170 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, slick0ne said:

4 sho man, nail on the head...Tru is a darn good player, no doubt about his abilities. I just don't think his mentality fits Quinn's scheme. This scheme works best when you have physicality at the corner position.

Helluva play by Jakson, would have been a TD if he would have gave up after the juke.

All facts. Someone with a little more size helps in the redzone too. Oliver missed that play vs AJ by not getting to the right depth. No doubt he has the length to make a play on the ball. 

That was the great part about it. Getting juked like that angered him and took off because of it. 

3 hours ago, rings639 said:

Which is exactly my point.  Sacks don’t define whether a DL is good or bad, just like INTs don’t for a CB, just like Julio wasn’t the worst WR through eight weeks because he had zero touchdowns.  

I guess to very casual fans that may be the case, since the data is easier to get and it’s what they talk about on Sports Center.  It’s a piece of the pie, sure, but people make it out to be the end all be all.  

There is someone on the falcons Facebook page arguing we shouldn’t bring back Grady because he only had six sacks last year and isn’t worth the money.  This is my point of just looking at one stat, it means nothing.

Not to mention 6 sacks for a dt is 10-12 for a DE. Lol. Lol are so dumb. Have to ask why do sports networks adults the sack and pick more than TFL(same net effect) or forced fumble(u less from.d.e.?) F F usually end with the team having better field position after the turnover. An d who could name the guy who led NFL in passes defensed? Or TFLs. Sports media is just as bad as the media. It's sad we have to go to YouTube to get actual news

Hurry_Up_And_Buy and Rings like this

22 hours ago, KCartledge85 said:

If the guy could catch ...... AT ALL ...... He would have had a solid year in 2019. Every corner gets toasted from time to time. You never see Tru have games where he is continually targeted and picked on.

That said, my man straight up cannot catch and corners that create turnovers are the ones that get paid.

A few picks doesn't make.up for.him playing flag in the run game. Give us a balanced cb in 2020.

2 hours ago, 2_legit_2_legit_2_quit said:

There were definitely games where Trufant got picked on and was constantly getting burnt in 2019.

And he flat out ran the other way like a b***h when RBs were coming at him.

Bears targeted him with glennon lead blocking week one 2017. And it was very successful.

7 hours ago, since68andcounting said:

Yeah I think we cut the wrong corner. The guy can't catch a cold, and absolutely will not tackle.

We couldnt cut or trade tru. Much more dead cap than cap savings. If it came down to the two with equal cap savings Try would be gone. They are just running out of ways to hide hisweakness.

22 hours ago, KCartledge85 said:

If the guy could catch ...... AT ALL ...... He would have had a solid year in 2019. Every corner gets toasted from time to time. You never see Tru have games where he is continually targeted and picked on.

That said, my man straight up cannot catch and corners that create turnovers are the ones that get paid.

Well he's the anomaly that proves it was a  bad contract

2 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Wish he wouldn’t get picked on at the end of half for 40 yard plays

By WHO? I mean c'mon m an. How do you not keep that in front of you with a 20 he cushion, and a one trick pony wr. Well how do you get totally taken out of a toss play by a savage Glennon shadow block. Those two possessions 60 yards 1td. Later he decided to meet Cohen flatfooted  at the 3, instead of running to meet him around the 6. He got embarassedly trucker into the endzone. I knew that shoulder changed him at that point.

good luck i n Air in 2020. I just hope he gets lucky and 8 passes get lodged in his facemask and he has trade value after An 8pick year.

Edited by ATLSlobberKnockers

2 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

By WHO? I mean c'mon man

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember him getting burned in the final minute of the 1st half several times this year for huge gainers.  Led to points each time.  Am I imagining this?

Flying Falcon likes this

5 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember him getting burned in the final minute of the 1st half several times this year for huge gainers.  Led to points each time.  Am I imagining this?

I remember final play vs miami.

3 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

I remember final play vs miami.

There were several.  I think the Saints and at least one other

But he improved quite a bit the final 10 games. He jumped like 45 spots in corner rankings. 

Flying Falcon and Stryka like this

37 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Not to mention 6 sacks for a dt is 10-12 for a DE. Lol. Lol are so dumb. Have to ask why do sports networks adults the sack and pick more than TFL(same net effect) or forced fumble(u less from.d.e.?) F F usually end with the team having better field position after the turnover. An d who could name the guy who led NFL in passes defensed? Or TFLs. Sports media is just as bad as the media. It's sad we have to go to YouTube to get actual news

I know PFF isn’t perfect, but it is a lot closer to the eye test more often than not than normal stats will tell.  I also appreciate their advanced stats, even though I don’t pay the $200 for elite, I do have edge.  I just appreciate the way they analyze players a lot more than say ESPN or NFL Network.

This such a strange thread...I remember when we drafted tru the consensus was he didn't get picks but was a above average and possible lock down good coverage corner

Stryka and Drew4719 like this

8 minutes ago, anewton said:

This such a strange thread...I remember when we drafted tru the consensus was he didn't get picks but was a above average and possible lock down good coverage corner

What a difference large sums of money, an injury,  and years make, huh?

