MD-FalconFan13

Mid to Late round prospects you love

81 posts in this topic

FA is under way and it's going to reshape a lot of draft boards around the league. I've been doing some scouting as this is a particularly deep draft at certain positions and a shallow draft at others. To me, the deepest positions are DT, OG, OT, TE, RB and DE. There are going to be some good prospects at these positions that last until the 4th or 5th rounds, especially DT. The most shallow positions to me are LB, CB and S. 

So I started my scouting on the D-Line as that's our biggest area of weakness. I immediately found quite a few very intriguing talents. Here are a few I like most:

- Daylon Mack (4th-5th round): I've was blown away by this guy's tape. He's freakishly athletic for a man his size. He's a pure NT in the NFL. It's really unbelievable how fast he is, especially if teams make the mistake of leaving him unblocked. He had one play as a Freshman where he literally met the QB and RB in the backfield and tackled them both before the QB could finishing handing the ball off. His explosion from the NT position is extraordinary. That said, he's not going to be a 3rd down option. But on early downs he's a disruptor and could pair well in with our existing line to prevent short yardage conversions. 

- Joe Jackson (3rd to 5th round): Quinn wants nasty and physical? This is a great pick to bring that. Consistent playmaker for the U, Jackson sets a good edge and brings some pass rush ability as well. Probably not a sack artist, but he's a complete package. Doesn't have elite quickness but would pair well in a rotation that currently lacks what he brings. Would be a great replacement for Brooks Reed with upside to be even better. 

- Khalen Saunders (4th to 5th round): Anyone that saw the Senior Bowl knows who Saunders is even if they had never heard his name before it. He flashed consistently as and looked like one of the best players there often. A combination of quick and powerful that has dominant ability at times. Saunders will shine in the right system where he's allowed to attack. Probably a 3 Tech in the NFL. Not a technique guy, Saunders is more of an organized chaos guy. Turn him loose with a goal of wreaking havoc. Will benefit from a good coaching.

- Renell Wren (3rd to 5th round): Powerful... Nasty...I saw his tape and was amazed how he excused grown men on his way to make plays. Seems to like the fight more than making the plays though. He loves engaging and winning battles, but that often comes at the expense of making the play on the football. This can be coached though in my opinion. When he makes his mind to go in a direction, that's where he's going. Whether that through a lineman or not. Could be much better if he sheds blockers and makes a more immediate path to the ball carrier. But the potential to be a terror is there. 

O-Linemen:

- Yodney Cajuste (2nd round): Not technically a "Mid to Late round" pick but, if we're serious about letting Schaeder go and want to get meaner up front, this is the perfect pick for us. Big, Nimble, Fiery blocker that has the size and mobility to be dominant at the next level. He's got a few penalties for his intensity after the play. Just a mean spirited OT that wants to end the play with the D-Lineman on their back. Nasty human being. Hustles to get in front of plays and delivers a pop when he gets there. He's my favorite 2nd round option. Might even move up to get him. He's that good. 

- Dru Samia (2nd to 4th round): Projections on where he'll go are all over. Some say he's a mid 2nd round prospect. Others say as late as 4th. I think he'll settle in at early 3rd. He's a more nasty than powerful blocker. Love the toughness he shows. A little difficult to read as he was on the best line in college football. Not a big guy, has a good anchor. Solid at everything but doesn't excel in any one area. 

- Chuma Edoga (3rd to 4th): Chuma has all the tools you could ask for in a OT and displayed them at the Senior Bowl. Just about the fastest 40 time in his OT class, Chuma excels at blocking when asked to go forward. Will reach the 2nd level quickly and block well. Struggled with anchoring in the season but looks to have worked on that from what I saw in the Senior Bowl. Walked away with top honors. If we miss on Cajuste, he's my next favorite to replace Schaeder.

LB:

- Joe Giles-Harris (2nd to 3rd round): I saw one Mock with JGH going in the bottom of the 1st. That wont happen, but wouldn't surprise me to see him go before our 2nd round pick. The guy makes plays. He profiles as a SLB in a 43 scheme to me and shows major ability to be a consistent disruptor in the run game. Not elite in coverage, but adequate. Pair him with some solid additions on the D-Line and we can kiss our issues getting gashed in the run game goodbye. Might go 2nd, but I believe he'll be on the board with our pick in the 3rd if we want him. 

