Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IndiscreetGeek

Not so fast...

49 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, athell said:

pff is also that sound yer butt makes when you fart but there's like no actual sound but it's stanky af

Ehh... I always kind of imagine it as the fart scene from Step Brothers...... just not as funny.

Knight of God and athell like this

15 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I know. I quoted you because we were literally just talking about this a couple days ago. Just thought it was funny 

Yeah man, I caught you. The statement was made for whoever is watching our convo.

1 hour ago, Francis York Morgan said:

With Ben Garland and Ryan Schraeder looking even better. PFF and OL don't mix. They're awful at evaluating for whatever reason.

I like PFF for certain positional grades.  Offensive line isn’t one.  An OL is a family.  Tough to grade just one member without accounting for the guys next to him.

Every single year multiple castoff linemen turn into Pro Bowl players

Posted (edited)

48 minutes ago, TRUju2111 said:

They will never understand, just look at my thread

Yeah I know. They're optimistic if nothing else... Can't knock em for that I guess.

Edited by IndiscreetGeek

4 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I like PFF for certain positional grades.  Offensive line isn’t one.  An OL is a family.  Tough to grade just one member without accounting for the guys next to him.

Yup.

If I am a tackle and  I know that I am suppose to have help inside... I am going to take more of an outside step.

If the guy inside is not able to help or he just misses his shot and  the defender wins inside then  according to PFF   I would be the guy giving up the sack.

falconidae and Falcons In 2012 like this

2 hours ago, tl;dr said:

Haha not long at all.

I'm not the biggest fan of PFF either honestly. I don't think they are just a gold standard for things, but I do think they raise some valid points. Carpenter played on that atrocious NY Jets line, and now he will be playing between two good-very good players in Mack and Matthews. That alone should help him out. 

Yes herr Schweitzer benefited from the move 

Our OL sucked last year, couldn't elevate the guys we had there. Yet they will elevate the new guys

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, athell said:

pff is also that sound yer butt makes when you fart but there's like no actual sound but it's stanky af

:huh::lol:

athell likes this

On 3/15/2019 at 4:38 PM, youngbloodz said:

Didn't PFF have Ben Garland the highest rated guard in the NFC South this year?

I'm not sure, but his grade was only 69.3.

I wouldnt mind Ben back as swing again...hes a solid player, does a lot of little things, and is a great locker room presence.

Ultimately, I think we should draft OL in 2 of our first 3 picks, but thats just me...

35 minutes ago, ki46dinah said:

I wouldnt mind Ben back as swing again...hes a solid player, does a lot of little things, and is a great locker room presence.

Ultimately, I think we should draft OL in 2 of our first 3 picks, but thats just me...

With our needs  in the front 7.... That would be disappointing to me.

I think we may come away with 2 linemen  from the draft but IMO the first 3 to 4 picks will be  on defense.... preferably adding a guy to each level as we are still very thin at all levels of the defense

On 3/15/2019 at 2:50 PM, youngbloodz said:

Complete b.s. too. PFF use to be good

Maybe the context is more important than the actual stats. I’m not familiar with pff. Maybe they need an adjusted grade for the actual context of the play. Not sure if this makes sense but it does to me. 

On 3/15/2019 at 6:45 PM, Falconsin2012 said:

I like your avatar. Hubba hubba.

Falcons In 2012 likes this

On 3/15/2019 at 6:45 PM, Falconsin2012 said:

I remember when PFF first appeared reading an article about a team that had tried to do that on their own- evaluate every single play of every nfl game. They gave up because they realized there was just no way to know what every lineman's assignment on any given play was and it was impossible to judge the Oline without knowing that. Think the OLine grades are their weakest point. Also, no way for them to judge how a player will do in another situation.

I like PFF as another tool in the toolbox for evaluating players. As the only tool, leaves a lot to be desired. 

Falcons In 2012 likes this

12 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Inside zone coming boys. I liked this review of last year; revealing:

We ran an outside run play 91% of our runs. Yeah, a lot of that is TeCo being a strictly outside dude, but it's also because our OL was not capable of running inside zone last year after starting OGs got hurt. Right side OL needed replacement before that 5 game losing skid. Hopefully, the OL moves so far and maybe another on draft day solidify our ability to run the ball.

This will go a long way keeping the hits down on Matt; even if effective pass rush is the same. I suspect it'll be better not having to drop back 2/3s of the time to protect your QB. :tiphat: 

Knight of God likes this