Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ryantlanta

Elijah Holyfield did not improve 40 time at pro day.

208 posts in this topic

Just now, Francis York Morgan said:

"Often never live up to the hype" is kinda misleading. Not just for the "often never" thing, but players who do well at the combine are far more likely to be good players at the next level than those who don't, and there are a ton of stats supporting that.

I'm way bigger supporter of using good combines to confirm good players than to elevate bad players (because they're still bad). But a bad combine, especially historically bad like Holyfield had, is a big red flag. Literally not one RB ran as poorly as he did and had a good career in the past decade. Could be worse looking back before that too.

I'm talking about guys like Kevin White, Hasaan Reddick, John Ross, etc.  People put a lot of stock in combine numbers and tend to overlook history and game film.  That's what I'm talking about.  Those players that go from 2nd rounders to top 10 talents.  It happens every year.  THOSE types often never live up to the hype.

mqg96 likes this

1 hour ago, Knight of God said:

He has vision, power, and patience. I like him. Not a UGA homer...not even close

Slow as dirt, no hands, tries to avoid contact, not big enough to be a bruiser or transition to FB, and if he did put on weight for that he would be even slower

When you are running a 4.9 you are getting into DT type speed, LB's and CB's will catch him with ease. You can't be that slow at RB int he NFL his speed is a deal breaker and thin k how slow he will be when he gets older.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, runshoot said:

maybe the UGA homers will stop with the love for this kid. No thank you

It has nothing to do with this. We’re not thinking like that at all. We are fully aware that Elijah Holyfield only had one good year at UGA and should have stayed another year. Holyfield was a 4th string back behind HERRIEN in 2017!!! He didn’t do jack at UGA until his junior season, so he only had one year of starting experience. Chubb and Michel were already great from their freshman year AND they played all 4 years. Huge difference. Most other UGA players are known for upping their game in the NFL no matter how good or bad they may have looked in college or the combine. Hines Ward and Terrell Davis are perfect examples. It doesn’t mean that Holyfield will do good in the NFL, but if the Falcons drafted him 5th or 6th round he’ll follow the bloodline from his father in his hometown and shock the world. I love it when players with less hype or no attention comes in and do the unexpected. I think the Falcons would win a Super Bowl with Matt Ryan too. 

Edited by mqg96
hjerry likes this

6 minutes ago, athell said:

I'm talking about guys like Kevin White, Hasaan Reddick, John Ross, etc.  People put a lot of stock in combine numbers and tend to overlook history and game film.  That's what I'm talking about.  Those players that go from 2nd rounders to top 10 talents.  It happens every year.  THOSE types often never live up to the hype.

I agree. DK Metcalf could very well be a similar player. I just thought the way you phrased it was like saying that usually happens to players who do well at the combine. 

athell likes this

1 minute ago, Francis York Morgan said:

I agree. DK Metcalf could very well be a similar player. I just thought the way you phrased it was like saying that usually happens to players who do well at the combine. 

Nah, sorry I probably could have worded that better.

5 minutes ago, athell said:

Ahh Hahh! This guy is spewing out them dimes and facts. ++++

athell likes this

I like Holyfield but even Legarette Blount ran a 4.59 at near 250 lbs...:lol:  Holyfield is 216 and half of that is muscle. Dude is molasses...

34 minutes ago, Gold4425 said:

Alabama's LB, Mack Wilson said yesterday, "I'm a football player not a track star." Sometimes too much is put on these times. Remember Duke Riley blew it away. I still think Holyfield could be a good, late round get for us. But I understand there is a strong UGA hate with some so it won't happen.

:lol:

1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Just had a better OL than Hill in college.  UGA, like Bama, makes life easy in the RB & QB

SEC teams like UGA or BAMA make it easier for the QB, because of a great O-line and great run game/running backs. UGA has been the best running back school in the nation for the past decade. UGA made Knoshaun Moreno, Isiah Crowell, Gurley, Chubb, and Michel starters. BAMA made Eddie Lacy relevant early on and they had Mark Ingram, TJ Yeldon, and Derrick Henry. So I have to disagree about making it life easier for the running back, but QB’s I agree cause SEC QB’s usually don’t make it to the NFL.

9 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

It has nothing to do with this. We’re not thinking like that at all. We are fully aware that Elijah Holyfield only had one good year at UGA and should have stayed another year. Holyfield was a 4th strong back behind HERRIEN in 2017!!! He didn’t do jack at UGA until his junior season, so he only had one year of starting experience. Chubb and Michel were already great from their freshman year AND they played all 4 years. Huge difference. Most other UGA players are known for upping their game in the NFL no matter how good or bad they may have looked in college or the combine. Hines Ward and Terrell Davis are perfect examples. It doesn’t mean that Holyfield will do good in the NFL, but if the Falcons drafted him 5th or 6th round he’ll follow the bloodline from his father in his hometown and shock the world. I love it when players with less hype or no attention comes in and do the unexpected. I think the Falcons would win a Super Bowl with Matt Ryan too. 

