Matt Schaub back with two year extension

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I bet it was for the 4 million he was making. Is TD spending AB's money wisely? How can we even get a mid-level F A at the rate we are going? Is he handcuffing our run for the SB? We have to trust he and DQ know what they are doing and have a plan but from the outside looking in it's getting messy.

1 hour ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Writer for USA today and CBS sport... 

@BiffSippman: Love the #Falcons bringing back the legend, Matt Schaub. Schaub guided the Falcons in the post Vick days to near Super Bowl contendership and then excelled in Houston. Have to think if Matt Ryan shows any signs of slippage, we could have a QB controversy on our hands. https://twitter.com/BiffSippman/status/1101907018833629184/photo/1

Wtf... 

there aren't enough lol's in the world for this

I mean it definitely ensures that we won't be completely out of it if Matty were to miss anywhere from a half to 4 games...

Also, I'd just about guarantee that this deal will be more incentive-laden since this is likely Shaub's last team and possibly his last deal.

And for a top 3 backup QB, I'm alright with that.

Strangely enough, I'm o.k. with this.....at least, until I see the numbers. 
Schaub is one of the better back ups (probably top 3) and he knows our system.  Plus, he's another set of veteran eyes for Matt Ryan, and they seem to get along well.  Just another position we don't have to worry about for a couple of more years, is the way I look at it...

Edited by FalconJim

1 hour ago, Dirtybird3 said:

This is why we're never rolling in cash. We waste money on players that don't contribute smh. Not that he's trash, but & knock on wood* Matt's been consistently healthy. Why invest that much into a backup 

we overpay plain and simple. ryan is overpaid, both brady and brees make less than him and both are way better. julio is overpaid, yes i said that for hin to make what he makes he shiuld lead the league in touchdowns, he doesnt even come close. beasley is overpaid. trufant is overpaid. alford was overpaid, shraeder is overpaid. and although he is a great player we will ultimately overpay jarrett. thats why new england keeps winning superbowls they dont overpay players. if it looks likes a free agent is gonna end up overpaid they trade them off and end up with a high draft pick instead. ie chandler jones. 

13 minutes ago, yungfalc92 said:

I mean it definitely ensures that we won't be completely out of it if Matty were to miss anywhere from a half to 4 games...

Also, I'd just about guarantee that this deal will be more incentive-laden since this is likely Shaub's last team and possibly his last deal.

And for a top 3 backup QB, I'm alright with that.

Dude, you might wanna brush up on who Matt Schaub is these days, not what he was a decade ago. We don't have the Schaub that backed up Vick, we have the one who is turning 38 this summer. His arm has been garbage for a long, long time now.

It has literally been 7 years since he was productive against a starting NFL defense. SEVEN YEARS. That was way back in 2012.

Since then, he blew his arm out & turned into a pick-6 factory.

In 2013, Schaub set an NFL record by throwing a pick-six in four straight game & Houston knew he was pretty much done, so they shipped him to he Raiders for a 6th round pick.

In 2014, Schaub was benched in favor of then rookie Derek Carr. Schaub. He got just 10 pass attempts on the year, which resulted in 2 INTs and 0 TDs. That one season was more than enough for the Raiders to know Schuab was busted & they cut ties.

In 2015, the Ravens signed him to be a backup. Flacco got hurt, so Schaub started 2 games & tossed another 4 INTs ( 2 of which were pick-sixes). He was benched in favor of Jimmy Freaking Clausen. When you get benched in favor of someone as awful as Clausen, you are bad. The Ravens knew this & didn't want anything to do with Schaub after that one season.

Since then, he has sat on our bench eating up far too much cap space to essentially be a QB coach. That's an important role, but not one that needs to be eating up valuable cap space. A guy who is 38 years old & has literally not been effective against NFL starters since Obama defeated Romney, should be on the coaching staff, not the roster.

Bottom line, Schaub offers NOTHING on the field as a QB at this point, so that silly living in the past narrative that Schaub could somehow win us 4 games if Matt Ryan was out needs to stop.

25 minutes ago, HMFIC said:

Competent Experienced Back up QB is much more valuable that a kicker. We have already replaced our FG kicker.  Who you gonna get for QB that knows our system, and is experienced with it ?   Glad you are not handling Falcon money.

Oh, EVERYONE should be glad I'm not handling the Falcons money. I'm talking on a purely emotional level. I'm Matt Bryant, watching Beasley stick around and Schaub get extended? Regardless of anything you wrote, I would not be happy. That's all I'm sayin'.

3 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Better be for less than what he has been making.

2 hours ago, RubberDucky said:

Waste of money. Woulda rather brought back poole.

Yeah, I would rather see Levitre re-signed.   1-2 yr deal, low signing bonus, around 4-5 per...

Guess this tells us where the coaches think Benkert is in his development.

2 hours ago, Dirtybird3 said:

This is why we're never rolling in cash. We waste money on players that don't contribute smh. Not that he's trash, but & knock on wood* Matt's been consistently healthy. Why invest that much into a backup 

He contributes in areas we can’t measure.  I promise he adds value.  It’s just not 5 mill/year worth of value.  This will be 2 years, 6 mill

22 minutes ago, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

Oh, EVERYONE should be glad I'm not handling the Falcons money. I'm talking on a purely emotional level. I'm Matt Bryant, watching Beasley stick around and Schaub get extended? Regardless of anything you wrote, I would not be happy. That's all I'm sayin'.

Don't worry about Bryant.  He will end up kicking in the Super Bowl for the eventual SB winner.  Same way Clayborne ended up in NE last year.

Lots of former Falcons make it to the Super Bowl, with other teams....