- Ben Burr-Kirven (4th to 5th round ): Was encouraging to see him run a 4.5 at the combine. Had some questions about just how fast he was. When I watched his tape, he didn't look overly explosive, but one thing I noticed quickly is how many plays he makes. It seems like every time he goes for a tackle he also tries to strip the ball carrier. Combine that with 3 picks and 10 TFLs and you've got an exciting prospect. Not a big LB at just 6ft but is much quicker than expected an heady. Will do well to improve lower body strength. 

TE

- Josh Oliver (4th to 5th round): Was hoping for a better 40 time, but saw some great hands catches at the combine. This is a personal favorite of mine. Not a great blocker, but I like his potential as a pass catcher

RB

- Rodney Anderson (3rd to 4th round): A good mix of size, speed, Anderson will take some reps from Day 1 under the right system if he gets healthy. Bigger back, but not what I would consider a power back. More in the mold of Tevin Coleman, but quite as much of the game breaking speed. Going to tumble a bit due to injuries. Would do well to be in a stable of RBs to preserve his body due to the piling injury concerns. But when he's healthy he produces in the run and pass game. Well worth a mid round pick if he can get back to form. 

- Benny Snell (4th round): Fits the mold of a short yardage RB we've needed for some time. Not going to be a great pass catcher, but excels as a pass defender. Not an easy man to go through when he's got protection duties. Would fit right into our current stable of RBs as a goal line and short yardage ace. 

WR

- Jalen Hurd (4th to 5th round): Another one of my favorite prospects. I know we don't really need a WR, but this guy has so much potential I would really like to get him on the team and let him learn from our really polished WRs. He's a converted RB that is exceptional after the catch. A natural football player. Not afraid of contact and has really amazing ability if it can be unlocked. Hasn't been a WR long and route running could really use some work. However the potential is there and with our polished route runners, he could be special once he picks up the finer details. 

- Hunter Renfrow (4th to 5th round): "The man catches absolutely everything" one scout said. Looking at his tape, he does. In the mold of Danny Amendola, Renfrow is going to be a good Slot WR in the NFL if he goes to a good QB. Seems like a typical Patriots reciever. Quick out of his breaks and does a good job creating separation. Amazing hands. Seems destined to make an impact in the right system. 

So that's my list. I added in some 2nd round guys that I liked but most are mid to late rounds. Who are some of your favorite mid to late prospects?

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Sean Bunting, CB-Central Michigan  (3rd-4th rd)

Oh yeah! I liked what I saw at the combine. He's intriguing...

g-dawg likes this

1 minute ago, Francis York Morgan said:

...we would have two.

Eh, i think we could pull off three. Maybe if we threw in a 2nd or 3rd from next year lol.

9 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

Oh yeah! I liked what I saw at the combine. He's intriguing...

I believe we would have to take him with our 3rd rounder.....Cornerback is going to be priority with Alford gone.   I could see Falcons taking a corner in 2nd or 3rd round

quick mock after signings yesterday:

1st rd) Christian Wilkins, DT-Clemson

2nd rd) Jaylon Ferguson, DE-Louisiana Tech

3rd rd) Sean Bunting, CB - Central Michigan

4th rd) Lamont Gaillard, C - Georgia

4th comp) Chuma Edoga, OT - USC

finish up the last 4 picks with TE, RB, LB and Wildcard pick

I don't know about Ferguson myself but the Falcons have shown a lot of interest in him so DQ and scouts must like him.   He does hold the sack record so there is that - albeit at mostly a lower level of comp.    Not really prioritizing the OL in that above but two guys that have high upside potential - Gaillard is closer to being ready and Edoga will take time to develop.

23 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I believe we would have to take him with our 3rd rounder.....Cornerback is going to be priority with Alford gone.   I could see Falcons taking a corner in 2nd or 3rd round

I don't know about Ferguson myself but the Falcons have shown a lot of interest in him so DQ and scouts must like him.   He does hold the sack record so there is that - albeit at mostly a lower level of comp.    Not really prioritizing the OL in that above but two guys that have high upside potential - Gaillard is closer to being ready and Edoga will take time to develop.

