Cole World

Strictly business: Time for Falcons' Julio Jones, Grady Jarrett to cash in

67 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, slider said:

Yes I know. People want their Ferrari's. Not only would the team get very nice compensation in return but the free agents that could be signed with the money saved would probably be more impactful.

Dude we could probably get a first, second, plus free up $8M in cap space. That could bring in a haul like:

• DE - Trey Flowers
  • WR - D.K. Metcalf
  • DT - Dexter Lawrence

Plus we'd still have a full slate of nine draft picks left.

slider likes this

3 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

The standard TATF response is "just make the numbers work". Well the way you do that is by back loading deals. Those back loaded dollars start snowballing in future years. Next year about $15M of Ryan, Bloodline, Free and Tru back loaded bucks will kick in. Maybe another $10M if we back load Grady and Julio as the writer suggests. Right when Debo and Hoop's new hits hit the table. We could be really top heavy pretty soon.

Just about the time you have to pay Ridley!

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

1 hour ago, UGABOZ said:

man tru stealing money

Tru's money caused Rocky and Reed to hit the street. Now I never was a big fan of Alford's penalty machine play but he became a useful journeyman type vet after a few years and plenty of learning on the job. I think the team would not rather stick an unproven Oliver in there and go through that all over again if they had the choice. This goes to show the adverse impact of these big contracts.

2 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Good points.

My contention is that DT isn’t a position that warrants an 18 million dollar contract.  Donald is amazing, but I would not have paid QB money for him.  Not when your QB is off his rookie deal and paid elite level money.  Same goes for WR, but Julio isn’t going anywhere.

i guess what I’m saying is that if you could build a roster from scratch, you would not have your DT and WR making 18-20 million on average.   

The Patriots just won a SB and their entire Defensive Line made 17 million (10 players) and their 9 wide receivers made 15 million total.  Grady will make more than the entire Pats DLine next year and Julio will earn more than all 9 Pats receivers.

You can't really compare teams to the Pats.... Noooo other team is like the Pats and nooo Team will most likely be like them

1 minute ago, atljbo said:

You can't really compare teams to the Pats.... Noooo other team is like the Pats and nooo Team will most likely be like them

While I agree with this comment, I can't help but think that more and more teams are coming around to that Pats mentality when you look at the names on the free agent list. Now I understand that some of them will end up going back to their current teams but right now, I can't remember a time when a free agent list was this loaded with big names. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

PokerSteve likes this

16 minutes ago, atljbo said:

It’s not just the Pats.  Right now our OL averages 5.5 million per player.  Way more than any other team.  NE averages 2.2 mill.  Dallas 4.2 mill.  The closest was NO at 5 milll

PokerSteve likes this

5 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

We just came off a tightly capped year. Remember after our splash signing of ButtaFusco and being down to $1M? We didn't get relief until Lolo's numbers came off the books on June 2. We will be tight this year and if we back load Grady and Julio the way this writer suggests it won't get better in the coming seasons. 

Don’t worry bout it let the guys that are paid to worry bout worry.

I swear every year since Ryan got that contract back in the day the cap is over thought.

All this is to me is a bunch of personnel decisions made and there importance to the team going foward this is all this is.

All the rest too me is noise.

You can sweat this move and that.

The only real thing we have to worry bout legitimately is drafting.When you’ve got players to sign and the money is what it is drafting is the key.Thats the only thing I worry about.

Im actually glad we are handing this money out.What it really means is we are developing our own talent and it’s now reached a crescendo and we have to make these decisions.I’d rather us be in this position than having to sift through FA and pay market rate for someone else’s mistake no thanks.At least we are paying our own we know pretty much what we have.

12 minutes ago, Dirtybird56 said:

Grady isn’t going anywhere. He’d be the first guy of his caliber we let walk in the TD era

17 APY is what I expected all along 

I don’t disagree with you, just playing a bit of  devils advocate.  In the 3 games prior to Grady’s injury this year we allowed 34.8 ppg.  In the 2 games he was out we allowed 35 ppg.

7 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Don’t worry bout it let the guys that are paid to worry bout worry.

I swear every year since Ryan got that contract back in the day the cap is over thought.

All this is to me is a bunch of personnel decisions made and there importance to the team going foward this is all this is.

All the rest too me is noise.

You can sweat this move and that.

The only real thing we have to worry bout legitimately is drafting.When you’ve got players to sign and the money is what it is drafting is the key.Thats the only thing I worry about.

Im actually glad we are handing this money out.What it really means is we are developing our own talent and it’s now reached a crescendo and we have to make these decisions.I’d rather us be in this position than having to sift through FA and pay market rate for someone else’s mistake no thanks.At least we are paying our own we know pretty much what we have.

The idea is that if you draft well and make them better players once you get them in house,  you can afford to let 1-2 quality players walk once it’s time for them to cash in

kiwifalcon likes this

6 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

The idea is that if you draft well and make them better players once you get them in house,  you can afford to let 1-2 quality players walk once it’s time for them to cash in

I know it's just the comment from the writer of the article and may or may not describe the attitude of Grady or Julio for that matter but one thing the hated Belichick would never do is pay big money to a player who considers it as "cashing in". The money will be there for the best players but the best players are not there for the money, at least not as a main goal. A player's motivation is as important as his ability. I just cringe when I hear stuff like that.

1 hour ago, Cole World said:

With the inflation rate going up each year in the NFL 17 / 18M sounds reasonable. 

Pretty much.

The most popular reference is what a players worth.Ive always said the market sets that rate not the player.If your top echelon talent like Jarrett and Julio the above mentioned comes into play not what a fan thinks a players worth fark me I laugh when so many use this tired lame line.

FalconsIn2012 and Cole World like this

1 hour ago, kiwifalcon said:

Pretty much.

The most popular reference is what a players worth.Ive always said the market sets that rate not the player.If your top echelon talent like Jarrett and Julio the above mentioned comes into play not what a fan thinks a players worth fark me I laugh when so many use this tired lame line.

I agree..my one point of contention is Grady isn’t nearly as good at his position as Julio is at his.  Grady at DT is akin to TY Hilton at receiver

kiwifalcon likes this

33 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

You guys are crazy. Grady will be signed. Period.

A tag is looking more prudent.  I agree he will be extended, but don’t be surprised if the result is Sanu, Mack & either Tru or Free being let go next year.  

Checks and balances