Champford

Jamon Brown

83 posts in this topic

Ok, not familiar with him but he is Young at 25 and a hoss at 6'4 340 lbs so on the surface this sound good

2 minutes ago, TheHeartless said:

Don't know anything about this guy besides the Giants being known for having a horrendous o line

25 years old

3rd round pick by the Rams in 2015

Been on IR twice. 

Started 8 games for the Giants with 2 holding and 3 false starts

Former 3rd rd pick of the Rams.  Played for the Giants.  PFF doesn't think kindly of him but Giants fans and insiders seem to like him.  Here's his draft profile.

OVERVIEW

2014: Second-team All-ACC. Started all 13 games at LT. 2013: First-team All-AAC. Started all 13 games at LT. 2012: Started all 13 games at RT. 2011: Played in nine games with one start.

PRO DAY RESULTS

40-yard dash: 5.09 seconds 
Vertical jump: 28 inches 
Broad jump: 8 feet, 7 inches 
Short shuttle: 4.7 seconds 
3-cone drill: 7.36 seconds

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Thick, wide frame. "Run-around" defenders have a long way to go to get around him. Adequate power in lower half to get initial push. Quicker than expected out of stance and with initial steps. Can beat defender to the spot as position blocker. Play speed will be a plus inside. Straight-line mover in space with potential to be effective blocker on inside zone plays from guard spot. Has experience at both tackle spots and at guard. Uses club move to initiate movement.

WEAKNESSES

Doesn't consistently unlock power. Has length but doesn't use it. Slow to process stunts. Struggles when defender gets to his edge. Overextends and loses assignment in pass sets. Lowers head like battering ram at punch point. Below-average recovery and redirect talent when beaten. Scouts believe conditioning is a legitimate concern for him late in games. Puts skates on when headed to second level. Must play with more body control.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 4 or 5

SOURCES TELL US

"He could go much higher than anyone thinks because he'll be on boards as a tackle or as a guard. He can move and he has some power so he will hit more teams draft boards than some of the other guys in the draft." - NFC Executive

NFL COMPARISON

Dallas Thomas

BOTTOM LINE

Intriguing tackle/guard prospect. His mass and athletic limitations are best-suited inside and his quickness off the snap could be an indicator that Brown's best football could be ahead of him. With a wider base and better body control, Brown could become a starting guard or potential tackle in power scheme.

2 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

This. Giants have had an awful line for years. Smh

He only played for the giants last year... I just remember he was a BIG solid guard for the rams.

We got somebody young and big.... I figured we would get bigger on both lines.... We have speed, adding some size is very good

Posted (edited)

Yes, he was with the Rams to start the season last year but was hurt and replaced in the lineup by Austin Blythe.

Paved running lanes for Gurley in 17-18.

Edited by Cole World

5 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

Well Alex Mack was on the Browns for a long time and they sucked.

I'm just glad we got a young guy that has some weight to him on the OL. 

Im sick of looking in the bargain bin for guards like we do every year. 

6 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

Well Alex Mack was on the Browns for a long time and they sucked.

I'm just glad we got a young guy that has some weight to him on the OL. 

Alex Mack was top C on a bad team. He was premier FA OL in 2016.

NashvilleFalcon01 likes this

4 minutes ago, athell said:

Former 3rd rd pick of the Rams.  Played for the Giants.  PFF doesn't think kindly of him but Giants fans and insiders seem to like him. 

As soon as they signed him the Giants started playing better (at least in the games OBJ played) .

athell likes this

Just now, Cole World said:

As soon as they signed him the Giants started playing better (at least in the games OBJ played) .

Yeah.  Reading a few articles about how he led the resurgence of the oline and run game.

Cole World likes this

10 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

Ok, not familiar with him but he is Young at 25 and a hoss at 6'4 340 lbs so on the surface this sound good

Better be an athletic 340 pounder to thrive on outside zone...

All-22: Former offensive lineman Geoff Schwartz breaks down Jamon Brown’s Giants debut

GettyImages-1067352002-1024x703.jpg
By Dan Duggan Nov 15, 2018 comment-icon.png10 save-icon.png

This week’s film review is right in Geoff Schwartz’s wheelhouse. Schwartz, who played offensive line in the NFL for eight years, examined the Giants debut of right guard Jamon Brown.

The Giants claimed Brown on Oct. 31 after he was waived by the Rams. The 25-year-old former third-round pick immediately stepped into the starting lineup for Monday’s 27-23 win over the 49ers.

Brown, who is set to become a free agent after the season, got a positive overall review from Schwartz.

“It’s the best start they’ve had at right guard this year,” Schwartz said. “He played well in Los Angeles last year. This is a big addition for the Giants. This is a guy that really can be the right guard of the future for them. This is an eight-game audition for him.”