I'd be ecstatic. I'm really staring to warm in the idea of Wilkins, even over Oliver potentially. Ferguson is a great addition and DE is probably going to be a focus area. Bunting has great measurables and I love his potential. Gaillard and Edoga are going to be steals. 

Would be a really solid draft

50 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I like everything other than Ferguson. I’d prefer us to stay away from him, at least until the 4th round. But I’d assume a dumb team that thinks he’s better than he really is will take him within the top 3 rounds and possibly even top 2. 

Jazz Ferguson - WR (he will be a better pro than his brother)

Wes Hills - RB

Trevon Wesco - FB/TE

35 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

I like everything other than Ferguson. I’d prefer us to stay away from him, at least until the 4th round. But I’d assume a dumb team that thinks he’s better than he really is will take him within the top 3 rounds and possibly even top 2. 

yeah, I'm not sold on Ferguson yet either.   I would probably take Center Eric McCoy right there or Offensive Tackle Tytus Howard.   

AutumnEffect, DMT11 and Tim Mazetti like this

Long list of guys I would love to see us take a look at in Rounds 3-7:

WR Anthony Johnson, Buffalo
WR David Sills, West Virginia
WR Penny Hart, Georgia State
WR DeMarkus Lodge, Ole Miss
WR Greg Dortch, Wake Forest
WR Terry Godwin, Georgia

TE Tommy Sweeney, Boston College
TE Foster Moreau, LSU
TE Andrew Beck, Texas

RB Miles Sanders, Penn State
RB Justice Hill, Oklahoma State
RB Devine Ozigbo, Nebraska

OT Tytus Howard, Alabama State
OT Bobby Evans, Oklahoma
OT Dennis Daley, South Carolina
OT Eli Udoh, Elon

OG Nate Davis, Charlotte
OG Connor McGovern, Penn State
OG Ben Powers, Oklahoma
OG Dru Samia, Oklahoma
OG Terrone Prescod, N.C. State

DE Chase Winovich, Michigan
DE Jalen Jelks, Oregon
DE Anthony Nelson, Iowa
DE Ben Banogu, TCU
DE Christian Miller, Alabama

DT Khalen Saunders, Western Illinois
DT Renell Wren, Arizona State
DT Dontavius Russell, Auburn
DT Trysten Hill, UCF
DT Daylon Mack, Texas A&M
DT Ricky Walker, Virginia Tech

LB Terrill Hanks, New Mexico State
LB David Long, West Virginia
LB Deshaun Davis, Auburn

CB Jamel Dean, Auburn
CB Hamp Cheevers, Boston College
CB Mark Fields, Clemson
CB Jimmy Moreland, JMU
CB Corey Ballentine, Washburn
CB Clifton Duck, Appalachian State
CB Sean Bunting, Central Michigan

S Sheldrick Redwine, Miami
S Mike Edwards, Kentucky
S Andrew Wingard, Wyoming

2 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Sean Bunting, CB-Central Michigan  (3rd-4th rd)

His pro day is tomorrow. I wanna see if we are there. Also wanna see his 3 cone. Didn't do it at combine.

Posted (edited)

I'm liking Trevon Wesco as a TE/FB/H-Back hybrid.   Super athletic 270-lb mauler.

Edited by Monolith2001

blob:https%3A//www.youtube.com/a4160859-af0a-4c53-96ec-5d501032b98a

fs rob rolle   

projected 7th - udfa

despite what some scouting reports, he looks to be a good tackler and takes good routes to the ball. Has the ball hawking nose for the football. He also returned kicks and punts before and acl. good chaeacter and motor. solid grab even if you have to use a 7th to get him.

RB - Myles Sanders PSU...all around back, shined in his feature after Barkley left. Low mileage, was a top national recruit, 4 or 5 star athlete. Many think he will be a better pro than college RB.

7 hours ago, g-dawg said:

I kike the thought process. Gotta have a Center, DE and CB.. I think C prior to fourth round. This center class looks ripe for the Falcons.

g-dawg likes this

1 hour ago, Tim Mazetti said:

I kike the thought process. Gotta have a Center, DE and CB.. I think C prior to fourth round. This center class looks ripe for the Falcons.

Yes it does and Center class is unusually deep - better get one now so we don’t have to draft one in 1st round in  next year. 

Tim Mazetti likes this