Cole World

Best Combine test for Offensive Linemen?

47 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Cole World said:

@Falconsin2012 @FalconFanSince1970

For a big guy Quinton Spain hit on 2 out of the 3 categories. 10 yard split and short shuttle. He came close to the 3-cone.

10 yard split: 1.78, short shuttle: 4.75, 3-cone: 7.88

People are prisoners of the moment.  Spain was injured this year but 6 months ago this was the outlook for 2019 FA Guards

Top-10 interior offensive linemen set to enter free agency in 2019

BY BEN LINSEY • FEB 5, 2019 

GettyImages-489657082.jpg?w=916&h=720KANSAS CITY, MO - SEPTEMBER 17: Center Matt Paradis #61 of the Denver Broncos looks down the field against the Kansas City Chiefs during the first half at Arrowhead Stadium on September 17, 2015 in Kansas City, Missouri. (Photo by Peter G. Aiken/Getty Images)

For true football fans, the NFL season never ends. With the 2018 season now officially in the record books and the Lombardi Trophy residing back in New England after a one-year hiatus, it’s time to focus on roster building for 2019 and beyond.

The start of free agency coincides with the commencement of the 2019 league year on March 13th, as teams can start signing veterans from other teams or let their own players test the waters. Let’s dive into the top 10 interior offensive linemen set to enter free agency in 2019. 

top10iOL-1024x576.png

Screen-Shot-2019-01-05-at-12.20.16-PM-10

1. MATT PARADIS, CENTER

Paradis is in line for his first big payday after playing out his sixth-round rookie contract. He has easily exceeded that sixth-round label thus far with four consecutive seasons graded above 74.0, highlighted by a 90.2 overall grade in 2016 which ranked third among all offensive linemen regardless of position. Before breaking his fibula this season in Week 9, he had the second-highest grade among centers at 79.0, trailing only Jason Kelce. He offers an immediate upgrade to tighten up the offensive interior on nearly every NFL team.

DxTa2ijXQAIld04.jpg:large

2. RODGER SAFFOLD, GUARD

Saffold was drafted by the Los Angeles Rams in 2010 and has given them nine seasons of consistent play since. This past season, Saffold helped anchor one of the top offensive lines in the league, with the ninth-best grade among all guards at 72.8. Entering his age 31 season, Saffold still has plenty to offer a team. 

MITCH-MORSE-OBSERV-1024x576.jpg

3. MITCH MORSE, CENTER

Like Paradis, Morse is a center ready to hit free agency off his rookie contract. He doesn’t quite have the track record that Paradis does (hence his lower spot on the list), but he has shown the ability to succeed in the NFL, particularly in pass protection. This past season, Morse allowed just five pressures in 534 pass-blocking snaps, and not one of those pressures was a sack. In fact, he has not allowed a sack since his rookie season in 2015.

4. QUINTON SPAIN, GUARD

After playing just under 400 snaps as an undrafted free agent rookie in 2015, Spain has played over 800 in each of the past three seasons. He followed an excellent 2016 campaign – where he graded at 84.2, seventh among all guards – with two seasons that were closer to average and that did not live up to that mark (66.9 in 2017 and 62.3 in 2018). It’s been his run blocking that has been the culprit of the dip, falling from 80.8 overall in 2016 to 62.4 and 57.3 in the past two seasons. Despite that, Spain has been a serviceable starter and has proven he has the upside to be among the top guards in the league.

5. MARK GLOWINSKI, GUARD

Glowinski has bounced from starter to reserve at the start of his career, but it appears that he’s cemented himself as a starter with his play on the Indianapolis Colts’ new and improved offensive line this past season. He didn’t take over as a starter until Week 6 this season, but he went on to record a respectable 68.9 overall grade over the rest of the season, ranking 17th among 77 qualifying guards. 

[Editor’s note: Glowinski was recently signed to a three-year contract extension worth $18 million, keeping the Colts’ starting offensive line together for at last one more year.]