I agree with everything except this. This keeps getting touted around, but it's not wholly accurate. We're just paying attention to and remembering the ones that upped their game, while plenty haven't.

John Jenkins anyone?

38 minutes ago, Gold4425 said:

Alabama's LB, Mack Wilson said yesterday, "I'm a football player not a track star." Sometimes too much is put on these times. Remember Duke Riley blew it away. I still think Holyfield could be a good, late round get for us. But I understand there is a strong UGA hate with some so it won't happen.

I totally agree with you on this, and this still makes me question, does Dan Quinn care much more about speed than skill and leverage? Cause didn’t Vic Beasley had a great combine and time? and we’ve seen how he’s turned out. 

I just have a hard time believing he's actually that slow.. plays so much faster.. Guess you can't question the clock though.. I'd still love to have him.. :shrug:

47 minutes ago, papachaz said:

Holyfield should have stayed in school instead of getting all pissy that the team didn't get picked for the playoffs (and abandoning them), which, they didn't deserve anyway. The game they played in their bowl game proved it as well.

Is another year for Holyfield suddenly making him run faster, making the other backs on Georgia disappear (if Zeus looks good his carries would have dropped big time if he had returned), or making half of an insane 2020 RB draft class disappear? 

I'm a Georgia fan btw. I'm not being a homer, I never bought the day 2 hype for Holyfield or the idea that he'd be a real player in the NFL. But I think it's insane to suggest he's getting undrafted. I still think he gets drafted. I said 4th/5th all the way and never budged on others suggesting higher before the combine. I might be wrong though on 4th/5th however. It might be more 6th or 7th.  

But I know 1 thing that is a guaran-freaking-tee. With that 2020 RB draft class, Holyfield is ABSOLUTELY undrafted next year, guaranteed. This year with a meh RB draft class, he has a chance at getting drafted. Next year? NO chance. None. 0. 

mqg96 and papachaz like this

55 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

You guys really think long speed is all there is to YPC????????!!!????!!!!!!!!!????

A late round rookie is going to have to play special teams, the punter is going to be faster than him.

6 minutes ago, hjerry said:

I agree with everything except this. This keeps getting touted around, but it's not wholly accurate. We're just paying attention to and remembering the ones that upped their game, while plenty haven't.

John Jenkins anyone?

Jarvis Jones comes to mind. UGA homers kept trying to say he played faster, was the next Terell Suggs, he would be a baller, etc.

hjerry likes this

50 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

You do man. I don't believe in Free, Ito, or Hill to do it.

at 215lbs he is not exactly a killer power back like Turner was. If he gains weight he would end up slower than DT's

He will get drafted or signed by the Patriots. Come in on short yardage and goal line and help beat somebody...

41 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

No one here wants him day 2.

I'm talking 6-7th

a 4.9 RB will never make it in the NFL, imagine how slow he will be when he ages or gains weight?

Sometimes I got to laugh about the UGA hate not saying every UGA player is going to be great, but think it's the missing link to a Super Bowl Championship. :ninja:

23 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

It has nothing to do with this. We’re not thinking like that at all. We are fully aware that Elijah Holyfield only had one good year at UGA and should have stayed another year. Holyfield was a 4th strong back behind HERRIEN in 2017!!! He didn’t do jack at UGA until his junior season, so he only had one year of starting experience. Chubb and Michel were already great from their freshman year AND they played all 4 years. Huge difference. Most other UGA players are known for upping their game in the NFL no matter how good or bad they may have looked in college or the combine. Hines Ward and Terrell Davis are perfect examples. It doesn’t mean that Holyfield will do good in the NFL, but if the Falcons drafted him 5th or 6th round he’ll follow the bloodline from his father in his hometown and shock the world. I love it when players with less hype or no attention comes in and do the unexpected. I think the Falcons would win a Super Bowl with Matt Ryan too. 

Look at your Avatar, ha ha ha

UGA homers trying real hard to convince us they aren't UGA homers is like wearing a MAGA hat and trying to deny you are a Trump supporter

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, athell said:

Man we don't need anymore projects on this team.

Projects were how we got to the Superbowl.

Its the whole theory behind our "Plan D" system.

Edited by FalconAge

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

I'd rather trade a late rounder for Jordan Howard... 

Id like it but they are gonna need another RB on a rookie contract JH got to be 5 mill maybe

3 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

Look at your Avatar, ha ha ha

UGA homers trying real hard to convince us they aren't UGA homers is like wearing a MAGA hat and trying to deny you are a Trump supporter

Says the person without an avatar at all. I could assume you're anybody. MAD MAN FIVE NINETY SEVEN. I can tell by your post you were desperate to find something to disagree on so hard, but you know I'm right. No UGA bias at all. We know who Holyfield was at UGA, especially before last season. Here's one thing I do know, there's a HUGE chunk of the Tech fan base hiding on here, who are secretly hating on UGA and deep down inside wish they had players successful in the NFL like our program.