halifaxfalcon

Retaining Beasley a smoke screen?

70 posts in this topic

Vic has been the main topic the last few weeks... and of course after the news that we intend to keep him on the $12.8mil 5th year option this board has gone into meltdown mode.

Given the Cap situation, could this just be a smokescreen from the front office? This time of year teams play their cards very close to their chests... Could we be waiting to see how the FA market sets itself before making a move and deciding upon his future?

The likelihood is I am miles off the mark... but even on a 5th year option Vic still retains some trade value albeit a late round selection for a team hungry for a situational pass rusher. Or quite simply we can cut ties with him when FA hits. There are several pass rushers hitting FA who could be acquired at a cheaper rate whilst also offering similar production. I will be flamed for this suggestion... but Dante Fowler Jr looks set to hit the market (and although having past injury concerns) is a player who has worked with Dan Quinn and offers similar pass rushing ability at a likely much cheaper price. Fowler remains only 24 years old and was a player we coveted the same year we drafted Beasley but was selected at #3 by Jacksonville.

It would be stupid of the FO to cut ties with Beasley before knowing what will become available in FA. Why create an additional hole without having a strategy or a plan to fill it. I believe this is the main reason why Schraeder still remains on the books as they decide what options we have as a replacment swing tackle.

I suspect I am completely wrong, but the FO WILL have to make a move at some point as we head to FA, lets see what they do.

I think when DQ said they planned to keep him was when they thought they would get a deal done with Grady. Now that he’s been tagged I don’t see how they can keep Vic. If they do, let’s hope he has a monster season in his last hurrah with us.

DD: Objective Elite likes this

Just now, Drew4719 said:

I think when DQ said they planned to keep him was when they thought they would get a deal done with Grady. Now that he’s been tagged I don’t see how they can keep Vic. If they do, let’s hope he has a monster season in his last hurrah with us.

It's not like the defense has blown up with the two of them the last three years. It wouldn't be a bad thing to let one go, probably Beasley because he isn't the same guy he was in 2016, or maybe he is and just isn't getting the success. What the team needs is a cheaper replacement. Can they find someone to get the same results (5+ sacks) for less than 12 million. Probably.

15 minutes ago, BigGrip said:

Not the time to trade him. He knows its a one year deal. So he will give his BEST. If he want to justify getting the BIG bucks, he will show it this season. Who knows, he might be worth that  $12.8 mil plus some.    :tiphat:

The same logic could have been used last year and he sucked. I am still shocked we picked him up for the 5th year option. 2m+ per sack..Must be nice.

Posted (edited)

Well considering all the talk about  having to work with this agency because they have Matt and Julio and Grady as well, they can't just walk all over us and hold us hostage, I do think k soemtjing is tied together regarding Grady deal and keeping Vic, if we got closer to what Grady wants and Julio wants they may "work with us "on letting is move on without Vic  all the while freeing up space, dimi just said yesterday they will have to be creative but will have some money to add some pieces cuz right now it doesn't look like we can add jack ish, soemtjing is cooking that we aren't going to figure out probably 

Edited by DMT11

16 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

The same logic could have been used last year and he sucked. I am still shocked we picked him up for the 5th year option. 2m+ per sack..Must be nice.

Very true. One big difference this year though. DQ is running the defense. I expect Vic to be utilized better. I also hope the defense will be more aggressive. Jones and Neal are back as well. I think the biggest key to success is stopping the run first. Everyone will be better if they stop the run.

Stryka likes this

1 hour ago, halifaxfalcon said:

Vic has been the main topic the last few weeks... and of course after the news that we intend to keep him on the $12.8mil 5th year option this board has gone into meltdown mode.

Given the Cap situation, could this just be a smokescreen from the front office? This time of year teams play their cards very close to their chests... Could we be waiting to see how the FA market sets itself before making a move and deciding upon his future?

The likelihood is I am miles off the mark... but even on a 5th year option Vic still retains some trade value albeit a late round selection for a team hungry for a situational pass rusher. Or quite simply we can cut ties with him when FA hits. There are several pass rushers hitting FA who could be acquired at a cheaper rate whilst also offering similar production. I will be flamed for this suggestion... but Dante Fowler Jr looks set to hit the market (and although having past injury concerns) is a player who has worked with Dan Quinn and offers similar pass rushing ability at a likely much cheaper price. Fowler remains only 24 years old and was a player we coveted the same year we drafted Beasley but was selected at #3 by Jacksonville.

