Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cole World

Dolphins likely to cut Robert Quinn

13 posts in this topic

Dolphins Likely To Cut Quinn, Parker

Major changes are coming in Miami. This offseason, the Dolphins are expected to cut defensive end Robert Quinn (saving $12.9MM against the cap), defensive end Andre Branch (saving $7MM, $2MM in dead money) and wide receiver DeVante Parker ($9.4MM savings), according to Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald

Naturally, the upheaval won’t stop there, but the Dolphins have some big decisions to make on significant contracts in the coming weeks and months. Ryan Tannehill is likely done in South Beach and players like defensive tackle Akeem Spence ($2.5MM cap savings) and guard Ted Larsen ($1.9MM) could also be dropped from the roster, Jackson hears.

And, if the Dolphins really want to turn over a new leaf, they may decide against retaining unrestricted free agents like Frank Gore and Cameron Wake and move on from receiver Danny Amendola, whose entire $6MM cap hit can be washed out. Jackson adds that the future of veterans like guard Josh Sitton and safety T.J. McDonald is also in question.

Quinn, 29 in May, came to Miami via a spring trade with the Rams. The former first-round pick notched 6.5 sacks and 38 tackles, but graded out as just the No. 42 ranked edge defender in the NFL per Pro Football Focus. Branch, meanwhile, was one of the lowest-ranked DEs out of 108 qualified players.

He is 3 years younger than Irvin who will turn 32 later this year.

26 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

I'd pay him Derrick Shelby money but nothing more than that. 

Really? Don't see why he's worth less than 8mil a year (a good bit more really)

1 hour ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Really? Don't see why he's worth less than 8mil a year (a good bit more really)

Let someone else pay him that. He hasn't been any sort of force in a long time. 

hjerry likes this

I liked him a few years back but his career has stalled.

Think he’s damaged goods and for that reason I don’t want him.

If FA DE is where they want to go Dante Fowlers still my guy.

At this point in their careers, Irvin would be more effective for the money; plus Irvin already wants to be here

Age isn't everything

9 minutes ago, hjerry said:

At this point in their careers, Irvin would be more effective for the money; plus Irvin already wants to be here

Age isn't everything

Not hating on Irvin, and if we got him for a reasonable deal I'd be all for it, but what in the world is he better at than Quinn? Serious question.

Robert Quinn missed a total of 15 games between the 2015 season and 2016 season. 2017 season the Rams went to a 3-4 defense under Wade Phillips and played him at OLB hence his trade to the Dolphins. 

Dolphins offense was awful and the defense stayed on the field in most games.

I still think he can produce at a high level.

6 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Not hating on Irvin, and if we got him for a reasonable deal I'd be all for it, but what in the world is he better at than Quinn? Serious question.

for the money

Quinn will be considerably more expensive 

21 minutes ago, hjerry said:

for the money

Quinn will be considerably more expensive 

If that's true, then sure. If he's "considerably" more expensive (ie: Irvin gets 5mil a year and he gets 12mil a year). Otherwise, I feel like he's similar to Irvin but better.

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 9:33 PM, ATLFalcons11 said:

Tbh I saw Cameron Wake...

• The Miami Herald's Barry Jackson reports the Dolphins "assuredly will" release DE Robert Quinn.

Jackson believes Miami will also "likely" do the same with fellow DE Andre Branch. Releasing Quinn, who was acquired from the Rams this time last year, will save the Dolphins over $12.9 million against the cap, while Branch's release would free up another $7 million. The moves make sense financially but would leave Miami with precious little depth off the edge. Cameron Wake could also be shipped out as a veteran on a surefire tanking club. Quinn, 29 in May, had 6.5 sacks as a 16-game starter last season.

Related:
    Source: Miami Herald
    ‎Feb‎ ‎25‎, ‎2019‎ ‎9‎:‎36‎ ‎PM

atlbaby likes this

On 2/22/2019 at 4:48 PM, hjerry said:

Age isn't everything

Quinn had 15 QB hits (6.5 sacks) last season in Miami.

Irvin had 13 hits (6.5 sacks), so Quinn was a slightly better pass rusher and is 3.5 years younger.

Compare that with Jarrett - 16 hits (6 sacks) - and McKinley - 15 hits (7 sacks) - and Quinn would've been right on par with them as our "best" pass rusher.

Assuming they both want the same money in free agency, going with Quinn seems to be a no-brainer.  However, I'd have to imagine that Quinn will be asking for more money than Irvin.

---

Since age doesn't matter, then I hope we take a look at Cam Wake - 17 hits (6 sacks) - or Chris Long - 20 hits (6.5 sacks) - to be a veteran mentor for our young guys, like Freeney was.