ryantlanta

If Ed Oliver, Jonah Williams, and Devin White are all still on the board at 14 who do we take?

If Ed Oliver, Jonah Williams, and Devin White are all still on the board at 14 who do we take?   141 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• Jonah Williams
    • Ed Oliver
    • Devin White

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

65 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, hjerry said:

Is he a better OG than Quinton Nelson?

A better OT than any of the tackles that went top 10 in the last 5 years?

He won't likely be a top ten pick, but a very good prospect for the Falcons to consider to protect the franchise QB. They may think "Sombrero" is ok and go somewhere else.... From the choices offered by the OP I go with Jonah Williams.

I think a deal will be reached with JG. He will be here this coming season, as he is franchised as we know. Then there is Sanat as DT with Crawford and McCain. If BPA at EDGE (Preferable.) is not available at 14, I like Jonah.

What is the reason that you want a DT at 14? Do you think TD will let JG walk next year to save $$ and draft an unproven rookie to take his place? Or that a valuable DT is not worth 12-14M/yr? (May be less if TD can structure JG's deal to be cap friendly.). We already know what JG can do for this D.

Devin White is not going to be around most likely. If he is we should not pass on him. Forget what you currently have because you are now in a new world if you take him. You suddenly have a much better defense.

Falconsin2012 and Vandy like this

22 minutes ago, HOYLE said:

Devin White is not going to be around most likely. If he is we should not pass on him. Forget what you currently have because you are now in a new world if you take him. You suddenly have a much better defense.

Think Bears linebacker corps once Roquan was added to the mix

trevathan & Roquan = Debo & White

And in two years, Debo & White could be the better duo

Vandy likes this

4 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Think Bears linebacker corps once Roquan was added to the mix

trevathan & Roquan = Debo & White

And in two years, Debo & White could be the better duo

Debo and White may be better duo next year if it happened. I think Devin White and Ed Oliver are top 2 on my board.

Vandy and Falconsin2012 like this

6 minutes ago, falconsfan4life3 said:

Debo and White may be better duo next year if it happened. I think Devin White and Ed Oliver are top 2 on my board.

Me too...I’d just flip the order.  Oliver is my top prospect in the draft.  If we had #1 pick, I’d take him unless someone wanted to trade up for a QB

And Debo is better than Travathian.  But Roquan is better than White. 

On 3/19/2019 at 6:02 AM, 1989Fan said:

Thin on the back end, our top 3 are set.

I think we take  CB or 2, but hopefully not until round 3.

that said there is a chance we need to replace Tru after the season. Tough having DE, DT, CB and LB all as potential needs due to contracts.

Oliver should be the pick in this scenario -because Ed Oliver would be the best natural pass-rusher on the Atlanta Falcons roster (Day 1)(and the best run-defender from SDE or UT positions).

He can save The Falcons salary cap money for 5 seasons. He's locked-in. He can replace someone at DE or DT (UT).

Brees is stepping-up into the middle of the line-of-scrimmage, not the edges. The Saints provide him with Pro Bowl OGs to do this. Need pressure there, not just hustle----talent. Speed.

Still, I feel that DQ and TD will go CB, DE (Sweat if he falls some), or OT.

On 3/18/2019 at 4:18 PM, ryantlanta said:

Who do we take?

Wont surprise me if we dont trade up to get Oliver..but if all three happen to be there you definitely take oliver if you think ty can hold it down for you at RT.

Schwarzwald likes this

Oliver and White are most likely gone by 14 so the question is Jonah Williams or someone else?

I'd take Cody Ford over Williams but Williams over Wilkins if Ford is unavailable.

We have GOT to lock down that RT spot and starting DT is deeper than starting OT in this years draft.

My take on it is not only about on the field, but off the field with salary implications considered. Taking White or Oliver will obviously make your defense better, but if you take White, well now Campbell isn't a big hole to fill, and you can afford to pay Debo and consider keeping Grady as well. Doing all that and being able to easily replace one of your starters day 1 with a better talent. 

Not only that, but you can even consider blitzing/rushing Campbell off the edge more and have 2 studs sitting at LB still. White fits at WLB perfectly, and seems to offer more versatility in all aspects than Oliver. Oliver just fills a need, although important one. Sure you could flip and say well now Grady is more expendable, and we can re-sign Campbell much cheaper, throw Foye in the mix, or just draft another guy.

With that mindset, you're kinda back in the same position as before if Grady does leave though. Still gotta find someone to put next to Oliver. If White is the pick, I think you could even snag Dexter Lawrence in the 2nd or sit on Jeffrey Simmons.  I'm also just not a fan of having 2 small DT's with Grady and Oliver next to each other.

So look at it more as would you rather have White, Debo, Campbell at LB with Grady & Dex or Simmons at DT; or do you want Foye, Debo, Campbell with Grady & Oliver?

I exclusively left out Jonah Williams because he's not even on the same level as the other 2. 

Oliver 

White

J. Williams

DL should be the primary focus this draft. I like Oliver enough to forgo the athleticism of White. Oliver can be one of those special players, but I think his ceiling is lower than White’s. 

White is intriguing because of the sheer talent he brings. It’s no surprise that when Jones went down last year our entire defense changed and we had no one that could fill that role. Worse case scenario is that Jones gets hurt again this season. Being able to slide White to the middle and have depth at LB is a huge advantage.

I’m not sold on J. Williams. I’ve been reading a few write ups  about him. He seems to compare pretty well to previous late first round offensive lineman. Not a fan of passing on much better players for a player that seems like a reach.

I’m curious to see if Greedy will be there during our pick. That could make some really interesting choices.

Jonah Williams is the safest pick that will bookend along with Jake Matthews.  First of all IF Oliver is there at 14 which I bet he isn't we move up and if we do I'd rather have Quinn Williams.  

On 3/18/2019 at 5:10 PM, atljbo said:

By no means am I giving up on Foye... Most likely this is Campbell last year..... 

Saying that .. I think Deion Jones has shown how important a cover LB is like Debo is .... 

Our whole D  is ****** without that ... If you can add that to the team (which allow us to be more aggressive like we was at the end of the year) ... That has to be considered

Valid point. If White is on board I might pull trigger. He’s a game changing talent. We rotate LBs a lot but primarily having Debo and White would be a fantastic lb corps with Foye and Campbell rotating in