It would be stupid of the FO to cut ties with Beasley before knowing what will become available in FA. Why create an additional hole without having a strategy or a plan to fill it. I believe this is the main reason why Schraeder still remains on the books as they decide what options we have as a replacment swing tackle.

I suspect I am completely wrong, but the FO WILL have to make a move at some point as we head to FA, lets see what they do.

We have 7 days left to do anything at this point. Idk what the fo necessarily is waiting on after the eagles extended Graham or whoever that was comp to #44. Just let this man go and start over with anew rookie and 12 mil for other pieces that would contribute just as much or more tbh 

Flyin' In DC likes this

12 minutes ago, BigGrip said:

Not the time to trade him. He knows its a one year deal. So he will give his BEST. If he want to justify getting the BIG bucks, he will show it this season. Who knows, he might be worth that  $12.8 mil plus some.    :tiphat:

but shouldn't he have shown that determination last season so he could've secured a long term deal with more guaranteed money?

The Daywalker, vel and Atl Falcon like this

14 minutes ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

Very true. One big difference this year though. DQ is running the defense. I expect Vic to be utilized better. I also hope the defense will be more aggressive. Jones and Neal are back as well. I think the biggest key to success is stopping the run first. Everyone will be better if they stop the run.

Simple....more cuts will be made. Bosher ? Shraeder ? Who else ?

I don't think Bs is a smoke screen...I think DQ thinks he can make chicken salad out of chicken poop. DQ and TD are going to look genius or moron by December. 

Bigbenright likes this

21 minutes ago, Cole World said:

but shouldn't he have shown that determination last season so he could've secured a long term deal with more guaranteed money?

Thats part of most of ours concern. Last year was a contract year. He was supposed to EARN the 5th year option. The option was the Falcons. They opted him in after 6 sacks and 8 QB hits. Thats worth something but not 12.8.

Maybe they are trying to incite whatever little ego he has in there. Pay him and raise expectations. I mean they already were high. Honestly it only makes sense to keep him from the angle that we dont have a lot of money, only 2 DEs under contract and expecting him to improve under DQs guidance. Add in the injury plagued season to Blank, TD and DQ and its enough excuses. I guess...

30 minutes ago, Cole World said:

These are the hard questions that people can't answer. People would rather live in the hypothetical and HOPE Vic turns a corner. He was making less last year in a contract year and just got paid more than his entire four year deal with his 5th year option. I guess NOW he'll be more determined? Yea....

Kinda think we still move on. FO could chalk a trade up to the Grady talks not panning out.

If we really do hit the new year with that ~13 mil fully guaranteed in Vic's pocket, I'm going to be upset. He hasn't earned it. Period. He would have to be a whole lot better to justify that spending this year, and even then I'm not sure I'd approve of it.

7 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Can someone explain to me why Beasley at 5 sacks isn't worth 12.8 mil, but Flowers at 7.5 sacks is worth 17.5 mil?

Bout 50 more tackles. Double the pressure. Double the run stopping ability. Still young and ascending. Played all over the DL. 

2 minutes ago, Stryka said:

Bout 50 more tackles. Double the pressure. Double the run stopping ability. Still young and ascending. Played all over the DL. 

30 more tackles. 

Also you got a link to the pressure stat? 

They could easily extend him and free up some money...maybe 18-20M over the next 3-4 years, but that may not be worth it either.

1 hour ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

Why didnt Quinn work with the defense last year when ALL the good players went down except Grady?  I think he did, but it wasnt publicized.

Falcons_Frenzy and Malachore like this

27 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

30 more tackles. 

Also you got a link to the pressure stat? 

Preciate you doing the diligence. 30 tackles alone is double how many Vic gets a season. He tripled Vic if thats the case. 

Here ya go though in case you were wondering why he is worth it. 

DzsoJngXgAANNpU.jpg

6 minutes ago, Stryka said:

Preciate you doing the diligence. 30 tackles alone is double how many Vic gets a season. He tripled Vic if thats the case. 

Here ya go though in case you were wondering why he is worth it. 

DzsoJngXgAANNpU.jpg

Now where's the stats for Vic so we can compare.