Cole World

Best Combine test for Offensive Linemen?

47 posts in this topic

Great post. It shows what a great athlete Jake is compared to most linemen.

Anyone happen to have the same stats on Wes? Watching him operate in space is painful at times.

Cole World and Stryka like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Jpg428gggg said:

Great post. It shows what a great athlete Jake is compared to most linemen.

Anyone happen to have the same stats on Wes? Watching him operate in space is painful at times.

number one that's a d@mn lie since he moved to the left side and number 2: 10-yd split:1.75 // SS: 4.73 // 3C: 7.80

 

   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know that since DQ has been here we only draft defensive linemen that meet a certain athletic threshold like this. Sounds like it’s time to apply that to O-line as well. Raysnill says that Schweitzer hit those numbers so I would assume Harlow did as well. I would think they have been using these mesurables, they just haven’t picked any o-linemen in the first 4 rounds(which is about to change).

If we actually spend some high picks on lineman that meet these mensurables we can probably pull off what we need in this draft. It’ll be interesting to see which o-linemen meet these criteria at the combine.

Harlow passed the short shuttle test, but not the 3-cone. Couldn’t find 10-yard split for him.

NeonDeion likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, raysnill1 said:

number one that's a d@mn lie since he moved to the left side and number 2: 10-yd split:1.75 // SS: 4.73 // 3C: 7.80

 

   

Jake and mack protect him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

That's the kind of thinking that gets you a Warmack, Robinson, Fluker, etc

Yep, it’s always best to get guys with the most athletic upside. That’s what’s worked for us on defense under Quinn. I hope we can apply it to the O-line this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, UGABOZ said:

40 yard dash lol, 

Ever see an O Lineman 10-15 yards down field with a EB or Receiver right behind him?

 

Or to put it another way.  the one play that we all love to see is an O Lineman steam rolling a DB. Never gets old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those tests are pretty much worthless. Tape is what matters, those tests maybe are a supplement at best. I remember Bustly and Clowney blew the doors off those tests and didn't end up as good as Khalil Mack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dutty Ole Bird said:

Those tests are pretty much worthless. Tape is what matters, those tests maybe are a supplement at best. I remember Bustly and Clowney blew the doors off those tests and didn't end up as good as Khalil Mack.

Offensive line not defensive line.

all the players you just mentioned play defense.

Ovie_Lover likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dutty Ole Bird said:

Those tests are pretty much worthless. Tape is what matters, those tests maybe are a supplement at best. I remember Bustly and Clowney blew the doors off those tests and didn't end up as good as Khalil Mack.

Khalil Mack blew the doors off the tests too. Poor example. Clowney is still a great player and Beasley had a 15.5 sack season.

Combine numbers aren't everything, but they're a massive part of evaluation. It doesn't make much sense to me to view it in black and white, as the be-all or worthless. It's useful stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Drew4719 said:

If we actually spend some high picks on lineman that meet these mensurables we can probably pull off what we need in this draft. It’ll be interesting to see which o-linemen meet these criteria at the combine.

Harlow passed the short shuttle test, but not the 3-cone. Couldn’t find 10-yard split for him.

Harlow 3 cone 8.16, short shuttle 4.81, and 10 yard split 1.79

He only hit the 10 yard split but not the other 2 events.

Since1990 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Cole World said:

Harlow 3 cone 8.16, short shuttle 4.81, and 10 yard split 1.79

He only hit the 10 yard split but not the other 2 events.

Thanks for the info

Cole World likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Drew4719 said:

Thanks for the info

Looking at Lamar Holmes & Peter Konz

Holmes - 10 yard split: 1.86, short shuttle: 4.80, 3 cone: 7.74 (only hit the 3 cone)

Peter - Did not test at combine or pro day due to ankle. Only did the bench press.

 

 

 

Since1990 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, raysnill1 said:

number one that's a d@mn lie since he moved to the left side and number 2: 10-yd split:1.75 // SS: 4.73 // 3C: 7.80

 

   

Go watch some highlights of Wes trying to block at the 2nd level. He gets an A for effort but whiffs a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jpg428gggg said:

Go watch some highlights of Wes trying to block at the 2nd level. He gets an A for effort but whiffs a lot.

I've got every game recorded so I don't have to watch highlights. matter of fact people making comments like these is what made me pay close attention to Wes and made me a fan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 cone matters for most football players.

It *tries* to measure ability to change direction quickly.  That's what makes a RB miss a defender or make that quick cut, it's what enables a receiver to break off a defender, it's what enables an EDGE to switch between an inside and outside rush faster than the OT can handle.

For OL it lets enables them to get back into place once a DL switches his rush...it helps them mirror.

That's change of direction skills in general.  The 3 cone is just a way to measure it.  But that particular skill, there is zero doubt, is huge in football.

You do have to keep in mind, you have to have the size/strength to go along with it.  A corner would hit all those marks, but wouldn't be able to hold up size/strength wise.  Similarly with a 270 lb guard.  So you have to balance times with size (and actual skill as well of course.)

NeonDeion likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, raysnill1 said:

I've got every game recorded so I don't have to watch highlights. matter of fact people making comments like these is what made me pay close attention to Wes and made me a fan

That is fine. We can agree to disagree. I watched every game as well and have a different opinion. He is not as bad as everyone says he is and can be a useful player. He is tough and plays hard. If he is our worst starter on our line, we will have a pretty good line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

He is a value FA signing.  Won’t cost much more than Ty 

Yep and he’s still fairly young 27 (28 when season starts). Hopefully Mike Murlarkey will bang the table for him since they were in Tennessee together.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now