Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Falcons In 2012

2019 Could Be Special

66 posts in this topic

There is so much angst on the forum at the moment.  Yes, I’m often part of it, but when I step back and take a macro view of the team, it could be a special year for the Falcons.   Let’s start with the obvious.  Coaching matters and we have made significant upgrades at all three phases.  SIGNIFICANT UPGRADES.

Next...missing Grady & Debo clearly hurt, but so did losing Rico and Neal.  How important are they to our backend?  

•  

sr6EW0RM_bigger.jpg

#Falcons top 5 run defense grades (since '06):

2017 Keanu Neal - 89.3
2007 Lawyer Milloy - 88.1
2012 Dunta Robinson - 88.1
2017 Grady Jarrett - 87.7
2011 Sean Weatherspoon - 87.4
1:28 PM · Jun 4, 2018 · Twitter Web Client

Now let’s examine how Rico’s absence affected us vs the pass

Ricardo Allen, S, 81.4 overall grade

Playing over 2,400 defensive snaps in the two-year span, Allen earned 81.7 and 81.4 overall grades, respectively, as the Falcons’ primary free safety alongside Keanu Neal. While small in stature (5-foot-9, 185 pounds), Allen excelled in coverage, leading all qualifying NFL safeties in coverage snaps played per reception allowed (71.0), yards allowed per coverage snap (0.18) and coverage snaps played per target (39.4).

With a solid draft class and signing Spain at OG, we will once again have a roster and coaching worthy of making a SB run

Remember, the 23 games before our injuries started last year, our defense allowed just 21 ppg.

LOL , im sorry but nothing has suggested that. Lol OL is still awful and defense aint sh*t rn. There was to much expected of them. This is still a good team not great. You can have all that talent in the world and still lose like we have

GeorgiaBoyz likes this

1 hour ago, caponine said:

LOL , im sorry but nothing has suggested that. Lol OL is still awful and defense aint sh*t rn. There was to much expected of them. This is still a good team not great. You can have all that talent in the world and still lose like we have

We will agree to disagree.  Our defense is fine when healthy.  20 ppg in 2017 and we were healthy exactly one game last year and held the Eagles  to 230 total yards. 

Drew4719, Vandy and Ergo Proxy like this

Well, my mother once said the same thing about me, and I think we all know how that **** turned out :lol:

I hope you're right, but how this draft goes is going to tip the scales hard one way or the other.

Falcons In 2012 and PokerSteve like this

29 minutes ago, caponine said:

Thread is posted with decent information suggesting the defense/team can be good.

"LOL , im sorry but nothing has suggested that."

Vandy, jas82487, Ergo Proxy and 4 others like this

24 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Thread is posted with decent information suggesting the defense/team can be good.

"LOL , im sorry but nothing has suggested that."

gotta see how both keanu and allen fare with their respective injuries. Once you get an acl tear the joints strengthen (thry say) but there’s much more pressure on it thsn before and im sure u dont need me to tell you about achilles injurues. Coaching hasnt changed much, they’ve hired other coaches but ultimately its on Quinn. No excuses for the defense, everybody was bragging and boasting about how good the defense was and the depth, and dont tell me there wasnt. 

40 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

We will agree to disagree.  Our defense is fine when healthy.  20 ppg last year and we were healthy exactly one game last year and held the Eagles  to 230 total yards. 

ehhh , injuries are apart of the game as u know. The injuries excuse doesn’t really cut it anymore tbh. They were still playing good defense for about a quarter and a half to 2 quarters gor most games. Thats on coaching to me

We will need dramatically better OL play.  Our whole team is predicated on Matt scanning the field and making the correct reads.  On top of the OL issues, having a new OC makes me think next year won't be special.  But we did have some bad injury luck this past season, so  if that can change around we can at least be more in the hunt. 

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

Well...injuries are part of the game, as the cliché goes...but injuries are not all the same. Last year's injuries were devastating.

