LaurentRobinsonDaGawd

Would you all approve of this trade up?

60 posts in this topic

***TRADE*** - Atlanta trades up in the 1st round to select Michigan DT/DE Rashan Gary.

Atlanta trades away their:
- 3rd round pick
- 5th round pick
- 2020 3rd round pick
*Note: I've analyzed all of the 1st round trades since 2014, and this seems to be a fair haul to get into the 5-8 range, which is where we would need to be to snag Gary. Last year Arizona went from 15 to 10 for Rosen by giving up a 3rd and 5th. Add in another 3rd, and this lines up with roughly the cost to get into the 5-8 range. Gary WILL blow up at the combine, so getting in that 5-8 range will be necessary. A rebuilding team like Oakland at 4 might hop on a deal like this, given their desire for more picks. No need to give up a 2nd, or next years 1st. This would be the year to do a trade up, due to the compensatory picks in the 4th and 5th round. 

Trade Logic: Atlanta is in desperate need of another playmaker along the DL to pair with star DT Grady Jarrett. Atlanta can afford a trade up like this, due to their already talented roster that does not have many glaring needs. While the other 1st round DT's are solid, none of the DT's that would presumably be available at 14 can come close to Gary's overall talent and potential. Gary's impact on this defense would have a similar impact as Julio did to the offense over the past 8 years. Gary has one of the highest ceilings in this draft, and would give DQ a versatile playmaker that would flourish at DT or DE in DQ's scheme, essentially knocking out 2 needs with one pick. The overall analysis of Gary's impact on the team is discussed below. 

1) Rashan Gary DT/EDGE Michigan - When I consider our needs along the DL, I don't know if I have ever come across a more 'ideal' fit from a 1st round prospect. We are lacking a true 4-3 DE that is an everydown player, as well as a pass rushing DT to wreck havoc from the middle of the DL. We got our pure run stuffing DT last year in Senat. I don't think we are JUST lacking a DE or DT. I think our REAL need on the DL is a versatile playmaker that can play EVERY position on the DL at a high level. Gary is the chess piece that fits that mold. His play reminds me of a blend between Cam Jordan and Gerald McCoy, except Gary is a more impressive athlete than both. 2 years ago at a Michigan workout, he reportedly ran a 4.57 40, and had a 6.70 3-cone. Since 2012, no DL has had a faster 3-cone at the combine. No Michigan DB has had better than a 6.79 3-cone at the combine over that same period of time. If these numbers stand true, he will have one of the all-time great combine performances. You very rarely see players standing at 6'4' and weighing 280 lbs. do what Rashan Gary does on the football field. That versatility is what makes Gary such a perfect addition for this roster. On obvious run downs, we can move Gary to the edge, and have Grady and Senat clog the middle. Gary is an excellent run defender, and does a great job setting the edge, and making plays behind the LOS. Make no mistake, he also is plenty capable of holding his own as a pass rusher from the DE spot, as he has a tremendous first step burst, and bends the corner with ease. On obvious passing downs, we can slide Gary next to Jarrett at the DT position, and have Takk and Vic hunt from the edges, similar to the Giants' NASCAR DL back in the 2007 season. Gary brings special pass rushing skills to the DT position, as he shows arguably more potential than any other DL prospect in this draft. He has an extremely rare blend of athleticism, power, and versatility. He is simply a freak of an athlete. Since coming to Atlanta, Quinn has lacked that 'Michael Bennett' player that he can move along the DL and create mismatches. Gary has the skillset and physical tools to fit that role perfectly. If a team were to use him only as a DE, I believe Gary has the potential to be a Pro Bowl caliber player. If a team only wants to use him at DT, he has the potential to be a Pro Bowl caliber player. ****, I can confidently say he could perform at that high of a level as a 3-4 DE, and even as a 3-4 OLB. His versatility is simply amazing, and he is one of those rare athletes that don't come around that often. That's why I think having a coach like DQ is a match made in heaven for both parties. Gary gets the perfect HC, in the perfect system, to develop him and maximize his potential. In return, DQ gets that chess piece he can move anywhere along the DL to be a game breaker for opposing offenses. Don't get it twisted though, he is not JUST an elite athlete, he is an elite football player.

Stats:
2018 - Played in 9 games, and minor injuries stunted his production. 38 Tackles/6.5 TFL/3.5 Sacks.
2017 - Played in 13 games. 58 Tackles/11.5 TFL/5.5/Sacks
2016 - Played in 12 games. 23 Tackles/5.0 TFL/0.5 Sacks

GATXBOI likes this

Gary projects as a 3 T at the next level and his play and production was inconsistent at the college level at DE.

