Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carter

Bribery scandal rocks elite universities

17 posts in this topic

This just hit the news today. Major scandal with wealthy individuals paying a “college counseling service” to ensure admission for their children to schools like Yale, Stanford, Georgetown, USC, etc. through bribes. Arrests are being made and charges filed.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/hollywood-actors-ceos-charged-nationwide-college-admissions-cheating/story?id=61627873

1 hour ago, SacFalcFan said:

stanford's degree means crap.. not worth anything.. cheaters.. ;)  

Dont tell me that man. One of daughter's dream schools along with Yale and Harvard 

Porter Osborne Jr likes this

42 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Dont tell me that man. One of daughter's dream schools along with Yale and Harvard 

For what it's worth, I think the business community is always going to have Stanford at top-shelf level, this investigation withstanding.

youngbloodz likes this

39 minutes ago, AutumnEffect said:

For what it's worth, I think the business community is always going to have Stanford at top-shelf level, this investigation withstanding.

Hope so man. Really hope so

6 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

nah i was just joking.. this won't affect any of the schools..  

A UT-Austin tennis coach has been named on federal conspiracy to commit fraud charges. He is accused of taking $100,000 in 2015 to designate a high school student as a recruit in order to gain favor with admissions. He says he will plead not guilty.

https://www.hookem.com/story/texas-tennis-coach-michael-center-among-coaches-indicted-sweeping-college-admissions-scheme/

5 hours ago, Carter said:

Florida based football factory, IMG Academy, has been caught up in this as well.

Mark Riddell, the director of college entrance exam preparation at IMG, has been charged in the sweeping operation. IMG has sent football players to many prominent schools throughout the country.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/real-estate-news/article227455609.html

Now that I'm not surprised by. 

fibonaccisquared likes this

20 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

FWIW, I would recommend against overspending on undergraduate. By all means, target one of those programs for a graduate degree, but so long as the undergrad comes from a respectable institution, she does well on her standardized tests and pulls a quality GPA, she'd get a lot more value out of those programs at the graduate level.

11 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

FWIW, I would recommend against overspending on undergraduate. By all means, target one of those programs for a graduate degree, but so long as the undergrad comes from a respectable institution, she does well on her standardized tests and pulls a quality GPA, she'd get a lot more value out of those programs at the graduate level.

Thanks for the info

45 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Thanks for the info

Can discuss more depending on degree program(s) of interest, but unless going into something like investment banking or management consulting, very few jobs out there where elite undergrad means a whole lot these days. And you can get free tuition at places like Alabama with nothing more than a decent SAT/ACT and a 3.5 GPA in HS. Example: https://scholarships.ua.edu/types/out-of-state.php

Out-of-State Merit Scholarships for 2019-2020

First time freshmen who meet the December 15 scholarship deadline, have a qualifying score on the ACT or SAT and have at least a 3.5 cumulative high school GPA through the junior year will be eligible for the following merit-based scholarships:

Capstone

A student with a 27 ACT or 1260-1290 SAT score and a minimum 3.5 cumulative GPA will be selected as a Capstone Scholar and will receive $24,000 over four years ($6,000 per year).

Collegiate

A student with a 28 ACT or 1300-1320 SAT score and a minimum GPA of 3.5 will be named a Collegiate Scholar and will receive $32,000 over four years ($8,000 per year).

Foundation in Excellence

A student with a 29 ACT or 1330-1350 SAT score and at least a 3.5 GPA will be named a Foundation in Excellence Scholar and will receive $60,000 over four years ($15,000 per year).

UA Scholar

A student with a 30-31 ACT or 1360-1410 SAT score and at least a 3.5 GPA, he or she will be named a UA Scholar and will receive $80,000 over four years ($20,000 per year).

Presidential

A student with a 32-36 ACT or 1420-1600 SAT score and at least a 3.5 GPA will be selected as a Presidential Scholar and will receive $104,000 over four years ($26,000 per year). Students graduating with remaining scholarship semester(s) may use these monies toward graduate school and/or law school study at UA.

Presidential Elite

A student with a 4.0 GPA and a 36 ACT or 1600 SAT will be selected as a Presidential Elite Scholar and will receive:

• Value of tuition for up to four years for degree-seeking undergraduate and graduate or law studies
  • One year of on-campus housing at regular room rate
  • $1,000 per year stipend for four years
  • $2,000 one-time allowance for use in summer research or international study (after completing one year of study at UA)
  • $2,000 book scholarship ($500 per year for four years)

youngbloodz likes this

I just used Alabama as an example, as I've got a friend whose kid is going there for free now on the Presidential. A lot of the bigger state schools have programs like this now to try and compete with Ivy leagues and the like for top academic talent.

youngbloodz likes this

Nothing will come of this I'm fairly certain we know this type of stuff being happening for years, but even if it's public knowledge(now) nothing changes slap on the wrist for the elites of the country/world.