Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cole World

Dan Quinn feels ‘very good’ about the player Takk McKinley can be in 2019

24 posts in this topic

Dan Quinn feels ‘very good’ about the player Takk McKinley can be in 2019

Kelsey Conway

AtlantaFalcons.com reporter

INDIANAPOLIS – Dan Quinn is looking for more “edginess” on defense this year and there’s one player he’s got his eye on to help set the tone: defensive end Takk McKinley.

McKinley, Atlanta’s first-round draft pick in 2017, had an up-and-down season in 2018. After starting the year with 4.5 sacks in the Falcons’ first five games, McKinley went through a four-game stretch without any sacks. He finished the season with seven sacks.

“I think like a lot of players, he hit a rut,” Falcons coach Dan Quinn said of McKinley. “You [have] to get yourself through it and get out of it. When you get into those spaces, what do you lean back on?”

When the Falcons drafted McKinley, the passion and energy he played was displayed instantly.

Whether it was his celebrations after sacks or when he or one of his teammates made a big play, the Falcons’ defense feeds off McKinley’s energy.

Following a season where the defensive performance was not up to the standard Quinn expects, the lack of a pass-rush proved to be an issue the Falcons struggled to overcome. Atlanta finished the year with 37 sacks, which was 16th in the league.

In order for the McKinley to have the year the Falcons are expecting of him in his third season, Quinn said it will come down to “consistency in his preparation and practice to get to the game and really feel right.”

Although McKinley can help lead by example in terms of the “edginess” Quinn is looking for simply by his physical style of play, he’ll need help from his teammates to make sure the style the Falcons want to play with is visible in every aspect of the defense.

It all starts up front and creating pressure on opposing quarterbacks.

And that starts with McKinley and Vic Beasely, another player Quinn is expecting to have a big year as he is going into his final season of his contract with the Falcons.

All eyes will be on McKinley and Beasley as the Falcons’ defense looks to re-capture their identity on defense.

“[I want] real edginess from those two guys,” Quinn said. “The relentlessness that it takes to play, both guys are really aware of what they want to do. I think sometimes that’s when you’re at your best when you got stuff to prove and both of them do. I love the speed they both have, not it’ a matter of putting the whole thing together. If you can really be consistent, that determines how good you can be. We’re looking for that.”

HASHBROWN3 likes this

Takk grew a lot last year. Early on, you saw what he was capable of. Then teams adjusted and focused on him. Now he's gotta to find another pitch. It's just like QBs from rookie to sophomore year having a step back then a step forward year three. 

Cole World, NeonDeion and Emmitt like this

Not worried about Takk. If he can tranform some of the fire inside him on the field into some some fire behind studying tape, refining techniques and adding moves he will be as great as we all believe. 

He's a baller now. 7 sacks last year . 8 sacks in 2017 including 1 in each playoff game.  If we can get Vic to bookend with 7 to 8 sacks. I think we have a good pass rush of we get 10-12 from our DTs, another 4-6 from rotational guys and a few from our DBs. 

Cole World and PokerSteve like this

12 hours ago, Stryka said:

Not worried about Takk. If he can tranform some of the fire inside him on the field into some some fire behind studying tape, refining techniques and adding moves he will be as great as we all believe. 

He's a baller now. 7 sacks last year . 8 sacks in 2017 including 1 in each playoff game.  If we can get Vic to bookend with 7 to 8 sacks. I think we have a good pass rush of we get 10-12 from our DTs, another 4-6 from rotational guys and a few from our DBs. 

If we could get a repeat performance or better from Jack Crawford that would be good. I said it before. This is Takk 3rd season but first offseason where he didn’t have surgery on his shoulder. Not to say conditioning was an issue but he will have more time to train this offseason.

16 hours ago, Atl Falcon said:

TBH I’m confident Takk can be a double digit sacker and defend the run well -  unlike Beasley I have zero faith in

100% this.  Only thing with Takk is injuries and playing hurt.  If he is 100% healthy, he is a force to deal with.  I'm ok if he doesn't get a ton of sacks if he is able to force the qb to make a quicker throw from the intense pressure. 

2 hours ago, NeonDeion said:

Healthy Takk will be a monster. Not worried. Much more worried about VB

Why exactly? One has a 1st team all pro season. The other looks like the player everyone on this message board hates. 

He said the same thing last year..... These slogans are getting old...….. fast and physical/ urgent athlete etc.. Just draft us some quality players and try not to blow the games with horrible clock management O wait they hired sumbody for that smh

22 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Can’t wait to see him tee it up. We just need one more key cog in the Fline to push us over the edge.  Senat will grow more & provided the injury bug doesn’t bite us, we’ll def be better.

