⚡Slumerican⚡

Calvin Ridley, how good can he be?

28 posts in this topic

One guy that hasnt been talked about much this off season is Ridley.. What can we expect to see from him under a DK offense this season? I honestly believe Ridley is under the radar coming into this season and we could possibly see Ridley having a breakout year. So with all the coaching changes, draft uncertainty and unknown about our defense.. Im calling it now, Ridley gonna have a breakout all pro season.. Better add him to your fantasy league! 

He's already an elite route runner, and he's playing opposite of Julio Jones which he means he doesn't have to worry about double teams. He doesn't have elite YAC ability, but he's leagues ahead of his counterparts in terms of getting separation.

Honestly, I don't know what his ceiling is. But he's perfectly fine where he is, which is a very good thing to say about a player entering his 2nd year.

2 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

He's already an elite route runner, and he's playing opposite of Julio Jones which he means he doesn't have to worry about double teams. He doesn't have elite YAC ability, but he's leagues ahead of his counterparts in terms of getting separation.

Honestly, I don't know what his ceiling is. But he's perfectly fine where he is, which is a very good thing to say about a player entering his 2nd year.

If Ridley puts on a little extra muscle this offseason, i honestly feel like he'll be a bigger threat yac.. All he needs is about 8 lbs of muscle mass and another year under Julio and he can be elite imo

37 minutes ago, k-train said:

giphy.gif

You got that right, i was good with his rookie performance.. Especially under Sark.. Gotta believe hes gonna ball out this season 

He really reminds me of Antonio Brown .. so fluid when running routes, fast as lightning & consistently uncovering in the red zone . That’s my only knock on Julio people love to say he’s 5-6 manned teamed in the redzone like other great WRs Hopkins, AB, OBJ, Mike Thomas aren’t . Uncovering in traffic & in the redzone is a skill . 

HASHBROWN3 likes this

I personally think his ceiling is somewhere between Chad Johnson and Marvin Harrison. Marvin was special with arguably best hands in NFL during his time with Peyton. The route running is what separated him. Marvin was always open seemingly. Ridley has that ability. 

Sure up the hands, ball security and get a bit tougher and we got another HOFer on our hands if he has the longevity. 

If he's as good as he was last year, we'll be good. With another year under his belt, I'd expect he'll be awesomer. by year 3 he may be a household name, along with his brother.

⚡Slumerican⚡ likes this

44 minutes ago, GeorgiaBoyz said:

He really reminds me of Antonio Brown .. so fluid when running routes, fast as lightning & consistently uncovering in the red zone . That’s my only knock on Julio people love to say he’s 5-6 manned teamed in the redzone like other great WRs Hopkins, AB, OBJ, Mike Thomas aren’t . Uncovering in traffic & in the redzone is a skill . 

In fairness, Matt Ryan isn't the best in the redzone either. His biggest weakness is throwing that fade in the redzone. 

ShadyRef and Atl Falcon like this

1 hour ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

Depends on which YAC though. He has terrible Yards After Contact but his Yards After Catch are on the right side of the Beckham scale

6 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

In fairness, Matt Ryan isn't the best in the redzone either. His biggest weakness is throwing that fade in the redzone. 

Not only the fade, but also back shoulder throws with decent consistency and jump balls to allow the receiver to make a play on the ball. 

His route running is good (always can be better) and he has great natural shimmy.

Needs to work on hands in general and contested catches in particular.  An extra 10 lbs or so, and a ton of catching drills would help him a lot.

He can easily be a 80 catch/1200 yard type receiver if he improves in those two areas.

11 hours ago, Stryka said:

I personally think his ceiling is somewhere between Chad Johnson and Marvin Harrison. Marvin was special with arguably best hands in NFL during his time with Peyton. The route running is what separated him. Marvin was always open seemingly. Ridley has that ability. 

Sure up the hands, ball security and get a bit tougher and we got another HOFer on our hands if he has the longevity. 

I see the same thing. Which if he ends up either wr that’s a great addition that we made. I see a bit more Harrison in Ridley due to his obsession with getting things right. When Ridley made a boo boo he didn’t pout, he shoook it off and corrected and adjusted as needed. 

On 2/27/2019 at 7:44 PM, ChickenBiscuit said:

Some cover-3 teams were cover-2 manning up to try and deal with Riddler and Julio. With Kutty running the offense, I see teams doing that more often to stop the bleeding. Hooper will be the beneficiary. 

8 minutes ago, droopy1592 said:

Some cover-3 teams were cover-2 manning up to try and deal with Riddler and Julio. With Kutty running the offense, I see teams doing that more often to stop the bleeding. Hooper will be the beneficiary. 

I feel like Koetter will game plan Ridley in as much or maybe more than even Jones.. And like you say, if they make adjustments to "try" to shut down julio and Ridley.. Hooper should eat all year.. Not gonna lie, if we build up our oline should be a exciting offense! 

Falcons Fan MVP likes this