Cole World

Strictly business: Time for Falcons' Julio Jones, Grady Jarrett to cash in

67 posts in this topic

On 2/23/2019 at 8:32 AM, atljbo said:

Man I can't wait tI'll this deal get done.   By the end of next wee Joel Corry gonna say Grady should be getting 30 mil a year

He'll either be tagged or get near max money. His people didn't cave to a low ball extension last year. I doubt if they will now. Grady recently said I put in the work, earned the money and won't settle. He is a top five free agent in the 2019 class. There are at least ten teams out there who'd love to have him and have plenty cap space. IND has $108M in the bank.

If we cut some more fat with Beasley, Shredder, Fusco and Bosher we could easily re-sign him, re-do Julio, add a few  free agents and sign our draft class. We'll know more next week before they head to the combine. Definitely by the following week when you have to pull the tag and get ready for free agency. Just ten more days bro. Poppin popcorn. 

1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

People think you can just pay everyone and not incur roster depreciation.  

For an example that most closely resembles ours, see the Seahawks.  They killed back-to-back drafts and paid top dollar for most of their guys once their rookie deals expired.  Their roster was top heavy and unbalanced.  Could only afford 6 million for their O Line in 2016.  As such they blew it up last year and have gotten back on track.

The standard TATF response is "just make the numbers work". Well the way you do that is by back loading deals. Those back loaded dollars start snowballing in future years. Next year about $15M of Ryan, Bloodline, Free and Tru back loaded bucks will kick in. Maybe another $10M if we back load Grady and Julio as the writer suggests. Right when Debo and Hoop's new hits hit the table. We could be really top heavy pretty soon.

44 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

He'll either be tagged or get near max money. His people didn't cave to a low ball extension last year. I doubt if they will now. Grady recently said I put in the work, earned the money and won't settle. He is a top five free agent in the 2019 class. There are at least ten teams out there who'd love to have him and have plenty cap space. IND has $108M in the bank.

If we cut some more fat with Beasley, Shredder, Fusco and Bosher we could easily re-sign him, re-do Julio, add a few more of our free agents and sign our draft class. We'll know more next week before they head to the combine. Definitely by the following week when you have to pull the tag and get ready for free agency. Just ten more days bro. Poppin popcorn. 

His ppl played it smart.. I think he will get his money.. between 16-17 mil... he has earned it tho... if he keeps up this play or more... 

I said the same thing about jake matthews... I thought both could get even better after getting there money.. they are not tapped out

58 minutes ago, atljbo said:

His ppl played it smart.. I think he will get his money.. between 16-17 mil... he has earned it tho... if he keeps up this play or more... 

I said the same thing about jake matthews... I thought both could get even better after getting there money.. they are not tapped out

Good points.

My contention is that DT isn’t a position that warrants an 18 million dollar contract.  Donald is amazing, but I would not have paid QB money for him.  Not when your QB is off his rookie deal and paid elite level money.  Same goes for WR, but Julio isn’t going anywhere.

i guess what I’m saying is that if you could build a roster from scratch, you would not have your DT and WR making 18-20 million on average.   

The Patriots just won a SB and their entire Defensive Line made 17 million (10 players) and their 9 wide receivers made 15 million total.  Grady will make more than the entire Pats DLine next year and Julio will earn more than all 9 Pats receivers.

Hurry_Up_And_Buy likes this

56 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Good points.

My contention is that DT isn’t a position that warrants an 18 million dollar contract.  Donald is amazing, but I would not have paid QB money for him.  Not when your QB is off his rookie deal and paid elite level money.  Same goes for WR, but Julio isn’t going anywhere.

i guess what I’m saying is that if you could build a roster from scratch, you would not have your DT and WR making 18-20 million on average.   

The Patriots just won a SB and their entire Defensive Line made 17 million (10 players) and their 9 wide receivers made 15 million total.  Grady will make more than the entire Pats DLine next year and Julio will earn more than all 9 Pats receivers.

I don’t know how true it is but from a few Patriots fans I know said Brady takes less money so he can have a better team surround him. Brady currently ranked 16 out of 32 QBs salary wise (APY). That alone would set a precedent.

Edited by Cole World

5 minutes ago, Cole World said:

I don’t know how true it is but from a few Patriots fans I know said Brady takes less money so he can have a better team surround him. Brady currently ranked 16 out of 32 QBs salary wise (APY). That along would set a precedent.

In the past that wes true.  But his CAP hit last year was 22 million and its 27 million this year

Cole World likes this

11 hours ago, TheUsualStuff said:

What would the most succesful franchise in the NFL do in this situation?

That's the question I like to ask.

We will see - they have Trey Flowers up and his similar type player although a little more edge player than Grady.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

Julio needs to be traded! Julio, I love you, you're currently the best WR in the league and you got us closer to the promised land than any time in our history but I can sustain my upper echelon team for several years with the money I save and the draft picks I can get in return. Julio can bring in at least the same draft picks the team gave up for him originally if he's traded right now. The raiders have the picks and the money. There are several possible trading partners. I'd sign and keep Grady Jarret for one more contract. Sorry folks but I think this team is at a crossroad financially right now and TD needs to kick his New England DNA into high gear right about now. Have that meeting with Arthur and explain the situation then take the big hit from the fans but do the right thing for our future.