Here’s a closer look at the good and and the bad from Brown’s debut:

PASS BLOCKING

• Third-and-5 at NY 49, 5:39 1Q: At first glance, it looked like Brown (78) and right tackle Chad Wheeler (63) failed to pick up a defensive line twist on this third-down pressure that nearly resulted in an interception. But Schwartz believes that defensive end Cassius Marsh (54) instinctively looped into the opening created by defensive tackle DeForest Buckner’s (99) rush, which had been neutralized by Brown.

Marsh hit Manning just as he released a pass that appeared to be tipped by defensive tackle Sheldon Day before deflecting off of running back Saquon Barkley’s hand and into the arms of center Spencer Pulley to narrowly avoid an interception.

“I’m not really sure this is anyone’s fault, per se,” Schwartz said. “It’s not really a twist. It’s more of an outside rush from 99 and 54 is kind of reading it and going inside. Typically, if it’s a twist, 99 would try to contact the tackle and he really doesn’t. If you look at him, he’s kind of doing his own thing over there. This is one of those things that just kind of happens. It could be a situation, too, of Wheeler and Brown not having worked much together and not being coordinated with their pass sets. They both take a little bit of a flatter set on third down, which is typically not what you want to do, but I don’t really think anyone is wrong here. If I was the right guard, I would set like this on 99, too, because it’s a big ol’ boy. Why would you set back? I don’t think it’s a case of someone egregiously getting beat. I just think 54 did a good job of seeing what was happening.”

• Third-and-8 at SF 10, 2:48 1Q: This time the 49ers did run a defensive line stunt, and Brown and Wheeler did a great job of picking it up. Day (96) lined up across from Brown and rushed toward Wheeler to free Marsh (54) to loop inside. Brown recognized the stunt and passed off Day to Wheeler as Marsh started his loop inside. Brown met Marsh directly in front of quarterback Eli Manning and drove the 49er out of the pocket. That gave Manning time to find wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. open for a 10-yard touchdown.

“Notice the rush by the guy over Brown. You see how he goes to contact the tackle? That’s a game and the other time, he didn’t, he just kind of straight rushed,” Schwartz said. “That was a good job of switching this off. Wheeler does a good job of taking a good pass set. He sets more vertical, which I would do, too. That allows Brown to set and punch over 96 and then Brown comes off. When you come off on a twist, you have a little bit of time on the looper. The looper is the second guy. So you want to secure the down guy – you secure 96 – and there’s a little bit of time to block the looper. You see Brown and he looks like he’s late, but he’s really not. And coupled with Eli Manning doing a good job in the pocket, they’re able to complete this pass.”

Manning looked resigned to taking a sack for a split-second as Marsh closed in. But the quarterback kept his feet moving as Brown cleared out Marsh. Manning was then able to reset and find Beckham.

“This is the type of play I’ve been waiting for Eli to make all year,” Schwartz said. “He stands in the pocket, there’s a little bit of heat around him and he steps up and avoids the pressure. This is what Eli can do as he becomes more confident with his offensive line, and maybe Brown is the key. The 49ers aren’t really well renowned for their pass rush, but the more confident Eli gets in this unit, the more you’ll see him make plays like this.”

• Third-and-10 at SF 20, 3:20 2Q: This play showed Brown’s strength as a pass blocker. There was nothing fancy about it. Brown simply used sound technique and impressive strength to stonewall Buckner.

“Brown’s just strong,” Schwartz said. “This is really good. He misses with his hands, but he does a real good job of resetting them and just being big. It’s nice when you’re big. He’s got a really good base. There’s an offensive line term when you pass block that you give them ‘just the tip.’ So he rolls his hip just a little bit, so it’s just the tip. People think pass protection is always with your hands and it is, but a lot of it is your back. A lot of it is that base. When you’re engaged with your defender, if you roll your hips a little bit and just give them the tip, you get your whole core into it and that’s a really good job by him.”

• Third-and-7 at NY 26, 9:44 4Q: Coach Pat Shurmur said on Wednesday that the lone sack in the game “didn’t relate to the quarterback or protection.” That leaves the receivers to blame. The 49ers showed and brought pressure from the left side, which Manning identified before the snap. Based on Shurmur’s comment, recently acquired receiver Corey Coleman appeared to fail to adjust his route based on the pre-snap show of pressure. Manning locked onto Coleman, who was the only receiver on the left side. Coleman ran a deep route that was still developing when Manning was dropped by Buckner (99) and linebacker Dekoda Watson (97).

It seems overly generous to completely absolve Brown of any blame for this sack since Buckner beat him clean off the line and was in Manning’s face before the QB had time to go through any progressions. But Schwartz also mostly excused Brown for the sack.

“The thing about these rushes for the right guard is you really don’t expect Buckner to do that. You see the pressure is all coming from the left and you expect Buckner to cross your face,” Schwartz said. “It obviously doesn’t help when you don’t expect him to hand swipe back inside. Brown is going to set down on him and he goes to punch him, probably thinking in his mind that he’s going to keep going outside away from the pressure. But instead, (Buckner) swipes his inside arm down and he goes inside on him.”

