lju713

If Juwuan Taylor is there at 14???

43 posts in this topic

Do we take him over a DE or DT?? I like him better than Ford, let alone any T in this draft.Based on the type of OL it looks like we are trying to build for this season.

Smiler11 and Tim Mazetti like this

I'm all for going hard on defense this draft. If they took a tackle in the second and a rb later id be fine. but 1st has to be defense to me.

Road Warrior likes this

There is going to be a good player at 14 available. We will have a choice from out of a great pool of talent, and the moves we made on the OL have made us free to pursue almost any avenue we'd like. Flexibility is nice. 

1 minute ago, HEIST said:

If Oliver isn't there I'm down for whatever. I've been really enjoying the idea of Devin Bush with the assumption that we sign a guy like Shelton or Malcolm Brown in FA.

Two days ago I was focused solely on OT or DT for our #1. Now I feel like we could almost go in any direction we want. It's a nice feeling. 

I think we should just draft defense. Give Quinn what he needs to make this chicken **** defense a top 10 chicken salad or gtfo.

We didnt win the superbowl with offense the first time, we probably won't do it a second time either. Need a balanced team. 

egoprime II and Atl Falcon like this

17 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:
19 minutes ago, Hurry_Up_And_Buy said:

What if Greedy Williams is there?

We pick someone else.

deion was not impressed with greedy at the combine.

Posted (edited)

@Geneaut @Drew4719

We definitely can really start narrowing down the scenarios.

If all of say...5-7 players we would 'WANT' to take without a trade down at 14 (not even trying to trade down unless a team called us with two 1st etc)...then we start deciding what we would do the rest of the draft in pool of players in subsequent rounds and the % chances of projected players in those pools we'd want to choose from being at our other picks after round 1.

Then, it's really all about who we think is the absolute best pick.

If Grady is done by the draft; unlikely...we might pass over DT and focus more on replacing Beasley in 2020; since retaining him if he has a good year will be hard...and another mediocre year similarly hard to retain vs open market overpayments for a better system.

So...if you know you can get a DT or DE later...you weigh that vs the one you think is the better player and decide.

A twist in this could be the only ones you'd definitely want being gone and you DONT want an OL in round 1? You could trade down...or take a CB or LB at 14. At that point, a team below you might pony up to get the draft rights if you ask them to draft someone else you prefer.

Worst case is...you draft the less-ideal DL or OL; if you wanted to avoid that specific player...better to get skill position value if you think those LOS guys can be had rounds 2-4. etc.

That's why it's so nuanced and player specific; not just 'we need a guy at this position'...value and the pick itself matters more than draft location.

It's why people lost their minds taking Neal in 1st and Debo in 2nd. One seemed like a reach to many and confused. We predicted Debo would fall to our 2nd...he did.

This draft is different. Devin White and Devin Bush both are touted as 1sts for example. I could even see a team going Bush over White.

EDIT: I'm not saying we avoid first round OL. Just giving a scenario...we could like one of th OTs if they fall to 14...or even if they did still prefer to avoid OL in round 1 given the VB/GJ/other DL needs. Again...a scenario...we could go OT and D rest of the draft after round 1.

Edited by Ergo Proxy
Drew4719 and Geneaut like this

10 minutes ago, Romfal said:

I think we should just draft defense. Give Quinn what he needs to make this chicken **** defense a top 10 chicken salad or gtfo.

We didnt win the superbowl with offense the first time, we probably won't do it a second time either. Need a balanced team. 

To be fair, now our OL can run when we want. :tiphat:

But point taken nonetheless. Was having this discussion with wife while listening to Dukes & Bell in car...Dukes was claiming all out on offense or bust...we need elite offense at all costs! ...like no. Don't be blind. Be smart! Thinking 'just be the 2016 team'...yes and no. ZZZ.

Need balance to win different styles of a game; or situational football in a specific part of a game. Yes.

egoprime II, Drew4719 and Geneaut like this

3 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

I want a Vic or Grady replacement. Prefer the Vic replacement and then retain Grady. 

At this point I might take whatever Clemson DL is still on the board at 14. Wilkins, Lawrence, or Ferrell. I think all 3 are going the be productive NFL players. 

With the moves we’ve made I just don’t see it. I think we go defense in rounds 1-2, and I could see even round 3. Wait to grab your developmental o-lineman until one of our 4th picks. 

Ergo Proxy and whiteshoes like this

1 hour ago, Falcanuck said:

I want a Vic or Grady replacement. Prefer the Vic replacement and then retain Grady. 

That was my thinking as well.

If you lose Grady, you probably have to lose Vic anyway or overpay HIM instead of GJ? :shrug: So...why not draft a DE now to replace VB next year; let him rotate in some snaps year 1 and in packages instead of counting on him to be the main guy right away unless he unseats Vic year 1.

Then, we need a DT anyway next to Grady if we don't get Shelton. A 3T makes sense in round 1. A 1T nooo...Wilkins might play both well ala Grady.

Lastly, we'd still need a 5T DE that can play the 3T vs pass...even if we landed Shelton...that's why Oliver makes sense for 3T/5T and eventually learning to play the 1T or special package with whomever else inside. Doing weird fronts like the Rams used with AD; not saying EO will be AD just giving scenario of DL fronts.

Means is being asked to do that essentially now... the 5T/3T versatile DL. Shelby/Upshaw...etc gone...

I see maybe 1 vet inside signing to come and if so 2 DL draft picks at minimum...possibly 3 DL without any moves...given we have 9 picks and many spots open along the DL primarily now.

Upgrading RT depth...CB to pressure Tru eventually or challenge Oliver if need be...LB/RB/TE...all options. We got enough picks. :) 

1 hour ago, jfalconsp said:

With the moves we’ve made I just don’t see it. I think we go defense in rounds 1-2, and I could see even round 3. Wait to grab your developmental o-lineman until one of our 4th picks. 

The only catch is you may really like a prospect high enough to validate the 2nd or 3rd on an OL but I agree we could let it slide. Depends on the final roster shape by draft day and how it shakes out. If someone falls you really like vs what you'd take otherwise; even a decent D prospect?

Take the OL if you plan to use him to validate releasing someone like Fusco, etc. Frees up Brandon's cap hit next year. That's why...we need to develop them and may want to avoid risking the lower investment trap we've fallen into. 

2 hours ago, lju713 said:

Do we take him over a DE or DT?? I like him better than Ford, let alone any T in this draft.Based on the type of OL it looks like we are trying to build for this season.

If Ford is still available as well, I'd take him. though I do understand why you like JT

1 hour ago, NeonDeion said:

BPA between DT/DE/G/T

If that’s Taylor, go for it. 

No LB and definitely not CB please. Ugh I hate having to say that 

If Devin White falls and he’s the BPA, would u still pass? Personally, I wouldn’t mind taking him at all. 

duckhoa likes this