Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ike barn87987

Tweets from Orlando Brown about OL

35 posts in this topic

Yep. That's why I don't focus too much on combine numbers. Look at the tape. That's what you're getting on the field, not combine drills. Same with 1v1 drills, that's not happening in a 11v11 sport, so don't outweigh that over the tape. 

Guys that are "steals" or "overdrafted" are because teams fall in love with things that aren't tape related. Look at Blaine Gabbert for example. You can look at this Missouri tape and see he wasn't a top tier QB in any regard other than a bigger arm and he ran a fast forty, unexpectedly. Or take Grady Jarrett. His tape yelled top 50 pick, but his "non-football" related items (i.e. short) made him fall. 

The Combine is cool. But it should be a check box, not a hard rule to follow. 

11 minutes ago, Joey563 said:

Draft more Pricks?

I think he was referring to drafting guys with attitude.  I don't think it was a typo.  He was trying to be funny.

vel likes this

5 minutes ago, schwarzenegger321 said:

I think he was referring to drafting guys with attitude.  I don't think it was a typo.  He was trying to be funny.

yea, i wasnt sure... haha

Yup the combine is there to separate those who you have on your draft board from one another & to supplement what you’ve seen on film.  

It is a nice way to observe the way they interact with other players & coaches & how well they follow instructions & pay attention to details.

Sometimes, if a guy looks really fluid, it causes folks to go back to the film room & look at more game tape.

One of the most important functions of the combine is to note their real physical measurements as well as seeing how well proportioned they are relative to their position.  This includes things unseen like medical checkups. 

I would absolutely love to go to the combine as an observer.  GUYS DO STAND OUT.   How many times do you see players rise up draft boards? Very often.  Same thing happens in the opposite direction lol.

Can’t wait!

tonatl07 likes this

1 minute ago, Joey563 said:

yea, i wasnt sure... haha

when I read it first I thought it was a typo and he meant to say picks.  Then I read it again and realized he meant to say pricks.

Joey563 likes this

11 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

I get he's a good player but that doesn't mean he's a good talent evaluator.

I don't think he's saying that at all. What he's saying is "one size does not fit all". You can't say "I don't want a LT who doesn't have 34 inch arms" when there are some LTs that are perfectly fine in the league compensating for that (Jake Matthews). All OL play different. Orlando Brown is totally different than David Bahktiari. But both guys are effective at what they do. 

FalconBlood and vitaman like this

7 minutes ago, vel said:

I don't think he's saying that at all. What he's saying is "one size does not fit all". You can't say "I don't want a LT who doesn't have 34 inch arms" when there are some LTs that are perfectly fine in the league compensating for that (Jake Matthews). All OL play different. Orlando Brown is totally different than David Bahktiari. But both guys are effective at what they do. 

Yeah but if you just watch the tape like he's saying you end up with the Greg Robinson's of the world.

29 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

I get he's a good player but that doesn't mean he's a good talent evaluator.

In his case everyone thought he was a good prospect in college and everyone knew he would perform poorly at the Combine, then he performed poorly at the Combine, got picked 30-50 spots lower than he should have, and has been a solid pro from the jump. 

22 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Yeah but if you just watch the tape like he's saying you end up with the Greg Robinson's of the world.

LMAO. Robinson had flawed tape but was an absolute freak athlete for someone his size. 4.92 sec 40, 1.72 sec 10 yd, 7.80 sec 3 cone, 4.86 sec SS. All at 6'5 332 lbs.

You just unwittingly argued against your own opinion.

/thread

Tape + combine. Check both boxes and you have a great shot.

FalconBlood and vel like this

8 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

LMAO. Robinson had flawed tape but was an absolute freak athlete for someone his size. 4.92 sec 40, 1.72 sec 10 yd, 7.80 sec 3 cone, 4.86 sec SS. All at 6'5 332 lbs.

You just unwittingly argued against your own opinion.

/thread

Tape + combine. Check both boxes and you have a great shot.

People loved his tape because he was a road grader. He "mauled" people.

2 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Just because he had some good highlights doesn't mean he also didn't have flaws people chose to overlook. 

it's the same in any position in any sport. Brains over pure athletes. You have to know how to use your athletic abilities in order to take advantage of them and be successful. The best have both and work very hard.

Ovie_Lover likes this

2 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

Just because he had some good highlights doesn't mean he also didn't have flaws people chose to overlook. 

He def had flaws. That's why I didn't want him. I don't want workout warriors or highlight warriors. I want a guy who shows he can play well and test well at the combine. 

5 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

He was a lunger and had poor technique, which is exactly what Brown is talking about. Unless you're seriously trying to argue that looking at freak combine testers who were also "good on tape" is a bad idea?

Face it dude, ignoring the combine is NOT how you get guys like Greg Robinson. Because he blew that **** away. The combine HELPED his case. You're ignoring being proven wrong.

Just now, Yo_Lover said:

He def had flaws. That's why I didn't want him. I don't want workout warriors or highlight warriors. I want a guy who shows he can play well and test well at the combine. 

He did both according to you. He was a workout warrior and you claimed he was a highlight warrior. Now you're just supporting @vel's exact argument.

Just now, Francis York Morgan said:

He did both according to you. He was a workout warrior and you claimed he was a highlight warrior. Now you're just supporting @vel's exact argument.

He was a highlight warrior. He had highlights of mauling. But his tape wasn't consistent. People ignored that.

50 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

So you're saying just watching tape and ignoring the combine is how you get a bust like Robinson. Ie: Robinson was good on tape.

4 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

He was a highlight warrior. He had highlights of mauling. But his tape wasn't consistent. People ignored that.

So you're saying just watching the Combine and ignoring tape is how you get a bust like Robinson. Ie: Robinson was good at the combine

7 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

So...you want how you described Greg Robinson? Are you high bro? This is draftnut level.

vel likes this

2 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

So you're saying just watching tape and ignoring the combine is how you get a bust like Robinson. Ie: Robinson was good on tape.

So you're saying just watching the Combine and ignoring tape is how you get a bust like Robinson. Ie: Robinson was good at the combine

So...you want how you described Greg Robinson? Are you high bro? This is draftnut level.

When I first brought up Robinson I was thinking of someone else and then I didn't even realize that you were replying to that. I'm also watching Netflix :lol: my mind wasn't completely here. 

1 minute ago, Yo_Lover said:

When I first brought up Robinson I was thinking of someone else and then I didn't even realize that you were replying to that. I'm also watching Netflix :lol: my mind wasn't completely here. 

Mind saying who?

56 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Not true at all. I said all that draft season that Greg Robinson was going to bust as a LT because he never blocked any edge rushers. He crashed down every single pass snap Auburn took when he was there. But people were enamored with his size and physicality. And we see now exactly what happened.