Stryka and anewton like this

2 hours ago, vafalconfan said:

We must be watching different games.. since being drafted he was hyped as a "shut down corner".. He has never been a shut down corner!

Actually he was... People ave such short memories...

In 2015 teams literally avoided Trufant. He was widely considered a top 5 corner in the league.

Is Trufant the Best Corner in the NFL?

Every fan knows the big-name cornerbacks like Patrick Peterson, Richard Sherman, and Josh Norman. If 2016 is anything like his first three seasons in the NFL, it's only a matter of time until Falcons cornerback Desmond Trufant is mentioned among this group. 

Since being drafted with 22nd overall pick in the 2013 draft, Trufant has continued to look like one of the league's shutdown corners. He has started every game since being drafted, holding opponents' completion percentage below 60 percent each year. Trufant was rewarded for his stellar play by being selected to his first Pro Bowl last season. 

Standing 6 foot, Trufant has the build of an elite corner in today's NFL. This size allows him to be one of the better cornerback run defenders in the league by effectively shedding wide receivers and getting to the outside. Despite Trufant's size, he has the ability to shadow other team's No. 1 receivers. 

Trufant's speed and size has drawn attention from some of the league's best quarterbacks. Drew Brees plays against Trufant twice a year and has been impressed by the young corner:

"I think he's an extremely good player," Brees said. "I think he is as quick and athletic and fast as any corner in the NFL. And you see him play with good body position. You see him decipher things. I've just kind of watched him grow from his rookie year until now. And when you take a guy who has the skill set and then all of a sudden he begins to gain the experience, that's when a guy can become dangerous."

Brees isn't the only one taking notice of the fourth-year corner. Because teams respected Trufant so much last season, they only threw in his direction 56 times out of a possible 979 snaps. This was good enough to make Trufant the least targeted corner in the league last year.

If there's a knock on Trufant, it's that he hasn't created as many turnovers as other top corners. He only has six interceptions through his first three seasons. That being said, he is rarely targeted and the Falcons have an awful pass rush. In fact, the Falcons were last in rushing the passer in 2015. 

All signs point to Trufant building upon his early success and cementing himself as one of the best corners in the NFL. He has already been more successful than the two cornerbacks cornerbacks selected before him in the 2013 draft, Dee Milliner and D.J. Hayden. If the Falcons defense can improve as a whole, Trufant should get the spotlight he rightly deserves. 

https://www.12up.com/posts/3429023-is-trufant-the-best-corner-in-the-nfl

FalconsIn2012, Stryka, Rings and 1 other like this

4 hours ago, Smiler11 said:

In 2015 teams literally avoided Trufant. He was widely considered a top 5 corner in the league.

Every fan knows the big-name cornerbacks like Patrick Peterson, Richard Sherman, and Josh Norman. If 2016 is anything like his first three seasons in the NFL, it's only a matter of time until Falcons cornerback Desmond Trufant is mentioned among this group. 

Since being drafted with 22nd overall pick in the 2013 draft, Trufant has continued to look like one of the league's shutdown corners. He has started every game since being drafted, holding opponents' completion percentage below 60 percent each year. Trufant was rewarded for his stellar play by being selected to his first Pro Bowl last season. 

Standing 6 foot, Trufant has the build of an elite corner in today's NFL. This size allows him to be one of the better cornerback run defenders in the league by effectively shedding wide receivers and getting to the outside. Despite Trufant's size, he has the ability to shadow other team's No. 1 receivers. 

Trufant's speed and size has drawn attention from some of the league's best quarterbacks. Drew Brees plays against Trufant twice a year and has been impressed by the young corner:

"I think he's an extremely good player," Brees said. "I think he is as quick and athletic and fast as any corner in the NFL. And you see him play with good body position. You see him decipher things. I've just kind of watched him grow from his rookie year until now. And when you take a guy who has the skill set and then all of a sudden he begins to gain the experience, that's when a guy can become dangerous."

Brees isn't the only one taking notice of the fourth-year corner. Because teams respected Trufant so much last season, they only threw in his direction 56 times out of a possible 979 snaps. This was good enough to make Trufant the least targeted corner in the league last year.

If there's a knock on Trufant, it's that he hasn't created as many turnovers as other top corners. He only has six interceptions through his first three seasons. That being said, he is rarely targeted and the Falcons have an awful pass rush. In fact, the Falcons were last in rushing the passer in 2015. 

All signs point to Trufant building upon his early success and cementing himself as one of the best corners in the NFL. He has already been more successful than the two cornerbacks cornerbacks selected before him in the 2013 draft, Dee Milliner and D.J. Hayden. If the Falcons defense can improve as a whole, Trufant should get the spotlight he rightly deserves. 

So if we can compare him to his draft class at their respective current productivity what would we discover? Was Trufant really the best corner of that 2013 draft class??? Or was it Xavier Rhodes. Because in hindsight that's who we should have been targeting. 