“Without having watched 49ers film previous to this, it’s hard to tell if this is something they’ve done before. But just from a normal, practical sense, 99 would typically cross the guard’s face and rush him in the B gap. Instead, he rushes in the A gap and Brown, in my opinion, just wasn’t ready for that. It’s not like a big mental breakdown. It happens. I’ve had it happen to me before, where you just assume that something is going to happen and it doesn’t.”

• First-and-10 at SF 41, 1:55 4Q: Brown’s lone penalty could have been costly. The Giants faked a screen to Barkley on the right before Manning wheeled and hit Beckham on a wide-receiver screen on the left. But as the fake screen was being set up to the right, Brown grabbed defensive tackle Ronald Blair, who had darted inside toward Manning.

“This call was suspect,” Schwartz said. “I don’t like this. The ball is gone. It shouldn’t be called. Brown is trying to slingshot him, basically. He did hold him a little bit, but the ball is gone. The center should be there and Brown went a little bit too far, so both guys aren’t the best on this. The deal is you’d rather get a holding call than get your quarterback killed, but I think because it was a screen, the ball was probably gone faster. I don’t think Eli even gets hit if he doesn’t hold him here. They’re not supposed to call this away from the play, really. But I think the refs thought maybe he could hit Eli.”

RUN BLOCKING

• First-and-10 at SF 44, 7:44 2Q: The pure power of the 6-foot-4, 340-pound Brown was on display on this run. He briefly gave help to Wheeler on Buckner before quickly moving to his left to pick up linebacker Fred Warner (48). Brown buried Warner to open a hole for Barkley, who picked up seven yards.

“You have to secure the down guy, which he does, and come off on the linebacker,” Schwartz said. “You want to trap this guy, which he does. He traps him and he clears out the hole for Barkley to run.”

Schwartz’s bigger takeaway from the play was that Barkley could have had a bigger gain if he trusted the play design instead of first searching for a bigger play outside. That was one of the few criticisms of Barkley coming out of Penn State and Schwartz has noted it repeatedly this season.

“A split second after Brown makes contact, Barkley is starting to cut back to the right and you notice that he tries to cut back a little too much,” Schwartz said. “He’s trying to go outside again like usual, but he realizes (cornerback Richard) Sherman (25) is there and cuts back inside. But you can see the hole is between Wheeler and Brown. Instead, he runs into Wheeler’s guy, who is being blocked. That’s who makes the tackle. It’s little stuff like this. I’m not saying Barkley is a bad running back, but this could have been a touchdown and little things like this help in the entire scheme of the offense. The offensive line did a great job with this and it would probably have been better if he had run to the hole. By no means am I knocking Barkley, but this is an example of where his vision is still improving.”

Screen-Shot-2018-11-15-at-12.21.49-AM-10

• Second-and-3 at SF 44, 7:04 2Q: The Giants changed their personnel and formation, but ran the same play on the next snap. This time, Barkley was stuffed for a 1-yard loss because Brown spent too much time helping Wheeler and wasn’t able to trap Warner, who shot into the backfield. Barkley avoided Warner, but the penetration doomed the play. Barkley couldn’t get outside of cornerback Richard Sherman, who made a solid tackle on the perimeter.

“Brown just comes off this late,” Schwartz said. “The linebacker does a good job here of really shooting that gap. He comes off just too late. It’s very simple. He just comes off too late.”

• Third-and-goal at SF 3, 2:00 2Q: This would have been looked at as one of the biggest missed opportunities of the game if the Giants had lost. They had to settle for a field goal after this Barkley run was stuffed for a 1-yard gain. The play was blown up by Warner (48), who was completely unblocked in the hole that the play was designed for. While no one picked up Warner, Brown and center Spencer Pulley double-teamed defensive tackle Arik Armstead. Schwartz said Pulley was in the wrong.

“The center ID’d the wrong guy, it looks like,” Schwartz said. “The center is working back. He’s got to work front side on this. This is a poor identification by the center. The center should be blocking 48. Instead, he IDs 51, which is further away from the play. This is just a mental error by the center. They probably score a touchdown if this is blocked correctly.”

A case can be made that Manning should have scrapped the running play in favor of a quick pass to Beckham, who was uncovered in the slot. But Schwartz doesn’t think it was a mistake by Manning to stick with the run play.

“From Eli’s vantage point, Odell is not that uncovered,” Schwartz said. “What if the linebacker on the snap of the ball breaks right over to where Odell is? Does he intercept that ball before it gets to Odell or not?”

Odell-1024x690.png

(Top photo by Michael Zagaris/San Francisco 49ers/Getty Images)

I don't have anything specific to say about him but with Sambrailo's new contract and Schraeder and Fusco still on the roster, it sure seems the team does not have many spots for the early round blocker we all want. 

Ergo Proxy likes this