I don't like using the injury excuse, but the injuries last year were to two pro bowlers (a top-3 safety and the best middle linebacker in the NFL),  and another very good safety...and all came in a two week period.    The '85 Bears would've had big trouble if that had stricken them similarly.

We also lost Grady for a couple games and it took him a couple more to get back to speed.

Every year is a different beast. No telling how our injured safeties will look coming off very significant injuries. I think Keanu will be fine but I have my doubts over Allen. Our o-line was not great but people are overreacting like crazy about how bad they are. We were riddled by injuries in the o-line last year and still finished somewhere around (lower) middle of the pack overall. Mathews and Mack are among the top in their position and if we can find at least one quality guard in the draft or Free Agency we should be in decent shape on that front.

D-line I think is the biggest question mark right now with the Jarret and Vic Beasley situations still up in the air. Even if we keep both we still need to add a DE or DT, and honestly probably both... Regardless though I agree with you...  even if we trottet out last years team with no improvements on the roster, healthy, with our current coaching staff we are an 11 win team that can beat anyone in the playoffs imo. The NFC isn't a strong conference right now. 

Falcons In 2012 and Ergo Proxy like this

Doubt it, I bet we go into next year with even more holes ont he OL and DL and we assume we will all be healthy but that is a bad assumption

6 minutes ago, Malachore said:

I remember hearing this all of the 2016 and then 2017 offseason. 

I'll  believe it when it happens......maybe.

This ^^

7979 likes this

2 hours ago, caponine said:

Oh my, OL was Top 5 in 2016 and Top 10 in 2017. Jake Matthews is just now coming into his prime, and Alex Mack is still an upper tier interior lineman.  A decent free agent RT and/or OG plus another in draft and we will return to upper echelon OL. 

1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

We will agree to disagree.  Our defense is fine when healthy.  20 ppg in 2017 and we were healthy exactly one game last year and held the Eagles  to 230 total yards. 

Plus we played a passive approach D in 2017, which I firmly believe is going to change to more of an attack approach under Quinn. We could be a Top 5 defense with a couple new additions and staying healthy.

26 minutes ago, Malachore said:

I remember hearing this all of the 2016 and then 2017 offseason. 

I'll  believe it when it happens......maybe.

Let’s clarify special.  Is only a SB title special?  I thought 2017 was a good year.  We were the Eagles toughest out in the playoffs

Kaptain Krazy likes this

Optimistic post are always welcome on TATF . I’m a realist . A special season for the Falcons is an epic fail . Until proven otherwise . 

caponine likes this

13 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Oh my, OL was Top 5 in 2016 and Top 10 in 2017. Jake Matthews is just now coming into his prime, and Alex Mack is still an upper tier interior lineman.  A decent free agent RT and/or OG plus another in draft and we will return to upper echelon OL. 

Plus we played a passive approach D in 2017, which I firmly believe is going to change to more of an attack approach under Quinn. We could be a Top 5 defense with a couple new additions and staying healthy.

People just being prisoners of the moment and not looking at the big picture.  We are adding 2 pro bowlers and our defensive leader back to the mix.  That’s our offseason

7 months ago most publications said we had a top 3 roster in the NFL

Drew4719 and Vandy like this

2 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Let’s clarify special.  Is only a SB title special?  I thought 2027 was a good year.  We were the Eagles toughest out in the playoffs

Yo, what are the winning lotto numbers in 2026?

Drew4719, caponine, Vandy and 4 others like this

8 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

People just being prisoners of the moment and not looking at the big picture.  We are adding 2 pro bowlers and our defensive leader back to the mix.  That’s our offseason

7 months ago most publications said we had a top 3 roster on the NFL

They still do.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/lombardiave.com/2019/02/19/packers-roster-sixth-nfl-espn/amp/

The mockers and scoffers will always be around, my friend. Great thread discussion, in that it clearly puts lines in the sand on where most folks are in their beliefs about team.

Falcons In 2012 likes this