Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cole World

Quinn and Dimitroff wants to get physical

44 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, ike barn87987 said:

I'm still not seeing/hearing. I don't see DQ and TD. Again, did DQ say that in the interview with Shockley and Matt Tabeek? Podcast 16?

Are you letting the page load after you click on it? It's at the top above the "red" subscribe - iTunes & subscribe - google play.

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/video/podcast

Thomas Dimitroff and Dan Quinn's NFL Combine thoughts and stories

Ha.  I was on the Taven Bryan train but I watched an interview he did and I also got a "not all there" vibe from him.  It didn't bother for the position but I can say I did have a negative reaction to his interview.

g-dawg and Cole World like this

16 hours ago, Cole World said:

Who do you think is the biggest A-hole in the room? LOL! That was awesome. I wonder if we drafted that player.

Cole World likes this

8 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

Ha.  I was on the Taven Bryan train but I watched an interview he did and I also got a "not all there" vibe from him.  It didn't bother for the position but I can say I did have a negative reaction to his interview.

That was the vibe I got from his film. He always looked completely lost out there. Not surprised he struggled to get any playing time or make much of an impact as a rookie, even though the Jags are loaded. He has a tremendous first step, but if he comes across as "not all there" in an interview, I can only imagine how he comes across trying to understand complex football concepts. He's a disruptive gap shooter, but nothing more. That can be game planned for and completely negated if he doesn't get it. 

Monolith2001, g-dawg and Cole World like this

7 minutes ago, vel said:

That was the vibe I got from his film. He always looked completely lost out there. Not surprised he struggled to get any playing time or make much of an impact as a rookie, even though the Jags are loaded. He has a tremendous first step, but if he comes across as "not all there" in an interview, I can only imagine how he comes across trying to understand complex football concepts. He's a disruptive gap shooter, but nothing more. That can be game planned for and completely negated if he doesn't get it. 

Yeah it all worked out.  We got an absolute stud WR.  2018 was kind of a light year for Defensive Tackles and we would have been drafting the tallest midget in the room.  I actually like some DTs better this year that may fall all the way to the 3rd round just due to the depth at the position.

Cole World and vel like this

6 minutes ago, vel said:

Completely agree.  He was always in the backfield but that seemed to be the end of it.   I saw it as rawness and was willing to reach a bit for someone who was as effective as he was but the interview maybe exposed him as a one-trick pony that would never be more than what he already was.

vel likes this

they got the fast part down and in some case physical, neal is a physical player so is grady and debo and allen. but when they whiff they whiff. duke riley was a huge whiff and so was vic at the physical part.

12 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Yeah it all worked out.  We got an absolute stud WR.  2018 was kind of a light year for Defensive Tackles and we would have been drafting the tallest midget in the room.  I actually like some DTs better this year that may fall all the way to the 3rd round just due to the depth at the position.

Yep. That's why I just never got on board with Bryan. He was Hageman without the red flags. That's still a second round player, not a first. HeIl, even this year, I'd probably take Dremont Jones or Jerry Tillery over Taven Bryan if he was in this class. 

11 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

Completely agree.  He was always in the backfield but that seemed to be the end of it.   I saw it as rawness and was willing to reach a bit for someone who was as effective as he was but the interview maybe exposed him as a one-trick pony that would never be more than what he already was.

That's what I think. They probably asked him for his thought process on some things and he probably had none and it probably turned them off. They probably still considered him at #26 but with a much better and polished player on the board, it was easier to take the safer prospect in Ridley and find a guy like Senat later than vice versa. 

It's only rah rah if you say you want more physical guys. If you say we need more 'DAWGS" on the team then that's perfectly fine.

Source: AFMB Logic, Vol 15.

45 minutes ago, ike barn87987 said:

Our top target last year was Payne, but he was gone.

Yeah Payne was my guy as well.  He was never gonna fall all the way to our spot but believe Falcons were probably poised to sacrifice the 3rd rounder to move up to 19/20 to select Payne and I believe when Tampa pulled Vea off the board that led to the domino of Skins grabbing Payne and then the first round plan got scrapped.

Luckily, the Falcons adjusted - I am sure heading into that draft they had no intention of taking Calvin Ridley but they made the transition and took the best player.

Francis York Morgan likes this

4 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

I 100% believe that too. Bet we'd have traded up if he lasted a bit longer.

outside of the Julio trade,  the Dimitroff pattern has been the Falcons are willing to sacrifice the 3rd rounder to move up in the 1st (Trufant, McKinley and likely Payne) and also are willing to drop down in the 2nd/3rd round to gain picks (Lamar Holmes / Deion Jones / Duke Riley).

22 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Draft Analyst’s Tony Pauline has reportedthat the Falcons have an eye for Payne over presumed target, Florida DT Taven Bryan, and would have to consider the hop up to get him.

While everyone, including ourselves, has mocked Taven Bryan to the Atlanta Falcons, I’m told the player they are really targeting is Da’Ron Payne. The feeling is that Payne is much stouter at the point than Bryan, an opinion we completely agree with. I have gone on record that Payne is one of my favorite defensive players in this draft and is ridiculously underrated. The Falcons would likely have to trade up for Payne, and two teams ahead of them looking to move down are the Seattle Seahawksand the Baltimore Ravens.

This follows in line with D. Orlando Ledbetter’s report Wednesday about the Falcons’ true interest in Payne, and their willingness to do what’s necessary to get him.

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2018/4/26/17284536/second-report-connects-atlanta-falcons-to-daron-payne-2018-draft

I was a huge Bryan guy but after reading hearing about the interview yikes.

My biggest take away from him was his motor this guy was still going hard in the 4 th qtr.

To me what he get exposed on was more efficient use of his energies picking and choosing when to and when not too just being more efficient.

Now if his intelligence is in question that’s an issue and maybe that’s the only way he understands how to play balls to the wall until there’s nothing left.It sounds like lateral thinking isn’t in the mental make up.

Tony Pauline is usually spot on with draft news. I've always liked him and now that Mayock is gone he's the number 1 guy I count on for Falcons news in the draft.

vel likes this

59 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

DLed that you?  I see you changed your name. :lol:

2 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Yeah Payne was my guy as well.  He was never gonna fall all the way to our spot but believe Falcons were probably poised to sacrifice the 3rd rounder to move up to 19/20 to select Payne and I believe when Tampa pulled Vea off the board that led to the domino of Skins grabbing Payne and then the first round plan got scrapped.

Luckily, the Falcons adjusted - I am sure heading into that draft they had no intention of taking Calvin Ridley but they made the transition and took the best player.

This is why I hate trading up. Would you rather Ridley/Senat or just Payne? That's an easy choice. Unless you're going to get a Julio Jones, just don't trade up, and even then it still hurts. Would you rather Trufant or Darius Slay and Brandon Williams? Again, hindsight but an easy decision and Williams was a guy this entire place knew was gonna be a stud. 

g-dawg likes this