170 posts in this topic

46 minutes ago, D.B.N. said:

I remember trading up hoping we were taking Rhodes.  We ended up with Trufant. Troffed 

Rhodes was awful last year, like Alford bad. 

To put it into context, supposedly 'elite' cornerbacks across the league routinely got toasted in 2018.

Jalen Ramsey, Xavier Rhodes, AJ Bouye, Marshon Lattimore, Marcus Peters and Aquib Talib all had down years. 

CB's are being challenged more than ever.

On 2/22/2019 at 5:54 PM, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Yeah it.was an awful contract. He had a season ending injury and received much more than Alford. Our.defense improved the minute he went out. I wanted us to trade him after the 2016 season. Would love to know what you consider a bad contract then, because this was a horrible one.

It wasnt though...

On 2/25/2019 at 10:06 AM, vafalconfan said:

We must be watching different games.. since being drafted he was hyped as a "shut down corner".. He has never been a shut down corner!

1) "shut down corners" dont exist

2) To the extent they DO exist, Trufant has been that sort of guy for the majority of his career

3) He wasnt hyped as a "shut down corner" ever....if he was, he would have been drafted in the Top 10. 

I get being frustrated with his play since the extension. Its never fun to have a dude's performance dip after you give him an extension at market rate. But thems the breaks sometimes. That doesnt mean past decisions were wrong. I mean unless Miss Cleo is your GM. 

2 hours ago, Smiler11 said:

To put it into context, supposedly 'elite' cornerbacks across the league routinely got toasted in 2018.

Jalen Ramsey, Xavier Rhodes, AJ Bouye, Marshon Lattimore, Marcus Peters and Aquib Talib all had down years. 

CB's are being challenged more than ever.

I dont know if all these guys were getting toasted routinely but a lot of them had regression years for sure. 

I dont know why its so hard for people to understand that performance varies from year to year, sometimes more than you'd like. 

It is what it is. Either he plays better this year and justifies his cap hit or he doesnt and he gets released next offseason.

2 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

2) To the extent they DO exist, Trufant has been that sort of guy for the majority of his career

3) He wasnt hyped as a "shut down corner" ever....if he was, he would have been drafted in the Top 10. 

I get being frustrated with his play since the extension. Its never fun to have a dude's performance dip after you give him an extension at market rate. But thems the breaks sometimes. That doesnt mean past decisions were wrong. I mean unless Miss Cleo is your GM. 

Tru having the kind of cap hit he's going to have in 2019 is rough, but anybody acting like they knew he'd decline since coming back is ridiculous. I hate how people here act like they know everything in hindsight. Very few complained about Tru's contract when it was signed. HeIl most were excited for his return in addition to the growth the defense showed on the SB run. Acting differently now is ignorant. 

16 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

I dont know if all these guys were getting toasted routinely but a lot of them had regression years for sure. 

I dont know why its so hard for people to understand that performance varies from year to year, sometimes more than you'd like. 

It is what it is. Either he plays better this year and justifies his cap hit or he doesnt and he gets released next offseason.

Yep

23 hours ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Early on teams were not throwing at him because (1) he looked the part and (2) Alford was chasing butterflies. That has changed..

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/atlanta-falcons-desmond-trufant-shutdown-corner-richard-sherman-dan-quinn-102915

30 minutes ago, vafalconfan said:

Early on teams were not throwing at him because (1) he looked the part and (2) Alford was chasing butterflies. That has changed..

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/atlanta-falcons-desmond-trufant-shutdown-corner-richard-sherman-dan-quinn-102915

Naw, he may not have been intercepting the ball, but he was truly shut down. His PDs were high when he was targeted and the lack of separation was always apparent. It's not ironic that once Manuel took over, Tru started struggling. This is an aggressive defense. Tru needs to play aggressive like he was in 2015, when it was more jamming at the line and challenging at the tops of routes instead of playing for fear of giving up a big play. 

Vandy and NeonDeion like this

On 2/27/2019 at 8:29 AM, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Wow. Thems the breaks sometimes huh? 

4 hours ago, Hurry_Up_And_Buy said:

Wow. Thems the breaks sometimes huh? 

Correct. 

Few forces are as harmful as hindsight bias. Sadly, few forces are as prevalent as hindsight bias. 

While Trufant has been disappointing, he is only a small part of the problem. We couldn’t stop the run so teams stayed ahead of schedule. We couldn’t limit the underneath stuff with Deion out so our pressure didn’t have time to get home.

If we start winning more on 1st and 2nd down, we will force teams into tougher 3rd downs and it will benefit everyone.

NeonDeion and Vandy like this

On 2/27/2019 at 11:29 AM, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Sometimes I feel like you are secretly Thomas Dimitroff undercover on these boards, and it would make sense....

7 hours ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Correct. 

Few forces are as harmful as hindsight bias. Sadly, few forces are as prevalent as hindsight bias. 

I have no clue what that even means honestly...

Flying Falcon likes this

On 2/28/2019 at 0:02 PM, vel said:

Naw, he may not have been intercepting the ball, but he was truly shut down. His PDs were high when he was targeted and the lack of separation was always apparent. It's not ironic that once Manuel took over, Tru started struggling. This is an aggressive defense. Tru needs to play aggressive like he was in 2015, when it was more jamming at the line and challenging at the tops of routes instead of playing for fear of giving up a big play. 

I will give you this.. DQ taking over the defense will undoubtedly light a fire under Trufant and Beasley as well. I think the entire defense will be elevated with Quinn taking charge..

14 hours ago, mqg96 said:

Sometimes I feel like you are secretly Thomas Dimitroff undercover on these boards, and it would make sense....

I can assure you, I am not. Although I'd certainly be willing to join the team should the FO/Mr. Blank be interested....

I'm just not here to engage in the sorts of "working backwards" revisionism many on the board roll with. That aint me. 

I knew this was gonna happen just by looking at the books this offseason. Horrifying terrifyingly bad when you're paying such a premium amount to nonprimero players. And this organization DOES IT REGULARLY. Dimitrioff should have been released/demoted a couple years ago.

Flying Falcon likes this

34 minutes ago, Hurry_Up_And_Buy said:

I knew this was gonna happen just by looking at the books this offseason. Horrifying terrifyingly bad when you're paying such a premium amount to nonprimero players. And this organization DOES IT REGULARLY. Dimitrioff should have been released/demoted a couple years ago.

Not Dimitroff's fault. This is all Quinn.