Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AF89

Atlanta United March thread

75 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, mqg96 said:

The hangover is in. I really thought we’d come out on fire against Columbus man. 

2019 is setting up to be a typical bad ODD year in Atlanta/Georgia sports.

We came out on fire alright. 

A dumpster fire, full o $hit!

3 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

The way this season is going, there is a very good chance all of the good will dnd magic built up could be in jeopardy as this team is everything the non soccer fan hates. 

Its like watching paint dry and then you lose. :shrug:

I just want a normal game that's not on the tail end of a trip to central America/Mexico and played in a half foot of water

Just now, AF89 said:

I just want a normal game that's not on the tail end of a trip to central America/Mexico and played in a half foot of water

All imma say is, the other team had to play in the same weather conditions. 

1 minute ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

All imma say is, the other team had to play in the same weather conditions. 

That only means it was a fair not that it should be used as a standard from which to judge the progress of the team.

You can put two football teams on a rollerrink covered in baby oil and somebody is probably going to slide a few scores in

2 minutes ago, AF89 said:

That only means it was a fair not that it should be used as a standard from which to judge the progress of the team.

You can put two football teams on a rollerrink covered in baby oil and somebody is probably going to slide a few scores in

Oh no, I got what you are saying, however this team is turning into what the average American sports fan hates about soccer. 

And then they are not winning.

14 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Oh no, I got what you are saying, however this team is turning into what the average American sports fan hates about soccer. 

And then they are not winning.

I'm saying people shouldn't panic until the nextl home game and they still look flat. There's been a ton of mitigating factors that easily frustrate a team trying to learn a new system

3 minutes ago, AF89 said:

I'm saying people shouldn't panic until the nextl home game and they still look flat. There's been a ton of mitigating factors that easily frustrate a team trying to learn a new system

My fear is that they not panic, but just simply move on to whatever else they do during the summer and fall of the year.

Panic would be a good thing as it would show that people are truly emotionally involved.

17 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

My fear is that they not panic, but just simply move on to whatever else they do during the summer and fall of the year.

Panic would be a good thing as it would show that people are truly emotionally involved.

Maybe if the Braves do something this summer 

Tbh I'm not too worried about the attendance.  Oh there's a limit for everything if they keep losing but right now the hardcore fans are still on that championship high.

I'm more worried about Pity getting frustrated and suddenly one bad experience and the pipeline suddenly doesn't have the same cache it did under Tata(or maybe it doesn't who knows, not like we don't have more money)

3 hours ago, AF89 said:

3 hours ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Guys, we only have 2 goals in 4 games. If you don’t count the Monterey second game as a win where they needed to not lose by 3, and they succeeded, we have won once since the MLS cup. There are no excuses of weather, injuries, extra rest, or a new coach and new system, etc. This is a entirely new team and is getting results. It’s been 8 games now. This is not a good team. If we don’t look a whole lot better against New England, this long hangover season will continue. 

Ezekiel 25:17 likes this

1 hour ago, mqg96 said:

Guys, we only have 2 goals in 4 games. If you don’t count the Monterey second game as a win where they needed to not lose by 3, and they succeeded, we have won once since the MLS cup. There are no excuses of weather, injuries, extra rest, or a new coach and new system, etc. This is a entirely new team and is getting results. It’s been 8 games now. This is not a good team. If we don’t look a whole lot better against New England, this long hangover season will continue. 

You can't just throw out the injuries and the compressed schedule (while trying to implement a new system) they are what they are and this has been far from a normal start. And today was particulary abnormal. You can go your whole career and not play in a flooded pitch that bad. The ball just died on every pass. (In fact it lead to one of the goals we gave up on a "turnover") 

We have this entire season  yet to see this team well rested on a pristine pitch (unless you count Kennesaw). For a possession based system...that's kind of a big deal. 

In any case you can draw absolutely nothing from this particular match, that was hardly even soccer than it was some sport only vaguely reminiscent of something that might be soccer. Barcalona would have looked garbage out there.

4 hours ago, mqg96 said:

I get his point about playing in better weather but you are spot on! 

If you are a great team it shouldn’t matter if you are playing in a phone booth, sandbox or parking lot.

mqg96 likes this

15 hours ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

I get his point about playing in better weather but you are spot on! 

If you are a great team it shouldn’t matter if you are playing in a phone booth, sandbox or parking lot.

Patriots are (in)famous for going down to Miami and losing in the rain

You change up the playing field that drastically,  the Silverbacks could have given us an L.

And not for nothing but Columbus is a playoff caliber squad, that plays a much more physical and direct style of football. Yesterday couldn't have better played into thier hands.

14 hours ago, AF89 said:

Patriots are (in)famous for going down to Miami and losing in the rain

You change up the playing field that drastically,  the Silverbacks could have given us an L.

And not for nothing but Columbus is a playoff caliber squad, that plays a much more physical and direct style of football. Yesterday couldn't have better played into thier hands.

Have we played all playoff caliber teams and not been able to score? 

Does that mean we are NOT a playoff Caliber team? 

And the New England model is ok IF we had one or two not so good games. We seem to be having a trend as it is not like we are lighting up the scoreboard at home in doors either.

3 hours ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Have we played all playoff caliber teams and not been able to score? 

Does that mean we are NOT a playoff Caliber team? 

And the New England model is ok IF we had one or two not so good games. We seem to be having a trend as it is not like we are lighting up the scoreboard at home in doors either.

But again we've yet to actually just see this team in a normal weekend soccer game that wasn't part of 3 games in 7 days stretch (that involved serious travel to foreign countries not even getting into international duties) thier most rested game on a normal pitch was actually Kennesaw where they did exactly what they wanted to do and dominated. We saw just how exhausted they were against Philly, Remedi was dead on his feet and we were out of subs. The only outlier from that just happened to be a game where the ball could barely be moved. 

I think people are being a tad unrealistic to expect United to hit the ground running while trying to learn a new system and dealing with fatigue and injuries.  

I can't stress enough how important continuity,  fresh legs and a clean pitch are to a system that wants to cut its teeth on possession and we're trying to learn the darn thing

Well, Arsenal went through similar growing pains with Unai Emery. Difference is Emery had a good track record and Arsenal was still scoring plenty of goals even though they were losing.

I hope it is just that--growing pains. 

My only complaint is we've left about 10 goals on the board today. Otherwise it's a good ol fashion domination (but still a bit nervous when you don't bury your chances)

This definitely helps take him off the hot seat for now but I don't know what it does for my opinion of FdB, in that we **** canned his possession system and absolutely dominated. Can't help but be a little melancholy that we didn't do it sooner but otherwise **** yeah

We still suck at closing games. Sloppy possession after possession. Pity Martinez (don't know why he's on minutes restriction) provided a brief spark in a lackluster effort to finish the game. A win is a win, but still a lot of improvement needed to compete with the likes of LAFC.

38 minutes ago, No.11 said:

We still suck at closing games. Sloppy possession after possession. Pity Martinez (don't know why he's on minutes restriction) provided a brief spark in a lackluster effort to finish the game. A win is a win, but still a lot of improvement needed to compete with the likes of LAFC.

Pity took an injury over the international break and thier easing him back in

Tbh it was right out of last year's playbook, eschewing possession for counter attacks which lead to better fast break oppurtunities. The championship team probably cost themselves the shield with some of thier late game close outs.

I also remember last year's biggest headache was wasting so many sitters but it's kinda nice to be back there lol