Dirtybird56

Falcons Plan To Keep Beasley For 2019

263 posts in this topic

How bout if this is just a bluff and DQ is actually scheming to trade him or cut him or just a simple Draft strategy? Beasley hasn’t inked a deal yet. I mean Quinn doesn’t usually announce moves. When they inked means or when they cut Poole and Alford, they just did it and didn’t announce it. Smells funny at least, I may be wrong, let’s just hope I’m not. 

Coach Dan Quinn said the Falcons' "plan right now" is to retain DE Vic Beasley for 2019.

"Right now" leaves the door open for the Falcons to potentially move on from the 2015 No. 8 overall pick who led the league with 15.5 sacks in 2016 when Atlanta went to the Super Bowl. Beasley has just 10 sacks total in 30 games over the last two seasons and has been moved back and forth from linebacker to defensive end in an effort to find his best spot. Beasley carries a $12.81 million cap hit for 2019, the final year of his deal, and the Falcons can wipe it all away by releasing him. Word last November was the Falcons fielded trade calls for Beasley.

SOURCE: ESPN.com
Feb 26, 2019, 10:16 PM
Ergo Proxy likes this

21 minutes ago, stingbee said:

Do you think the front office is stupid? They know what to do and how to increase Cap space. They can still restructure some contracts and it will not be an issue. 

Yes it appears they’re stupid if they payBeasley 12.8 m this yr

Bigbenright likes this

7 minutes ago, tonatl07 said:

How bout if this is just a bluff and DQ is actually scheming to trade him or cut him or just a simple Draft strategy? Beasley hasn’t inked a deal yet. I mean Quinn doesn’t usually announce moves. When they inked means or when they cut Poole and Alford, they just did it and didn’t announce it. Smells funny at least, I may be wrong, let’s just hope I’m not. 

Smellls like sh!+ and looks like a turd floating in a swimming pool.....I don’t believe it’s a bluff

Bigbenright likes this

31 minutes ago, caver50 said:

This team loves " mid level " linemen

When your money I'd being tied up by your young talent.... rookies and those mid level guys is how you plug holes.

It's ah cap bruh

1 hour ago, Summerhill said:

Ugh. This has been expected but still disappointing. 

so losing another pass rusher will get us more sacks next year? None of the top rushers are hitting FA so Clowney, Ford and DLaw ain't happening. Beasley can still produce in the right situations. It's a big plus for the team to keep him.

1 hour ago, atljbo said:

nope... other players like Schraeder and possibly Sanu would be in trouble....Julio deal will free up a couple of millions...  Also we could restructure some players.

Regardless we wasnt spending big money  in FA..... We probably grab 2 mid level guys (making about 5 mil each like a big DT) if we sign Grady to a deal...... But we wasnt going crazy in FA regardless

Trufant needs to restructure

1 hour ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Yeah....but in 15 days that right now will cost 12.8 million...lol

Not saying we won't keep Beasley, but what's the incentive to say they're cutting Beasley? So no one wants to trade for him since he'll be cut anyways? So people know we don't think much of him and lowball us? Don't get why this is a big deal regardless.

1 hour ago, atljbo said:

you are insane if u think Grady is gone....

Franchising him would be the smart play.

It gives the Falcons another year and a better grasp of the landscape and more importantly a concrete CBA to be able to really sought out a proper contract for Jarrett.

atljbo likes this

The FO would be stupid to have Beasley and Trufant as 2 of the highest paid players on the team. Biily Check would never give Beasley that kind of money. That is one reason the Patriots win. Beasley making 12.8 million is a joke. He has been a ghost in playoff games. Hopefully this is a bluff/smokescreen. 

mqg96 and Flying Falcon like this

I don't really have a desire to watch this dude "try his best" to tackle anyone for another year. He's Jamaal Anderson with a fluke season, and nothing more. It doesn't matter what position they play you when you whiff on everything in sight.

Edited by ThrashUnreal

3 hours ago, dmo_dlo said:

This is so stupid. You pay the guy elite money. If he produces, then you can't afford him and let him walk. If he doesn't produce you let him walk. What's the logic here? You can get someone without a question mark with that cap hit, so why wasting the $13M on a guy that is very unlikely to have a future here?

The logic is DQ believes HE can make Beasley into the guy his athletic talent is meant to be that’s the logic behind it.DQ is going out on a limb for his guy.

Stryka likes this

1 hour ago, kiwifalcon said:

The logic is DQ believes HE can make Beasley into the guy his athletic talent is meant to be that’s the logic behind it.DQ is going out on a limb for his guy.

Well these are the types of moves that cost people there jobs, not just his, but the entire staff. TD will also be long gone, there is no excuse for retaining such a mediocre player at that price that has already shown us he's not that good

3 hours ago, ThrashUnreal said:

I don't really have a desire to watch this dude "try his best" to tackle anyone for another year. He's Jamaal Anderson with a fluke season, and nothing more. It doesn't matter what position they play you when you whiff on everything in sight.

Well said!!

5 hours ago, atljbo said:

When your money I'd being tied up by your young talent.... rookies and those mid level guys is how you plug holes.

It's ah cap bruh

When your roster positions are being tied up by mid-level linemen....you end up getting your as beat.

5 hours ago, mtldirtybird said:

so losing another pass rusher will get us more sacks next year? None of the top rushers are hitting FA so Clowney, Ford and DLaw ain't happening. Beasley can still produce in the right situations. It's a big plus for the team to keep him.

This must be the logic Quinnolifroff is using. Dumb as hail if so. Bro with $12.81M we could sign:

• Dante Fowler Jr.
  • Bruce Irvin
  • Steven Means
  • Montez Sweat
  • Jaylon Furgeson

I guarandamteeyou we could get more than 5.0 sacks with that crew.

Vandy, Stryka, mqg96 and 2 others like this

2 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Link? 

They could very well plan on trading him or cutting him in the next couple weeks.

6 hours ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

People are missing the point of this article.

Quinn says the ‘plan as of now’ is to keep Beasley.  Plan as of now...

Yep...until a team dangles a 3rd round pick....

Or Sweat is at 14 with no Oliver

3 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

It’s been 4 years...Hd is what he is...bank this:

Beasley will have 10+ sacks...and the Falcons will pay him a stupid contract...

Then he will go another 3 out of 4 years with less than 5 sacks....

Or Beasley pulls a Brent Grimes and goes down for the season and that cap amount is wasted...

Either way...

Falcons gonna Falcon....

IMHO this limits what we can do besides the Draft and thid will hurt our chances to go to the SUPER BOWL or deep into the PLAYOFFS. This really shackles out hands I hope they have a realistic winnable plan.

6 hours ago, Falcanuck said:

Keeping him on his 5th year option is worst case scenario. If he sucks, he took up 12mil cap to suck. If he balls out and we now want to keep him, he costs a ridiculous amount to extend. Either cut him or extend him cheaply imo.

Exactly my thoughts, if he balls out in '19 then we might be stupid enough to pay him to a big contract that will mean not being able to pay Neal, Deion, Hooper etc.