Agree if we escape key injuries this defense is going to be better. Whether that improvement is marginal or maximal is going to depend on a large extent on Beasley's production and the growth of Senat and Takk.

As a Falcon fan it can sometimes be difficult to let one's imagination run wild and think about how much better this defense might be with Quinn running the show and if all these good DL players we already have start playing tight, aggressive, physical, confident defensive football.

Rather than hoping to get back to the play-offs, this defense could propel this team back to the SB this season. A much-improved defense, along with a couple of good OL FA pick-ups and a few good draft picks and we're there.

HASHBROWN3 likes this

1 hour ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Why exactly? One has a 1st team all pro season. The other looks like the player everyone on this message board hates. 

If you can’t see the difference, I don’t know what to tell you. Takk has way more fire and flat out mauls guys to the QB. He’ll get it back 

32 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

If you can’t see the difference, I don’t know what to tell you. Takk has way more fire and flat out mauls guys to the QB. He’ll get it back 

Takk: 22 tackles

Vic: 20 tackles

Takk: 7 TFL

Vic: 7 TFL

Takk: 7 sacks

Vic: 5 sacks

Takk is a superstar, Vic sucks 

1 hour ago, PokerSteve said:

Agree if we escape key injuries this defense is going to be better. Whether that improvement is marginal or maximal is going to depend on a large extent on Beasley's production and the growth of Senat and Takk.

As a Falcon fan it can sometimes be difficult to let one's imagination run wild and think about how much better this defense might be with Quinn running the show and if all these good DL players we already have start playing tight, aggressive, physical, confident defensive football.

Rather than hoping to get back to the play-offs, this defense could propel this team back to the SB this season. A much-improved defense, along with a couple of good OL FA pick-ups and a few good draft picks and we're there.

What’s good is DQ can heavily focus on the D. With MR being almost another OC & having the other coaches to support the O, we will be better!

PokerSteve likes this

1 hour ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Takk: 22 tackles

Vic: 20 tackles

Takk: 7 TFL

Vic: 7 TFL

Takk: 7 sacks

Vic: 5 sacks

Takk is a superstar, Vic sucks 

And this is why basic stats rarely tell even a part of the story 

vel and NeonDeion like this

8 minutes ago, Dirtybird56 said:

Eh. Numbers don’t lie. This message board treats Takk like he’s a star at times. In reality, he’s been a very average player in his 2 seasons. Does he have potential and upside? Sure.  But the truth is, Beasley has actually had a breakout year, Takk hasn’t. And Beasley is universally hated on this board 

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

hahah. yea, it's pretty ironic that everyone loves Takk and the "dog" in him but his first two seasons look a lot like Beasley's "no dog in him" last two seasons. They are almost identicle actually, and that's considering Vic spent over half of 2017 playing LB and dropping back in coverage. 

As much flak as Vic gets for being bad against the run, Takk has been every bit as invisible in that facet of the game. 

Edited by Dr Long Shot
JD dirtybird21 likes this

1 hour ago, Dr Long Shot said:

hahah. yea, it's pretty ironic that everyone loves Takk and the "dog" in him but his first two seasons look a lot like Beasley's "no dog in him" last two seasons. They are almost identicle actually, and that's considering Vic spent over half of 2017 playing LB and dropping back in coverage. 

Beasley from 2017 - 2018 : 49 tkls 10 sks 1FF and 1 FR

Takk 2017- 2018: 30 tkls, 13 sks, 2FF and 1FR

As much flak as Vic gets for being bad against the run, Takk has been every bit as invisible in that facet of the game. 

Yep. People are way too high on Takk just like they are way too low on Beasley. 

1 hour ago, Dirtybird56 said:

So what is it exactly that Takk brings to the table that doesn't show up on the box-score? Is it the "dog" in him? His dancing? Does he draw double teams? I'm asking because as far as his actual production goes on both the run and the pass he has done absolutely nothing Vic hasn't done. 

Man I’m pulling for the both of them.

This reminds me of the Alford Trufant mess a year and half a go.

To me it’s a waste of time.If your a fan of this team you should want both guys to go well because it’s going to take a cumulative effort upfront to turn this thing around.

I’m actually hoping our offense carries this team again so DQ can just let his dawgs eat.His defense is built to run with a lead so for me it’s more important our offense gets us out in front so the defense can play attack minded and not be dictated or react to what the other team is doing.