31 minutes ago, Hurry_Up_And_Buy said:

So if we can compare him to his draft class at their respective current productivity what would we discover? Was Trufant really the best corner of that 2013 draft class??? Or was it Xavier Rhodes. Because in hindsight that's who we should have been targeting. 

Rhodes is coming off a worse season than Trufant (pff rated him almost as bad as Alford) and is due $14m next year. Arguably Darius Slay has been the best corner from that class, although he is due $16m this year.

Rings, Drew4719 and Stryka like this

7 hours ago, Smiler11 said:

yeah they avoided forcing the ball to an unknown, and opted to force to the other guy that was a notorious grabber. If we had an average vet paired with trufan t they would have picked on him. With his skill set you have to have the ability to catch the ball when you jump the route. 

Trufant and Beasley are.similarly frustrating players. They both have an elite skill that they can't parlay. Beasley elite speed off edge. Trufant is elite coverage guy with speed to bait throws. can't parlay that skill to game changing its and pick 6s. Tiffany is abysmal in run defen se.

both players wou!d be great in obvious pass ing situtions.( 3rd and long).  Beasley would get sacks and f2f if he could pin his ears back. Trufant would bat balls and get the obligatory one of two picks out of six.

21 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

yeah they avoided forcing the ball to an unknown, and opted to force to the other guy that was a notorious grabber. If we had an average vet paired with trufan t they would have picked on him. With his skill set you have to have the ability to catch the ball when you jump the route. 

Trufant and Beasley are.similarly frustrating players. They both have an elite skill that they can't parlay. Beasley elite speed off edge. Trufant is elite coverage guy with speed to bait throws. can't parlay that skill to game changing its and pick 6s. Tiffany is abysmal in run defen se.

both players wou!d be great in obvious pass ing situtions.( 3rd and long).  Beasley would get sacks and f2f if he could pin his ears back. Trufant would bat balls and get the obligatory one of two picks out of six.

What I remember is when Trufant was finally tested he caved. He's been a target ever since.

23 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

What I remember is when Trufant was finally tested he caved. He's been a target ever since.

Bro you have to stop this propaganda. Trufant has never caved in. He as well as most of the defense looked bad in 2018. In 2017 where people think Alford was our best CB....Trufant was 10 points higher in his PFF grade. He was wayyy above average. People need to watch games and watch all the plays. Not just the flash plays. Trufant at worse is a solid starting CB in this league. At best he is probowl and top 10 CB. 

Drew4719 likes this

10 hours ago, Stryka said:

Bro you have to stop this propaganda. Trufant has never caved in. He as well as most of the defense looked bad in 2018. In 2017 where people think Alford was our best CB....Trufant was 10 points higher in his PFF grade. He was wayyy above average. People need to watch games and watch all the plays. Not just the flash plays. Trufant at worse is a solid starting CB in this league. At best he is probowl and top 10 CB. 

Bro you need to go back and watch some more tape. I watch plenty. Tru had a couple good years then got discovered and started getting lit up. His PFF scores should reflect that. He can't press, gets beat often, can't take the ball away, is grossly overpaid and uncuttable right now.

Dimi traded a 1st, 3rd and 6th to move up for Tru. After trying to lowball Grimes and getting caught up in an injury tag. Grimes went on to ball out for MIA and TB. Way more than Tru, who's been average. Then he gave Tru a six year deal at $13.8M per with no out until 2020. Troffed.

Hurry_Up_And_Buy likes this

On 2/24/2019 at 4:45 PM, Stryka said:

2017 he was a top 10-15 corner. Rated better than Alford who had his best season that year. 

2017 he  was  not top 15. Dont care about stats without context. Game one he gets blocked by Glennon for a 60 yr Cohen run. He had to run him down after deciding not to attack the runner before the.line.of.scrimmage. 3rd.and Goa l Howard runs outside to the pylon and Trufan t was blocked out of the end zone by Glennon. 3rd qtr Cohen is running open field towar d the goal line with only trufan t in front. Instead of running to meet him between the 5 and 10 yardline, he stays flatfooted at the 3 and gets trucked into endzone.

It was a weekly post about how bad Trufan t was all of 2017. He had a good game at greenbay. 

whoever rated him over Alford in 2017 is just wrong. He stepped on Alfords feet robbing him of a game sealing int by holding. The next play he.committed p.i In the endzone. Trufan t was awful in 2017. Oh and Alford played 99.5% of defensive snaps to trus 80 some thing, while playing 35% st plays. He played 90 more total snaps in 17, than second place Neal. He also played more snaps than anyone in 2016.

Just wrong to say he did anything better than Alford in.2017

8 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

When they did target Trufant in those first 3 years, QB's had less than a 60% completion percentage (well below league average). There was a reason QB's were avoiding him.

I'm just trying to provide context for why he got the contract he got and by any measure, Trufant was elite in 2015. For whatever reason he's hasn't been that guy since. I don't know if it is down to injuries, lack of pass rush, regression - potentially a combination of all three. I'd love to see get him back to that level this year, if he doesn't I suspect this may be his last year as Falcon.

Drew4719 and anewton like this