If I’m going to 14 to the 5-8 range I’d be hoping a Quinnen Williams if some how he made it to 5 or go for a Jonah Williams @ 8 or 9.

shock, hjerry, Lowndesfalc and 4 others like this

1 minute ago, kiwifalcon said:

Gary projects as a 3 T at the next level and his play and production was inconsistent at the college level at DE.

If I’m going to 14 to the 5-8 range I’d be hoping a Quinnen Williams if some how he made it to 5 or go for a Jonah Williams @ 8 or 9.

Yes, Gary us a 3 technique. He is also a overall skilled DE. His athleticism is off the charts, and he physically could pass as a thick edge rusher. His production in college does not worry me. He's one of those players that is highly talented, but just for whatever reason didn't get the most outstanding numbers in college. Hes one of those players that's will be more dominant in the NFL than he was in college, especially with a coach like DQ. 

Just now, LaurentRobinsonDaGawd said:

Yes, Gary us a 3 technique. He is also a overall skilled DE. His athleticism is off the charts, and he physically could pass as a thick edge rusher. His production in college does not worry me. He's one of those players that is highly talented, but just for whatever reason didn't get the most outstanding numbers in college. Hes one of those players that's will be more dominant in the NFL than he was in college, especially with a coach like DQ. 

That’s what I mean though,Gary will probably be used similar to Jarretts role already.Im not sure if he’s that good against the run and his play at DE was inconsistent so why are we go up for a guy that probably doesn’t fit in a role on this current roster that has already filled.

The decision then has to be do you want size next too Jarrett or do you want another penetrator.

Ideally If your going for a penetrator he has got to be able to be at least a stud against the run.

1 minute ago, FalconBlood said:

I’d be intrigued. Not in love with a Gary trade up myself. But I would be intrigued.

Im not saying you are, but ALOT of people don't look into his films, or watched any of his games. Athleticism wise, I would put him on Clowney level. He's 280, and I'd be shocked if he didn't run in the 4.6 or 4.5 at the combine. He's got a very narrow waist, and is more explosive than elite 3-4 OLB prospects. He's a monster, and is just scratching the surface of what he will become. I live in Michigan, so I could watch the games. Michigan played him at DE. If he played DT his whole time at Michigan, than his numbers would be a lot more lofty. He is the perfect 'chess piece'. He could play any position on the DL in either a 3-4 or a 3-4. His ideal situation is playing inside and outside in a 4-3 though. The bend he has off the edge is crazy. A good coach could choose him to become either Cam Jordan or Gerald McCoy, but with more athleticism. I would love for us to have DQ mold him into a versatile game breaker on the DL. 

2 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

That’s what I mean though,Gary will probably be used similar to Jarretts role already.Im not sure if he’s that good against the run and his play at DE was inconsistent so why are we go up for a guy that probably doesn’t fit in a role on this current roster that has already filled.

The decision then has to be do you want size next too Jarrett or do you want another penetrator.

Ideally If your going for a penetrator he has got to be able to be at least a stud against the run.

Gary and Jarrett are only similar with how they are both great pass rushers when playing on the inside. They don't really have much in common. Gary has the skills to become a Pro Bowl level 4-3 DE. He could compliment Takk, and also have the ability to move inside. He's like Michael Bennett 2.0, and with elite athleticism. He may be 280, but he's VERY lean. He has the frame to add weight as well. He's the perfect example of a blank canvas. I've seen scouts say that he could develop into a 3-4 OLB. He has all the tools to be molded into basically any kind of player on the DL. I think he would be the perfect player for us to trade up for and coach up.

3 minutes ago, LaurentRobinsonDaGawd said:

Gary and Jarrett are only similar with how they are both great pass rushers when playing on the inside. They don't really have much in common. Gary has the skills to become a Pro Bowl level 4-3 DE. He could compliment Takk, and also have the ability to move inside. He's like Michael Bennett 2.0, and with elite athleticism. He may be 280, but he's VERY lean. He has the frame to add weight as well. He's the perfect example of a blank canvas. I've seen scouts say that he could develop into a 3-4 OLB. He has all the tools to be molded into basically any kind of player on the DL. I think he would be the perfect player for us to trade up for and coach up.

I feel your excitement 

gtech1 likes this

11 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

Better than Quinnen Williams? I’ve seen draft guys drooling over him 

Gary is a safe pick, but Williams is safer. Gary has a much higher ceiling though. Anyone who hasn't have it much time, go look at a few pictures of him on Google. He has the frame to add more weight, and he is also a very slim 280. He just looks like a large DE. Then go watch his game tape. The way he bends the corner is phenomenal. His burst off the LOS is also elite. He's got a good motor as well. He's not one of those players that are just getting by on athleticism. I don't like bringing up high school, but he was the #1 overall high school recruit, so he's been putting his skills on display for a while. The right coaching staff will turn him into a Hall of Famer. 

