texasfalconfan

if ryan cant get rid of the ball in 2.5 seconds it really doesnt matter who is on the oline

52 posts in this topic

i have been reading many of the comments about carpenter and brown, and also drafting cody ford, or jawaan taylor. i think ryan’s inability to get rid of the ball fast enough, 2.5 seconds or less on EVERY play with accuracy is a lot of our problem. lets be real we have had julio jones, calvin ridley, muhamed sanu, tevin coleman, and austin hooper there is absolutely no way he cant find an open person in  2.5 seconds. imagine brady or even brees with that talent what they would do to defenses. the reason both are so good is because the find a receiver open in less than 2.5 seconds, and they are on point. ryan hesitates, and then makes bad decisions when pressured. i think shanahan knew this and scripted the offense so that ryan would have the ball out quickly, which lead to ryans mvp season. as i understand it koetter is more of a down field oc. this concerns me because it takes longer for plays to develop. ultimately at playoff time when teams are in win or go ho e mode opposing defenses find that extra gear and thats when ryan struggles. point of all of this is everyone wants to blame the oline but ryan bears a lot of the blame. i teally hope koetter and ryan can figure out how to get the ball out quicker.

Flying Falcon likes this

Ok... lol. It’s hard to follow when the actual rock solid pieces we have get put out on front street when there are so many other guys at fault are still being counted on. Let’s try to see what a Matt Ryan with an nfl caliber oline looks like first. I think it’s gonna be something to see. 

PokerSteve likes this

Ryan has been under pressure and running for his life his entire career here. I actually don't think he'd know what to do if the OL gave him a real pocket and time to throw. Ryan is one of the best QB's in NFL history when under pressure. You are off your rocker

32 minutes ago, texasfalconfan said:

i have been reading many of the comments about carpenter and brown, and also drafting cody ford, or jawaan taylor. i think ryan’s inability to get rid of the ball fast enough, 2.5 seconds or less on EVERY play with accuracy is a lot of our problem. lets be real we have had julio jones, calvin ridley, muhamed sanu, tevin coleman, and austin hooper there is absolutely no way he cant find an open person in  2.5 seconds. imagine brady or even brees with that talent what they would do to defenses. the reason both are so good is because the find a receiver open in less than 2.5 seconds, and they are on point. ryan hesitates, and then makes bad decisions when pressured. i think shanahan knew this and scripted the offense so that ryan would have the ball out quickly, which lead to ryans mvp season. as i understand it koetter is more of a down field oc. this concerns me because it takes longer for plays to develop. ultimately at playoff time when teams are in win or go ho e mode opposing defenses find that extra gear and thats when ryan struggles. point of all of this is everyone wants to blame the oline but ryan bears a lot of the blame. i teally hope koetter and ryan can figure out how to get the ball out quicker.

You do know that matt Ryan has played better in the playoffs then almost any other qb... including brady

38 minutes ago, texasfalconfan said:

Thanks for sharing your expert opinion on this matter.....please call back during normal business hours

8 hours ago, texasfalconfan said:

Take 4 cereal boxes and spread them out in front of you.  Then say hike and try to simply make eye contact with 3 of the 4 boxes while counting to 2 and a half.  It’s not easy

Now imagine multiple 280 pound sociopaths are trying to push your **** in if your OL falters while you’re trying to make eye contact with those 3 boxes.  Then complete 70% of your throws to one of the 4 cereal boxes.  

Matt Ryan = Boss

I’m no Matt Ryan fan beyond supporting the ATL Falcons QB “my QB” but you’re way off here . MR flourished under Koetter . He’ll be fine . Matt’s only problem is when you put a bad OL in front of him .

Atl Falcon likes this

Just now, GeorgiaBoyz said:

I’m no Matt Ryan fan beyond supporting the ATL Falcons QB “my QB” but you’re way off here . MR flourished under Koetter . He’ll be fine . Matt’s only problem is when you put a bad OL in front of him .

lol dafuq is this nonsense?

Just now, athell said:

lol dafuq is this nonsense?

Fairly simple English . I’m not a fan . I support him . He’s good . He’s only not good when his OL is trash . Do you comprehend how ? 

1 minute ago, GeorgiaBoyz said:

Fairly simple English . I’m not a fan . I support him . He’s good . He’s only not good when his OL is trash . Do you comprehend how ? 

It is fairly simple english, it is also very simply incorrect...

Matt Ryan has been the absolute model of consistency over his career and has had to endure some god awful lines.  "He only does well with good lines" is blatantly incorrect.

Just now, athell said:

It is fairly simple english, it is also very simply incorrect...

Matt Ryan has been the absolute model of consistency over his career and has had to endure some god awful lines.  "He only does well with good lines" is blatantly incorrect.

Ok ..

19 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

No.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing/2018/all

You could have done a minute of research to prove that both premises - that you need to throw in under 2.5 seconds to be successful, and that Matt Ryan is slow getting the ball out - make no sense.

Nice find.  

I guess every team needs a new qb since nobody in the NFL hits the 2.5 second mark

Just now, GeorgiaBoyz said:

Ok ..

That's all you got?  At least back up your claim...

Those are just a few...it's baffling to me if you have been a Falcons fan for the entirety of Matt's career you can actually believe he is only good with a good oline in front of him when really he has only had a good oline in front of him once or twice.