6. ANDY LEVITRE, GUARD

If not for the fact that Levitre will be 33 this upcoming season and is coming off of two seasons that were shortened by a triceps injury, he would find himself much higher on this list. From 2010 to 2016, Levitre played at least 900 snaps and recorded an overall grade of 70.0 or higher each season. If he can put the injuries behind him and return to that form, whichever team he signs with will get one of the better veteran guards in the NFL.

7. RAMON FOSTER, GUARD

Foster has been the model of consistency and a fixture on the Pittsburgh Steelers offensive line for the past nine seasons. His 8,715 snaps over that span are more than any other guard in the NFL. Foster had an uncharacteristic down year in 2017 but responded with an overall grade of 69.1 in 2018 that ranked sixthamong 37 qualifying left guards. If he doesn’t end up returning to the top offensive line in the NFL this past season, his services will surely be sought out around the league as a proven veter

falconsd56 and Cole World like this

1 minute ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I’d rather they do Oklahoma drills 

Good idea....but I think the liability would be too high.

2 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

It would draw good ratings though

True.

I always liked king of the boards more myself though.

One thing that i would like to see is a timed measurement using chutes.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

I think bench press is very important, especially to be able to come in early and play.  Also having quick feet, so drills like the 3 cone can be a good indicator.  Also on the NFL draft profile they don't usually list the 10 yard splits but I'm sure that one is very important as well.  Also arm length should be heavily considered.

Edited by dawgsjw
ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

22 hours ago, atlbaby said:

I’m not sure how Cody Ford will test but just from his film he should be our first pick. 

I don't think hes going to have a great combine other than bench.

He's going to test outside the metrics for our scheme

1 hour ago, dawgsjw said:

I think bench press is very important, especially to be able to come in early and play.  Also having quick feet, so drills like the 3 cone can be a good indicator.  Also on the NFL draft profile they don't usually list the 10 yard splits but I'm sure that one is very important as well.  Also arm length should be heavily considered.

This. Sombrilo had great metrics and taken 2nd rnd. However he didn't have pro strength and has take. Several seasons to develop into a cusp starter.

People knock the combine and athletic testing, but there are some pretty strong correlations with certain position groups. Edge Rushers, RB's, inside linebackers as an example... Look at the top 3 or 4 in the league at each position and the guys are all athletic freaks.

Cole World likes this

1 hour ago, Smiler11 said:

People knock the combine and athletic testing, but there are some pretty strong correlations with certain position groups. Edge Rushers, RB's, inside linebackers as an example... Look at the top 3 or 4 in the league at each position and the guys are all athletic freaks.

Yeah, and it's even true of other areas (RB, WR) in which you have to consider other aspects.  WR needs good hands + testing.  RB needs good vision + testing.  But in each case, short area quickness are going to be big factors.  

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 1:05 PM, Francis York Morgan said:

Combine numbers aren't everything, but they're a massive part of evaluation. It doesn't make much sense to me to view it in black and white, as the be-all or worthless. It's useful stuff.

Yep

atlbaby likes this

On 2/23/2019 at 11:24 AM, atlbaby said:

I’m not sure how Cody Ford will test but just from his film he should be our first pick. 

Some people compare him to Cordy Glenn who had: 

• 10-yard split: 1.84
  • Short shuttle: 5.00
  • 3-cone: 8.13

and has still been a good player. 

atlbaby likes this

3 hours ago, Summerhill said:

Some people compare him to Cordy Glenn who had: 

• 10-yard split: 1.84
  • Short shuttle: 5.00
  • 3-cone: 8.13

and has still been a good player. 

I see more Kelechi Osemele

I think there should be a test of hand speed or hand/eye coordination.  Most important thing for OL is good hands and feet.  Although there are some exceptions (board favorites Dahl and Clabo who were poor with their hands and had average feet), hand placement and good footwork are essential to good play.   If i have a quick burst and get my hands in the right place, with leverage, on the DL, he doesn't stand a chance no matter how strong or big he is.  The thing that frustrated me BITD was a DL that would sweep my hands.  If I could get my hands on you in the right place, I could legally hold all day long (yes, there is legal holding if you know what the refs are looking for).