Edited by LaurentRobinsonDaGawd

26 minutes ago, papachaz said:

no, there are too many others that will be available that are just as good if not better suited for what we need

I'd challenge you to make an argument for a player that could bring more to the table for this defense. The reason why I question a trade up for him is because I think he is EXACTLY what this defense needs. He is kind of position less, but in a good way. He's going to develop into a game breaker, if he is in a situation like we have here. Perfect system and coach here for a player of his skillset. He's everything we wished Vic Beasley was. 

18 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

On pass downs, we can kick him inside, but he would be our base DE. I'm looking at him as more of a traditional 4-3 DE, that way Beasley is off the field when he's at DE. Then when Beasley comes in, we kick him inside. When Gary is at DE, we put Senat or Crawford at DT next to Grady. 

4 minutes ago, LaurentRobinsonDaGawd said:

I'd challenge you to make an argument for a player that could bring more to the table for this defense. The reason why I question a trade up for him is because I think he is EXACTLY what this defense needs. He is kind of position less, but in a good way. He's going to develop into a game breaker, if he is in a situation like we have here. Perfect system and coach here for a player of his skillset. He's everything we wished Vic Beasley was. 

I'm not going to waste the time, there are plenty of threads on here already about most of them. Already a few responses here that talk about him. Throw in there isn't enough about this guy in particular that's any where near enough to merit trading up for him, especially with the holes we have to fill. The draft is noted by just about everyone to be really deep in defensive line talent, no point in wasting picks to go get one that's not named quinnen  ;)

8 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

If we can get Julio level for our DL, then I’m totally down. That’s the only level I’d consider a trade up though. 

I truly think he can be that for this team. If you haven't yet, I would recommend watching some of his game tape on YouTube.

NeonDeion likes this

23 minutes ago, LaurentRobinsonDaGawd said:

On pass downs, we can kick him inside, but he would be our base DE. I'm looking at him as more of a traditional 4-3 DE, that way Beasley is off the field when he's at DE. Then when Beasley comes in, we kick him inside. When Gary is at DE, we put Senat or Crawford at DT next to Grady. 

Why would I play a guy whose been inconsistent at college level at DE and think he’d be better off against the pros.

Yeah I’m not feeling him as described.He may be able to play inside at the next level but I wouldn’t be confident giving up 2 extra picks to go up for something that’s not a sure thing in an area of play.

papachaz likes this

7 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Why would I play a guy whose been inconsistent at college level at DE and think he’d be better off against the pros.

Yeah I’m not feeling him as described.He may be able to play inside at the next level but I wouldn’t be confident giving up 2 extra picks to go up for something that’s not a sure thing in an area of play.

Inconsistent isn't the right word. His impact on the game is evident when the game is being watched from start to finish. His production does show up on film. Watched every game of his this year because I live in Michigan. He gets alot of pressure on the QB. Be also has alot of Tackles on the RB that might be like 1 hard last the LOS, so it won't go for a TFL. He does alot of things that don't show up in the box score, like setting the edge. He is a big reason Deon Bush was freed up alot to make plays. He's also a huge reason for Michigan being one of the top 5-10 defenses in college football the past couple years. They struggled alot more, especially against the run, when he was out. No player in the draft is a finished product, I just have a really good feeling he's going to be a top 5 player from this class 5 years from now. He's got alot of physical tools you just can't reach. He can do everything well, and a good coaching staff is going to really help him lock into becoming a bReast. 

Edited by LaurentRobinsonDaGawd
kiwifalcon likes this

22 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

it's love man. can't be any other explanation. Once some of these guys fall for one dude in particular, they're the next coming of of the Messiah and nothing anyone can say will alter the love. 

gotta be love.....that's all it can be

kiwifalcon likes this

3 minutes ago, falconfreek123 said:

I like the part where you wrote trade logic, 

Darn, you wrote alot. 

If I didn't explain myself, alot of people on here would probably think I just want us to trade up for a DT. I think his role on the team could be more impactful if we used him at DE and DT. He's a freak athlete we could mold into a versatile piece along the DL. I do this stuff in me free time for fun, so I thought I'd share with you guys why I thought it was a good idea to trade up for him. I don't think I'd be down for a trade up if we had to give up a 2nd though. We need a LG in rounds 1 or 2 too much to not have a 2nd round pick.