48 minutes ago, texasfalconfan said:

Here are the actual numbers from 2018:

Matt Ryan - Average Time to Throw - 2.68 sec - 608 attempts - 69.4% completions, Aggressiveness factor -  16.8 %   35 TD, 8 Int,           8.5 Average Intended Air Yards, 6.5 Average Completed Air Yards, 4924 total yards passing.

The other 2 QBs you mentioned:

Tom Brady - Average Time to Throw - 2.61 sec - 570 attempts - 65.8% completions, Aggressiveness factor -  13.9 %   29 TD, 11 Int,           7.6 Average Intended Air Yards, 5.6 Average Completed Air Yards, 4355 total yards passing.

Drew Brees - Average Time to Throw - 2.59 sec - 489 attempts - 74.4% completions, Aggressiveness factor -  15.5 %   32 TD, 5 Int,           7.1 Average Intended Air Yards, 5.9 Average Completed Air Yards, 3992 total yards passing.

The top 2 quarterbacks in the league for  Average Time To Throw:

Derek Carr - Average Time to Throw - 2.55 sec - 553 attempts - 68.9% completions, Aggressiveness factor -  13.2 %   19 TD, 10 Int,           6.7 Average Intended Air Yards, 4.9 Average Completed Air Yards, 4049 total yards passing.

Ben R - Average Time to Throw - 2.55 sec - 675 attempts - 67% completions, Aggressiveness factor - 16.7 %  34 TD, 16 Int,               7.7 Average Intended Air Yards, 4.8 Average Completed Air Yards, 5130 total yards passing.

Finally - the 2 other QB's considered by many the best - the reigning MVP and Rodgers

Patrick Mahomes - Average Time to Throw - 2.91 sec - 580 attempts - 66% completions, Aggressiveness factor -  12.2 %  50 TD, 12 Int,         9.2 Average Intended Air Yards, 6.4 Average Completed Air Yards, 5097 total yards passing.

Aaron Rodgers - Average Time to Throw - 2.95 sec - 597 attempts - 62.3% completions, Aggressiveness factor -  13.7 %   25 TD, 2 Int,           8.8 Average Intended Air Yards, 6.0 Average Completed Air Yards, 4442 total yards passing.

For clarification - 

Aggressiveness (AGG%)
Aggressiveness tracks the amount of passing attempts a quarterback makes that are into tight coverage, where there is a defender within 1 yard or less of the receiver at the time of completion or incompletion. AGG is shown as a % of attempts into tight windows over all passing attempts.

I don't think he's saying Matt is bad.  I think he's saying the only time there's a problem is when his OL is absolute garbage.  And that would be true of most QBs.

Ryan isn't the style of QB I generally like, but he's won me over with his stellar consistency playing behind lines that are seldom in the realm of the New England or New Orleans type lines.

1 minute ago, Tandy said:

Here are the actual numbers from 2018:

Matt Ryan - Average Time to Throw - 2.68 sec - 608 attempts - 69.4% completions, Aggressiveness factor -  16.8 %   35 TD, 8 Int,           8.5 Average Intended Air Yards, 6.5 Average Completed Air Yards, 4924 total yards passing.

The other 2 QBs you mentioned:

Tom Brady - Average Time to Throw - 2.61 sec - 570 attempts - 65.8% completions, Aggressiveness factor -  13.9 %   29 TD, 11 Int,           7.6 Average Intended Air Yards, 5.6 Average Completed Air Yards, 4355 total yards passing.

Drew Brees - Average Time to Throw - 2.59 sec - 489 attempts - 74.4% completions, Aggressiveness factor -  15.5 %   32 TD, 5 Int,           7.1 Average Intended Air Yards, 5.9 Average Completed Air Yards, 3992 total yards passing.

The top 2 quarterbacks in the league for  Average Time To Throw:

Derek Carr - Average Time to Throw - 2.55 sec - 553 attempts - 68.9% completions, Aggressiveness factor -  13.2 %   19 TD, 10 Int,           6.7 Average Intended Air Yards, 4.9 Average Completed Air Yards, 4049 total yards passing.

Ben R - Average Time to Throw - 2.55 sec - 675 attempts - 67% completions, Aggressiveness factor - 16.7 %  34 TD, 16 Int,               7.7 Average Intended Air Yards, 4.8 Average Completed Air Yards, 5130 total yards passing.

Finally - the 2 other QB's considered by many the best - the reigning MVP and Rodgers

Patrick Mahomes - Average Time to Throw - 2.91 sec - 580 attempts - 66% completions, Aggressiveness factor -  12.2 %  50 TD, 12 Int,         9.2 Average Intended Air Yards, 6.4 Average Completed Air Yards, 5097 total yards passing.

Aaron Rodgers - Average Time to Throw - 2.95 sec - 597 attempts - 62.3% completions, Aggressiveness factor -  13.7 %   25 TD, 2 Int,           8.8 Average Intended Air Yards, 6.0 Average Completed Air Yards, 4442 total yards passing.

For clarification - 

Aggressiveness (AGG%)
Aggressiveness tracks the amount of passing attempts a quarterback makes that are into tight coverage, where there is a defender within 1 yard or less of the receiver at the time of completion or incompletion. AGG is shown as a % of attempts into tight windows over all passing attempts.

Interesting to see Ben getting rid of the ball quickly nowadays, and to see Ryan had the highest aggressiveness factor.  Both dispelling myths.

Drew4719, wuskillzz, Tandy and 1 other like this