Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spts1

Zion Williamson is Shawn Kemp

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

They keep comparing him to people like Lebron, Griffin or Barkley.  I believe he is a shorter, left handed version of Shawn Kemp.  Barkley had more perimeter game than people give him credit for.  Up until the early 2000's when you needed a legit center,  Kemp and Dominique Wilkins were two of the very few forwards that could dominate the paint even with a legit center.  They might have been the only two along with Barkley.  Williamson is gonna have the advantage of tearing up a NBA that features centers with a AVERAGE height of 6'9'. 

NBA teams don't post centers hardly anymore either.  Everything is perimeter.  This favors a forward who likes to get to the rim because most centers are used to guarding further away from the rim. This means he will not necessarily have to develop a consistent perimeter game.  Its gonna be interesting to see if my theory on this holds up with him.  Would like to see him paired with Collins...

Edited by slickgadawg
AutumnEffect and m2Falcons like this

Zion plays like Barkley.  When he doesn’t get those Duke ref calls and starts getting called for running into people in the paint like a bull in a china shop he will not be near as good in NBA.  He will foul out in first quarter of every game initiating contact when he has the ball as much as he does.

7 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

They keep comparing him to people like Lebron, Griffin or Barkley.  I believe he is a shorter, left handed version of Shawn Kemp.  Barkley had more perimeter game than people give him credit for.  Up until the early 2000's when you needed a legit center,  Kemp and Dominique Wilkins were two of the very few forwards that could dominate the paint even with a legit center.  They might have been the only two along with Barkley.  Williamson is gonna have the advantage of tearing up a NBA that features centers with a AVERAGE height of 6'9'. 

NBA teams don't post centers hardly anymore either.  Everything is perimeter.  This favors a forward who likes to get to the rim because most centers are used to guarding further away from the rim. This means he will not necessarily have to develop a consistent perimeter game.  Its gonna be interesting to see if my theory on this holds up with him.  Would like to see him paired with Collins...

way better 1st step and jump shot for Zion

Zion just had two finishes and then a midcourt bounce pass in a two minute span against FSU that were all NBA All-Pro level.

And I am not easily impressed.

AutumnEffect likes this

16 hours ago, Is This What You Want? said:

Zion plays like Barkley.  When he doesn’t get those Duke ref calls and starts getting called for running into people in the paint like a bull in a china shop he will not be near as good in NBA.  He will foul out in first quarter of every game initiating contact when he has the ball as much as he does.

you mean he will not get the Lebron treatment?:lol:

I get being contrarian, but Zion will ball in the NBA while he has his athleticism and in the right types of situations, he'll be unreal at those teams too. 4 out offense where it's wide open so he can attack and the transition game is a part of the NBA too. He'll get star calls in the NBA fairly quickly as well so it's not a problem.