Lowndesfalc

Falcons create 7 mil in cap.

165 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

can the same be done with Trufant and Matthews?

It can be done with any player that you know you plan to hang on to for a long time.  That's why cap room is really a mythical number.  The bad cap situations are when these avenues have been exhausted and there's no wiggle room...

1 minute ago, caponine said:

why would justin come here when Quinn and FO already said our guys were priorities this offseason ?? justin aint coming here. Let it go people

DQ is gonna be out the door if he doesn’t upgrade this team...

So far Alford, Bryant, Coleman, Reed, Shelby, Irvin, Levitre have left this team...

We have two DBs returning from season ending injuries, both of which due to lower leg injuries and had average speed pre injury and a RB that we have no idea what he will be like bc he’s had injuries and concussions every year....

Please enlighten me as to how this roster has improved? Signing the guys that couldn’t reach the playoffs to major extensions while not improving the roster outside of the draft is a major problem and will doom this coaching staff.

I fully expect this cap move to be used for a FA...

Just use your brain and think of the timing...we can extend any of our players at anytime until August, which means if this move was to do that, it could wait...

This move is purely to sign a player that we didn’t have cap space for inFA...plain and simple...

It may not be Houston, but it’s for FA flexibility, not extensions...

And if it is for extensions, than both TD and DQ should be fired

Look at the writing in the wall...

Pioli drafted Houston, TD had a live fest for him....

Malik Jackson was signed in 5 minutes off the street after being cut...Houston the superior player, yet there has been dead silence on his situation. Someone’s holding those cards close to the vest...

Yes, my hope is Falcons get a GA boy from Statesboro...

This also gives them leverage with Vic...they still have time to rescind his offer...they are doing this to let teams commit money to players and have the market set up, then try to get him to ink a short term extension, or hit FA after rescinsionwirh little cap money left for teams...

2 minutes ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

Yes, my hope is Falcons get a GA boy from Statesboro.

As it happens, I was born in Statesboro.  Not sure I am in football shape, but I probably can be had cheaper than Houston.  Have TD give my agent a buzz :).

1 minute ago, Smiler11 said:

It's just kicking the can down the road.

It is, but hopefully we utilize our draft capital well and keep guys on rookie deals and learn to just revolve that door at certain positions....

We should never invest money at RB or TE moving forward and WR to some extent. Those guys are dime a dozen with the exceptions of Julio type player...the offensive systems in college churn out those guys now...

Invest in QB, OL, front 7...and fill in where can withqualify DBs

robertap likes this

18 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

With Trufant I would think the goal would be to get him completely off the books ASAP and not be carrying excessive dead money once he is gone. 

zekeyboy1 likes this

2 minutes ago, Peyton said:

As it happens, I was born in Statesboro.  Not sure I am in football shape, but I probably can be had cheaper than Houston.  Have TD give my agent a buzz :).

I’m a Southern GATA boy myself...

You know what I’m saying...

3 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

It's just kicking the can down the road.

I think this move signals a realization by the Falcon that Grady Jarrett is not going to be a Falcon in 2020.  I couldn't see the Falcon pushing money out if they thought they were going to have to add three big extensions on to the current situation.

4 minutes ago, Peyton said:

I think this move signals a realization by the Falcon that Grady Jarrett is not going to be a Falcon in 2020.  I couldn't see the Falcon pushing money out if they thought they were going to have to add three big extensions on to the current situation.

I think it's more that they know they'll get the room back when Mack calls it quits than that, it's only going to be an extra $2 million and cap increases will easily take care of that...

Tim Mazetti likes this

6 minutes ago, Peyton said:

Grady or VB44....and Neal in 2021

Posted (edited)

Glad they are trying.  These contracts are are killing this franchise.  I get going rates and all, but this is why we can't compete.  We have glaring holes and we can't fill them.  A sacrifice is going to have to be made somewhere.

Edited by isproab

Just now, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

Grady or VB44....and Neal in 2021

I wasn't even considering VB, he is gone after this year. I think Grady is too. I do think Keanu and Jones will be retained though.

shock likes this

31 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Yes, but whatever is converted gets prorated over the remaining years. It also makes the dead cap for that player if cut, increase by the same amount.

4 minutes ago, capologist said:

I think it's more that they know they'll get the room back when Mack calls it quits than that, it's only going to be an extra $2 million and cap increases will easily take care of that...

Matt Ryan's cap hit alone was going to increase by $9 next year.  Now his cap hit will increase like $20 million. What's going to easily take care of a $20 million cap increase for one player?

Flying Falcon likes this