texasfalconfan

if ryan cant get rid of the ball in 2.5 seconds it really doesnt matter who is on the oline

52 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, hjerry said:

Yall are devoting far more time and research than this one actually deserves 

You're absolutely correct.  They are out in force today.  It's Friday.  I'm gonna enjoy my day.

21 minutes ago, GeorgiaBoyz said:

Matt’s only problem is when you put a bad OL in front of him .

That tends to be a problem for any quarterback. Matt handles it better than most.

30 minutes ago, Tandy said:

Here are the actual numbers from 2018:

Matt Ryan - Average Time to Throw - 2.68 sec - 608 attempts - 69.4% completions, Aggressiveness factor -  16.8 %   35 TD, 8 Int,           8.5 Average Intended Air Yards, 6.5 Average Completed Air Yards, 4924 total yards passing.

The other 2 QBs you mentioned:

Tom Brady - Average Time to Throw - 2.61 sec - 570 attempts - 65.8% completions, Aggressiveness factor -  13.9 %   29 TD, 11 Int,           7.6 Average Intended Air Yards, 5.6 Average Completed Air Yards, 4355 total yards passing.

Drew Brees - Average Time to Throw - 2.59 sec - 489 attempts - 74.4% completions, Aggressiveness factor -  15.5 %   32 TD, 5 Int,           7.1 Average Intended Air Yards, 5.9 Average Completed Air Yards, 3992 total yards passing.

The top 2 quarterbacks in the league for  Average Time To Throw:

Derek Carr - Average Time to Throw - 2.55 sec - 553 attempts - 68.9% completions, Aggressiveness factor -  13.2 %   19 TD, 10 Int,           6.7 Average Intended Air Yards, 4.9 Average Completed Air Yards, 4049 total yards passing.

Ben R - Average Time to Throw - 2.55 sec - 675 attempts - 67% completions, Aggressiveness factor - 16.7 %  34 TD, 16 Int,               7.7 Average Intended Air Yards, 4.8 Average Completed Air Yards, 5130 total yards passing.

Finally - the 2 other QB's considered by many the best - the reigning MVP and Rodgers

Patrick Mahomes - Average Time to Throw - 2.91 sec - 580 attempts - 66% completions, Aggressiveness factor -  12.2 %  50 TD, 12 Int,         9.2 Average Intended Air Yards, 6.4 Average Completed Air Yards, 5097 total yards passing.

Aaron Rodgers - Average Time to Throw - 2.95 sec - 597 attempts - 62.3% completions, Aggressiveness factor -  13.7 %   25 TD, 2 Int,           8.8 Average Intended Air Yards, 6.0 Average Completed Air Yards, 4442 total yards passing.

For clarification - 

Aggressiveness (AGG%)
Aggressiveness tracks the amount of passing attempts a quarterback makes that are into tight coverage, where there is a defender within 1 yard or less of the receiver at the time of completion or incompletion. AGG is shown as a % of attempts into tight windows over all passing attempts.

This data deserves its own thread and should be pinned

2 hours ago, texasfalconfan said:

i have been reading many of the comments about carpenter and brown, and also drafting cody ford, or jawaan taylor. i think ryan’s inability to get rid of the ball fast enough, 2.5 seconds or less on EVERY play with accuracy is a lot of our problem. lets be real we have had julio jones, calvin ridley, muhamed sanu, tevin coleman, and austin hooper there is absolutely no way he cant find an open person in  2.5 seconds. imagine brady or even brees with that talent what they would do to defenses. the reason both are so good is because the find a receiver open in less than 2.5 seconds, and they are on point. ryan hesitates, and then makes bad decisions when pressured. i think shanahan knew this and scripted the offense so that ryan would have the ball out quickly, which lead to ryans mvp season. as i understand it koetter is more of a down field oc. this concerns me because it takes longer for plays to develop. ultimately at playoff time when teams are in win or go ho e mode opposing defenses find that extra gear and thats when ryan struggles. point of all of this is everyone wants to blame the oline but ryan bears a lot of the blame. i teally hope koetter and ryan can figure out how to get the ball out quicker.