13 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

I mean, the alternative is let Grady walk...draft the best DT at 14...maybe another in round 3 or 4...and get a FA DT budget signing. :shrug:

Doable...but probably a worse version of McClain/Senat rotation last year...unless Ed Oliver came in and was a beast at the 3T; who I actually want at 3T in pass rush at minimum. Grady's 1T snaps gonna go up if we get Oliver...or Oliver plays 5T sometimes.

Or tag him for a year.  One more good year and extend him.  His value won’t get much higher than it is now

35 minutes ago, slider said:

Julio needs to be traded! Julio, I love you, you're currently the best WR in the league and you got us closer to the promised land than any time in our history but I can sustain my upper echelon team for several years with the money I save and the draft picks I can get in return. Julio can bring in at least the same draft picks the team gave up for him originally if he's traded right now. The raiders have the picks and the money. There are several possible trading partners. I'd sign and keep Grady Jarret for one more contract. Sorry folks but I think this team is at a crossroad financially right now and TD needs to kick his New England DNA into high gear right about now. Have that meeting with Arthur and explain the situation then take the big hit from the fans but do the right thing for our future.

I like where your mind is at, but I can’t let Julio go.  If a team has to assume his contract, they won’t give you what you’d think in return.  I think we have to keep his signing bonus on our books, too.  So you’d have to trade before extending him again

The kind of players you keep and pay elite money to are ones that change opposing teams gameplan.  Julio & Ryan on offense and Debo on defense.  That’s pretty much it on our team.  We have other very good players, but not really players that other teams create gameplans around.  As such, I’d keep Julio and let Jarrett walk if I had to choose

28 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

We will see - they have Trey Flowers up and his similar type player although a little more edge player than Grady.

What’s your guess on what they’ll pay him?

11 hours ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Makes sense, id like to know what the Patriots pay their scouts.. Almost bet its top of the league, which dosnt come off the cap.. Get the best players at lowest prices and use money in places it dosnt count against you.. Easy enough and yet brilliant at the same time 

Sounds like a method to win multiple Super Bowls instead of just feeding a herd of Sacred Cows every year.

⚡Slumerican⚡ likes this

1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Good points.

Troffed

37 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

They have Flowers, T. Brown, M. Brown and Shelton up.

I'll be shocked if Billy Check re-signs all of them.

Dimi should sign all of em.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

34 minutes ago, slider said:

Not many TATFers support this strategy. I do. I believe we can survive without Julio. Not many others do.

slider likes this

4 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

They have Flowers, T. Brown, M. Brown and Shelton up.

I'll be shocked if Billy Check re-signs all of them.

Dimi should sign all of em.

The two Browns are gone.  Flowers too ifhe demands 15 million per

16 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I like where your mind is at, but I can’t let Julio go.  If a team has to assume his contract, they won’t give you what you’d think in return.  I think we have to assume his signing bonus, too.  So you’d have to trade before extending him again

The kind of players you keep and pay elite money to are ones that change opposing teams gameplan.  Julio & Ryan on offense and Debo on defense.  That’s pretty much it on our team.  We have other very good players, but not really players that other teams create gameplans around.  As such, I’d keep Julio and let Jarrett walk if I had to choose

I'd love to keep them all. I hope they find a way to do it without crippling the team. They already paid Julio elite money and he's at the point in his career where almost every WR in history begins to go downhill. Jerry Rice was exceptionally healthy and played in the league for 20 years but even he wouldn't produce the numbers in the second half of his career as his first half and he wasn't dealing with a foot that was falling apart. I would probably get fired and be hated for ever if I was in TD's position but I would probably seek a trade. Grady has more tread left on the tires and I would give him a few years more but Julio's going to want 5 years with massive guarantees, I wouldn't do it.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

26 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I like where your mind is at, but I can’t let Julio go.  If a team has to assume his contract, they won’t give you what you’d think in return.  I think we have to assume his signing bonus, too.  So you’d have to trade before extending him again

I would venture to say there have been way more Super Bowl Championship teams with Grady type players than Julio type players in the last ten years.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

3 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I would venture to say there have been way more Super Bowl Championship teams with Grady type players than Julio type players in the last ten years.

That’s a fact. Rice is the only elite receiver with multiple titles.  Maybe Swann but his numbers pale in comparison.

But you’re a BPA guy.  Whose the better player?  The answer tells you who to keep all things being equal

4 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Not many TATFers support this strategy. I do. I believe we can survive without Julio. Not many others do.

Yes I know. People want their Ferrari's. Not only would the team get very nice compensation in return but the free agents that could be signed with the money saved would probably be more impactful.

1 minute ago, Falconsin2012 said:

That’s a fact.  But you’re a BPA guy.  Whose the better player?

A BPA guy when it comes to the draft. We're talking about vets. You have to consider age, projected path and likelihood of influencing a Super Bowl win. If we'd won SB51 Grady might have been the MVP.

slider and PokerSteve like this

2 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

A BPA guy when it comes to the draft. We're talking about vets. You have to consider age, projected path and likelihood of influencing a Super Bowl win. If we'd won SB51 Grady might have been the MVP.

They both have 5 elite years left.  

And if we kick the fg after Julio’s catch, Grady may have been MVP but Julio would have had a bigger impact on the outcome