Cole World

Ed Oliver measurements are in

125 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I don’t.  Just need a 3rd down run stuffing DT

Senat should be that guy. 

I think Oliver will be gone, but how can you pass up a DT with his speed at the point of attack if still there? 

Beasley/Jarrett/Oliver/Takk should scare the crap out of QBs on passing downs...

We all have differing views, and you know I respect yours....But To me, Wilkins should be a plan B if by chance Oliver is still there. 

Schwarzwald and FalconsIn2012 like this

2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I think Oliver will be gone, but how can you pass up a DT with his speed at the point of attack if still there? 

Beasley/Jarrett/Oliver/Takk should scare the crap out of QBs on passing downs...

We all have differing views, and you know I respect yours....But To me, Wilkins should be a plan B if by chance Oliver is still there. 

He is my plan B as well...I think Oliver is the best player in the draft if he remains explosive at 290 lbs

Vandy likes this

1 minute ago, Falconsin2012 said:

He is my plan B as well...I think Oliver is the best player in the draft if he remains explosive at 290 lbs

Gotcha. I thought I remembered you liked him as well.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

14 minutes ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

This has been my point all along...

Olivers ceiling is Rod Coleman at best...That’s reality...not opinion

You know how much difference a Rod Coleman would make to this team? They could finally get an effective pass rush with the front four.

Schwarzwald likes this

2 minutes ago, falconidae said:

You know how much difference a Rod Coleman would make to this team? They could finally get an effective pass rush with the front four.

That’s GJs role (in theory). We need a Base DE that can rush the passer and doesn’t have to come off field for situational guys...

10 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Gotcha. I thought I remembered you liked him as well.

Oliver is the only guy in college facing regular triple teams.  

At 20 was the youngest Outland Trophy winner

Vandy and Schwarzwald like this

Just now, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

That’s GJs role (in theory). We need a Base DE that can rush the passer and doesn’t have to come off field for situational guys...

Don't recall Coleman being a situational player before he got to 30. His first two years in Atlanta, he had 11.5 and 10.5 sacks, that would work here.

My own view on Oliver while he’s stout as a Bull and can rush the passer seems to be a one trick pony too me.If he can’t beat you with his speed and agility there’s not much nuance there and this too me separates a guy whose going to do a job to a guy whose going to be great.

If you look at a guy like Quinnen Williams we all no he’s the highest rated guy it’s because he’s the whole package and is a nuanced guy and has multiple tools and a plan to get to the QB.Nuanced,when I watch Williams and I saw this a number of times this guy is a lot bigger than Oliver But slices through gaps and splits double teams.If Oliver were in the same situation he gets neutralised or he drags the OG or C with him.

Too me Oliver feels like a risk,he looks more like a athlete with his movement skills.

If we are looking for that athlete type with boom potential **** I’d just go Khalen Saunders in the 3rd round.

vel and Schwarzwald like this

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Basically Aaron Donald and John Randle. That's about it. Out of maybe 600 DTs drafted in the last 30 years.

Right. We talking about a special breed of human. Oliver's stats suggest he has potential but im not betting on that.

Now what I will say is he can be a great base DE and sub DT. I think his style fits that mold. 

Asking him to come in an anchor in run support coming from Houston.......ehhh not sure. 

22 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

My own view on Oliver while he’s stout as a Bull and can rush the passer seems to be a one trick pony too me.If he can’t beat you with his speed and agility there’s not much nuance there and this too me separates a guy whose going to do a job to a guy whose going to be great.

If you look at a guy like Quinnen Williams we all no he’s the highest rated guy it’s because he’s the whole package and is a nuanced guy and has multiple tools and a plan to get to the QB.Nuanced,when I watch Williams and I saw this a number of times this guy is a lot bigger than Oliver But slices through gaps and splits double teams.If Oliver were in the same situation he gets neutralised or he drags the OG or C with him.

Too me Oliver feels like a risk,he looks more like a athlete with his movement skills.

If we are looking for that athlete type with boom potential **** I’d just go Khalen Saunders in the 3rd round.

If we're really being honest, the gap between Oliver and Dremont Jones may be smaller than the gap between Quinnen and Wilkins. 

kiwifalcon likes this

1 hour ago, Stryka said:

300 lbs is usually the benchmark. 

Aaron Donald, Fletcher Cox, Gerald McCoy & Geno Atkins all weighed less than 300lbs at the combine. So basically the best pass rushing DT's in the NFL were all sub 300lbs guys coming out of college.

Schwarzwald likes this

56 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

Aaron Donald, Fletcher Cox, Gerald McCoy & Geno Atkins all weighed less than 300lbs at the combine. So basically the best pass rushing DT's in the NFL were all sub 300lbs guys coming out of college.

