Falcons and Grady not close

9 minutes ago, Vandy said:

We make our QB the highest paid in the game (at the time)...about to do the same with our WRer....and we appear to be vastly overpaying our most disappointing player when logic says let him walk. 

We’re not really doing it even close to the Patriots way. 

Eh maybe. Brady has a higher cap hit than Matt this year and apparently they were chasing Julio and OBJ. Now the Vic thing... SMH

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Malachore said:

I don't want him to go but people are crazy if they think he's worth 18+.

He may not be worth $18+ but there are other teams willing to pay around that — some perhaps even more - so that is the going rate set by the current market for that age, skill level and position like it or not

Now all that being said..... Have the Falcons GROSSLY OVERPAID people in the compared to market—h-ell yes they have — Anyone remember the how much we paid Sam Baker to resign? Practically no other team would have paid him even half of what we did—-if even that.

9 minutes ago, vel said:

Eh maybe. Brady has a higher cap hit than Matt this year and apparently they were chasing Julio and OBJ. Now the Vic thing... SMH

I would compare Sam Baker to Nate Soldier, who was always overrated in NE surrounded by good players and meh last year in New York . BB just knew he wasn’t worth elite LT money. 

Lets just hope DQ sees something that turns Beasley around. We both know after 4 years BB would have let him go at the extreme 5th year cost. 

6 hours ago, k-train said:

I agree w/ the concept of not overpaying for a position that is currently the flavor of the minute. DTs are in style in the NFL right now because everyone want to find "the next Aaron Donald", but OCs will adjust to this wave of interior pass rush & then it'll be on to the next hot thing... and a bunch of teams that got caught chasing the fad will be stuck with DTs on massive contracts who are no longer as effective.

However, the fact that this draft class is loaded at DTs kinda hurts Grady's trade value. No GM is gonna pony up a prime draft pick for Grady because they will have to pay him that $17-$18M/year, and they could just keep their draft pick, select a DT, and pay him waaaay less over the next several years for potentially the same or better production. So unless there is a GM out there who absolutely doesn't like any of the DTs in this class, but really wants a guy like Grady, I'm not so sure we would get a whole lot in a trade.

Great point about his trade value......so does that mean if he hits the open market a team would pay him what he’s asking? If not, then the Falcons should have the leverage right?

If we let him walk then our Front office has truly learned nothing about building our lines. I mean without him on the DL we have a turnstile in the middle. You think we would have learned by now when we let Poe and Crawford walk and our DL fell off a cliff. Get Grady done regardless of the cost and draft 2 big monster interior guys in the draft within the first 4 rounds.

So tried of year in and year out this team having issues on the DL that are more than obvious and us thinking we can just keep duct taping solutions together ont he DL instead of really focusing on it for at least a few off seasons.

29 minutes ago, Vandy said:

We make our QB the highest paid in the game (at the time)...about to do the same with our WRer....and we appear to be vastly overpaying our most disappointing player when logic says let him walk. 

We’re not really doing it even close to the Patriots way. 

We are actually doing the opposite

19 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I would compare Sam Baker to Nate Soldier, who was always overrated in NE surrounded by good players and meh last year in New York . BB just knew he wasn’t worth elite LT money. 

Lets just hope DQ sees something that turns Beasley around. We both know after 4 years BB would have let him go at the extreme 5th year cost. 

They are letting Flowers walk too

Not that I want to let Grady walk but last time I checked we didn’t win a super bowl with him and if signing him to an insane price prevents us from adding free agents needed for depth and improvements to get to that goal...deuces Grady! After last season it’s apparent we have three players this team can’t function without, Ryan, Debo and Julio.

1 hour ago, JG2008 said:

He may not be worth $18+ but there are other teams willing to pay around that — some perhaps even more - so that is the going rate set by the current market for that age, skill level and position like it or not

Now all that being said..... Have the Falcons GROSSLY OVERPAID people in the compared to market—h-ell yes they have — Anyone remember the how much we paid Sam Baker to resign? Practically no other team would have paid him even half of what we did—-if even that.

That's absolute ********. Baker would have gotten exactly what we paid somewhere else. 

2 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Bellichick and Brady are how they win. They win a different way every single time..... 

They do seem to win a different way every single time! Whether the Refs decide to reverse PI call on a Patriots CB, or they decide to not call holding on a Patriots LT, or maybe setting a precedent for what is considered a catch by reversing a touch down that would have won the game for the other team.

3 minutes ago, Cheap Talk said:

They do seem to win a different way every single time! Whether the Refs decide to reverse PI call on a Patriots CB, or they decide to not call holding on a Patriots LT, or maybe setting a precedent for what is considered a catch by reversing a touch down that would have won the game for the other team.

I never said I agreed with how they won lol

2 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

So you shouldn’t try and emulate the best?  All they do is coach the scheme properly.  DQ is that kind of coach

DQ is not 1/100th of that kind of coach . DQ is a 28-3 lead blowing kinda coach . He’s in a genre of his own . A genre of stupidity . 

Edited by GeorgiaBoyz
12 hours ago, Atl Falcon said:

Tag and trade him if possible...otherwise let him go he ain’t worth 18m/yr. Do what BB would do. DT is loaded in draft...let him walk

Sadly, I agree with this to an extent. Is it really worth it with replacement opportunities? What’s the true opportunity cost? What if he decides to hold out?

1 hour ago, Cheyakita said:

Not that I want to let Grady walk but last time I checked we didn’t win a super bowl with him and if signing him to an insane price prevents us from adding free agents needed for depth and improvements to get to that goal...deuces Grady! After last season it’s apparent we have three players this team can’t function without, Ryan, Debo and Julio.

You have the right of it regarding the bolded.  I’d maybe add Neal but that’s a push

Beasley most likely walks after this year; major commitment isn’t on the table and his current overpaid year pending is not the same as Grady’s situation.

Grady will probably be back. Hopefully his play going forward will match what he is trying to go for on this long term deal.

No sense in trying to be NE when they’ve done it for decades and no one has matched them. You’ll only find negative self-comparisons or focus on those.

15 minutes ago, CEO_PARLAY said:

Sadly, I agree with this to an extent. Is it really worth it with replacement opportunities? What’s the true opportunity cost? What if he decides to hold out?

Yep, stop the bleeding now. I'd let him walk. We can draft a guy and i guarantee you a cheaper option will show itself  No way I'd pay Vic either. Both could walk.

Edited by THEHEADCOACH