The reason they are so much better than Ryan is because they didn't play behind Dimi OLines. I'm pinging @Tandy who's done some stop watch research on Ryan's snap to throw metrics. Maybe she can post em. Truth be told Ryan has suffered since Dimi tried to replace the OLinemen he inherited from Reeves and McKay. He's been in a RG vortex for nearly a decade. Now he's putting his money on Jamon Brown in 2019, while NFL interior DLines are becoming even more unblockable. There is no doubt in my mind Brady and Brees would have been road kill behind some of our Dimi OLines. Check their game logs. When they got hit they got neutralized.

The thing that stands out to me about Matt is he is "one tough hombre." There have been numerous times when I didn't expect Matt to get back up after being destroyed by some big *** DL. They consistently drive him to the ground and many times I've felt that roughing the passer should be called. Our OL has never been solid since Matt arrived in 2008. Matt is definitely a very good QB and I'm hoping he gets a ring before his career is up.

He certainly deserves it!

FalconsIn2020 likes this

55 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

The reason they are so much better than Ryan is because they didn't play behind Dimi OLines. I'm pinging @Tandy who's done some stop watch research on Ryan's snap to throw metrics. Maybe she can post em. Truth be told Ryan has suffered since Dimi tried to replace the OLinemen he inherited from Reeves and McKay. He's been in a RG vortex for nearly a decade. Now he's putting his money on Jamon Brown in 2019, while NFL interior DLines are becoming even more unblockable. There is no doubt in my mind Brady and Brees would have been road kill behind some of our Dimi OLines. Check their game logs. When they got hit they got neutralized.

I think the main thing separating them right now is that opposing teams get flags thrown for touching Brees or Brady...keeps the chains moving on 3rd downs.

PokerSteve likes this

2 hours ago, takeitdown said:

I don't think he's saying Matt is bad.  I think he's saying the only time there's a problem is when his OL is absolute garbage.  And that would be true of most QBs.

Ryan isn't the style of QB I generally like, but he's won me over with his stellar consistency playing behind lines that are seldom in the realm of the New England or New Orleans type lines.

Thank you . I didn’t even bother to explain . I’m no fan of Matt but I’m not ignorant either . Also not looking for a QB debate . 

Dude Ryan has one of the quickest releases I the game. He has made some trash olines look adequate based solely on his ability to make the quick read/throw.

Dumbest post in a while.

7 hours ago, texasfalconfan said:

i have been reading many of the comments about carpenter and brown, and also drafting cody ford, or jawaan taylor. i think ryan’s inability to get rid of the ball fast enough, 2.5 seconds or less on EVERY play with accuracy is a lot of our problem. lets be real we have had julio jones, calvin ridley, muhamed sanu, tevin coleman, and austin hooper there is absolutely no way he cant find an open person in  2.5 seconds. imagine brady or even brees with that talent what they would do to defenses. the reason both are so good is because the find a receiver open in less than 2.5 seconds, and they are on point. ryan hesitates, and then makes bad decisions when pressured. i think shanahan knew this and scripted the offense so that ryan would have the ball out quickly, which lead to ryans mvp season. as i understand it koetter is more of a down field oc. this concerns me because it takes longer for plays to develop. ultimately at playoff time when teams are in win or go ho e mode opposing defenses find that extra gear and thats when ryan struggles. point of all of this is everyone wants to blame the oline but ryan bears a lot of the blame. i teally hope koetter and ryan can figure out how to get the ball out quicker.

I'm not sure exactly what dimension you live in, but here in the real world nothing you said bears any resemblance to reality.

8 hours ago, texasfalconfan said:

There it is!!!!

8 hours ago, texasfalconfan said:

I agree.

Ryan stinks, and we should never have traded Joe Namath straight up for him, back in...what was it...1936?

9 hours ago, texasfalconfan said:

:rolleyes:

i used to think that if i missed a georgia play, it was my fault mike bobo threw a pick. or joe terazinski took a sack. then i realized it had nothing to do with me. it was because despite kicking out lineman like a turnstile, they would miss assignments. it wasnt me, or mike, or joe.... well, maybe it was joes fault. but the point is, a qb can only be as successful as the parts around him allow. and matt ryan makes the absolute most he can out of the line hes got.

On 3/15/2019 at 11:56 AM, FalconKick said:

Are you serious right now?

You heard what the man said!!! 2.5 seconds foo and he mean it!

The stats from Tandy are fantastic. The most impressive thing about Ryan is how aggressive he is while still having a low interception rate. It’s crazy that his aggressive rate is much higher than Maholmes and Rodgers who are known as gunslingers. Matt Ryan is so underrated that it isn’t even funny.