Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AF89

Atlanta United March thread

84 posts in this topic

How seriously should we field a starting lineup Sunday?

Cause I don't know about yall but I'm stumped

Monterey has Chivas this weekend both fighting it out for the mexican championship while we could drop our first game np if we had to so...maybe advantage us

And they got Tigres before our return leg

Not a bad hand to get dealt, especially since it's Monterrey on the other side. Will be interested to see if any regulars (except Robinson, who I expect will start) get minutes on Sunday. Even if they don't, it's still a winnable game due to injuries throughout the DC roster.

AF89 likes this

10 minutes ago, ATLBrave said:

Not a bad hand to get dealt, especially since it's Monterrey on the other side. Will be interested to see if any other regulars (except Robinson, who I expect will start) get minutes on Sunday. Even if they don't, it's still a winnable game due to injuries throughout the DC roster.

DC has been pretty poor preseason and were as deep as we've ever been so we got a chance I agree.

I'd take a draw right now tho lol

May I suggest a new folk hero for this city in the absence of Matt Bryant and once upon a time Evan Gattis?

screen-shot-2013-06-24-at-5-23-21-pm.png

1_0_0__718c5084d54dbea992878af9345fd8920

6498162d14f7ab0ebbdd034c5c64df94.jpg

Well looks like we're starting all but Gressel (wingback being the most physically taxing position in our offense)

Edit: No Pity either

So tactically this game was botched. We had a chance to play the kids, instead we tried to have our cake and eat it too, went near full lineup but then tried to go half pace in the first half and the result was we spent the second have chasing a deficit and had to make different subs then the ones I've no doubt we would have preferred to make.

I think we can hang around for a little bit but I fully expect to get skull drug by the second half in Mexico

10 minutes ago, JerseyNo11 said:

We need another striker.

Naw we need our wingbacks healthy. By far our biggest weakness today offense and defense

4 minutes ago, AF89 said:

So tactically this game was botched. We had a chance to play the kids, instead we tried to have our cake and eat it too, went near full lineup but then tried to go half pace in the first half and the result was we spent the second have chasing a deficit and had to make different subs then the ones I've no doubt we would have preferred to make.

I think we can hang around for a little bit but I fully expect to get skull drug by the second half in Mexico

The subs should have been made sooner. Villalba and Ambrose by and large played like garbage. Brek Shae is...yuck.

They looked a lot better and sharper with Pity and Gressel in the game.

Yeah Brek isnt nearly as fun when Atlanta doesn't spend 80% of the game on the front foot and can pin the other team in its own end. 

Escobar and Bello need to get healthy and fit asap

10 minutes ago, AF89 said:

Would rather have lost this game 5-0 playing the kids <_<

Don't really wanna get in the habit of throwing games just to develop kids, especially in conference games.

1 minute ago, JerseyNo11 said:

Don't really wanna get in the habit of throwing games just to develop kids, especially in conference games.

Yeah but if the priority is CONCACAF and they said it was then they should've treated Wednesday like a playoff game and rotated today accordingly. We just logged minutes on our starters for absolutely nothing to show for it.

In contrast Monterey rested yesterday and still dominated Chivas and won. 

If we go into next week's home leg with nothing to play for  down like 3+ goals its going to be a massive buzzkil.

So I don't know what the fuq de'Boar was doing tonight but with all the schedule crunch, waiting till the 89th minute before making your first sub....

I dunno what your doing dawg...I can't even explain that one

He's going to piss me off Sunday if we play the kids NOW with any sort of comeback in CONCACAF unlikely to say the least. We better not drop points.

Focus on the league coach. Do not dig a deeper hole trying to salvage this. We don't have the depth right now with Escobar, LGP (on yellow card accumulation) and possibly Gressel out.

Alright so this is how'd I'd reconfigure the goals for the season

1.) Forget about next week's CCL game. You aren't coming back against a team that's in form as Monterey down 3 with our injuries. Period. end of story. Focus instead on getting your first season win on Sunday.

2.) Seriously consider going for the US Open Cup this summer. It's the easiest route back into the CCL by far. If goal is still being the first MLS team to win it and make our mark on the continent then let's do what we can to get back,  try again next year with a year of the Dutch system under our belt (or knowing that this isn't the coach for us)