Shedding weight for combine is for looks. Some want to be heavier, some want to be lighter. Its about lookinh like the best version of you. These guys play at 305-310 and are probably a bit heavier than that as Fletcher Cox doesnt look anything like a guy teetering on 300 line. A. Donald cannot be compared to anyone. Atkins is another guy who is slightly above 300 lbs. Not 285lbs. 

3 hours ago, vel said:

Yea I could see Wilkins going to the Lions or the Bills before Oliver. I will admit, me warming up to Wilkins is VERY recent lol so I could have very well been behind you on the Wilkins train. I think part of it is because he's been around forever it seems. 

Post up his bust tape. You could go deep. Even against Alabama. 

He's an as beater and in my first round BPA group. Can play inside and outside.

Stryka likes this

2 hours ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

This has been my point all along...

Olivers ceiling is Rod Coleman at best...That’s reality...not opinion

If his ceiling is Rod Coleman and he can reach it, give me somma dat.

Still think buddy will be gone when we're on the clock.

Schwarzwald likes this

Just now, FalconFanSince1970 said:

If his ceiling is Rod Coleman and he can reach it, give me somma dat.

Still think buddy will be gone when we're on the clock.

Id take that. Rod had 3 or 4 double digit sack seasons. Idk if he is that though. Oliver looks like a fantastic athlete but I want to like him a lot but his size bothers me. Sure he could bulk up but he likely did to come to combine. 

4 hours ago, vel said:

I think so too. If we didn't have Jarrett, Oliver makes a ton of sense. But that's too little size and with DQ saying he wants to get bigger and nastier, Oliver isn't checking one of those boxes unfortunately. 

One critique; he said he wanted pass rushers on D most recently from combine quotes...didn’t care if that’s 250-350 etc

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

Plan A should be sign a run stopping DT, like we did with Poe. And an OG. Then go BPA. In every round.

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Plan A should be sign a run stopping DT like we,d with Poe, and an OG, then go BPA. In every round.

Man, I hate trade ups but.....would be estatic if we drafted Derwin White in Rd 1 and found a way to move up and get Dexter Lawrence With our pick #2.

Draft OG with next pick + Fix OL in FA.

Hurry_Up_And_Buy likes this

17 minutes ago, Stryka said:

Shedding weight for combine is for looks. Some want to be heavier, some want to be lighter. Its about lookinh like the best version of you. These guys play at 305-310 and are probably a bit heavier than that as Fletcher Cox doesnt look anything like a guy teetering on 300 line. A. Donald cannot be compared to anyone. Atkins is another guy who is slightly above 300 lbs. Not 285lbs. 

But coming out of college, which is where Oliver is now, they were all sub 300lbs. 

Fletcher Cox played at 295lbs his Junior year. He played at 275lbs his freshman year. Atkins played at 290lbs his final year in college

3 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

AD light would be my call.  Not a 20 sack guy...but an elite run defender and 10 sack guy

Could Oliver be a Geno Atkins type?

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

Senat is too small. He's stout but if you watch his tape he gets engulfed by the bigger offensive lineman. Da'Shawn Hand would have been a better pick-up. I love Senat as a role-player don't get me wrong. But he's wayyy too small to man the zero gap consistently. 

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

18 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Post up his bust tape. You could go deep. Even against Alabama. 

He's an as beater and in my first round BPA group. Can play inside and outside.

Never said he was flawless. Wilkins gets pushed around at times when I think he shouldn't. See! That's how you can like a prospect but also acknowledge he's got flaws. You and others act as if acknowledging a players flaws means you don't like him. Matt Ryan throws an inconsistent deep ball, but I'd take him over all the other 31 QBs in the NFL with that flaw any day. 

10 minutes ago, Stryka said:

Id take that. Rod had 3 or 4 double digit sack seasons. Idk if he is that though. Oliver looks like a fantastic athlete but I want to like him a lot but his size bothers me. Sure he could bulk up but he likely did to come to combine. 

It’s not his size for me it’s his lack of nuance and having a plan what gets me thinking about him a bit more.Hands to I just don’t see that good hand placement and usage to be a stud on the next level.

Beasley is the same he’s a natural athlete but with out that hand usage he’s rendered useless at times and if I’m honest I can see that happening to Oliver.You can’t just win with one thing at the next level.

Got to have a plan I’m not sure Oliver has that.Hey I could be wrong but he’s a question mark for me at 14.

8 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Man, I hate trade ups but.....would be estatic if we drafted Derwin White in Rd 1 and found a way to move up and get Dexter Lawrence With our pick #2.

You already know I'd lose my mind. Devin is my fav and Dexter could fill a major hole. Wouldn't be mad at all. Unfortunately I think both will go a couple picks before ours. Devin Top 12 and Dexter low first or early second. Sign two trench vets and go BPA in every round. Even if it's a QB. Rinse and repeat every year. Get stacked.

Vandy likes this

Why 

6 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I wouldn't be mad at this AT ALL! Btw if you like Dex Lawrence check out Anthony Rush out of UAB. Very similar builds and strengths.

Vandy likes this