least in scoring.

Preseason wins still mean jack.  

MoFalconsFan56 likes this

1 hour ago, athell said:

What does preseason have to do with it?  Falcons offense was not the problem last year until the Cle-GB weeks.  In fact they were one of the better offenses in the league, at least in scoring.

1 hour ago, Lowndesfalc said:

They will probably play their starters a little more.

Lowndesfalc likes this

My prediction is that we start of very hot for about the first 6 weeks and then it will transition into the defense carrying us the rest of the season. We will be up and down in the middle of the season but hopefully defense will pick up the slack. Julio and Matt will have amazing chemistry but I’m hoping that Dirk Kotter will be able to utilize all the weapons.

I think the running game will look way different. Hopefully he brings back the fullback on occasion. Using Stocker as a fullback that can catch will open some options up I think, somewhat like Dimarco gave us. I used to love those wheel routes to Dimarco, they were always there for them. The fullback forces the LB's to stay tight and the D can't go lite.

14 hours ago, athell said:

Last year was a testament to Matt Ryan's excellence, plain and simple.  He had no time to throw, an OC who seemed to be in a daze every other Sunday,  and a running game that barely existed. 

Yeah, they went on a nice red zone streak for a third of the season, but overall it was not that good, and if they hadn't had #2 we would've gone 2-14. 

JDaveG, FalconsIn2020 and athell like this

52 minutes ago, octoslash said:

Last year was a testament to Matt Ryan's excellence, plain and simple.  He had no time to throw, an OC who seemed to be in a daze every other Sunday,  and a running game that barely existed. 

Yeah, they went on a nice red zone streak for a third of the season, but overall it was not that good, and if they hadn't had #2 we would've gone 2-14. 

Underrated af.  Even by his own fanbase.  Ill never understand it.  He was amazing last year.

I think the offense is going to be great under Koetter, just because of the experienced talent on the offensive side of the ball. Ryan has been in this situation many times now, and he's (Julio too) got experience with Koetter. I'm not saying there won't be some growing pains, but I think the veteran leaders will know what to do, and I think the same leaders are very hungry for a championship. If major injuries don't pile up, and Freeman can return to form, then I see a top ten unit. 

I for one am glad that the Shanahan playbook/Sarkisian experiment is over. The Falcons can and have won with Koetter.

NeonDeion likes this

20 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

90% great out of the gate. 10% head scratcher bubble screens 

That’s Better than 40% toss sweeps.