170 posts in this topic

If the guy could catch ...... AT ALL ...... He would have had a solid year in 2019. Every corner gets toasted from time to time. You never see Tru have games where he is continually targeted and picked on.

That said, my man straight up cannot catch and corners that create turnovers are the ones that get paid.

2 hours ago, Hurry_Up_And_Buy said:

Pierre Desir. Free agent corner from the Colts. Cheaper plus equal if not greater production. That's a dumb question. Is at least 20 corners in the league right now that would provide better production than Trufant.

Yeah he's so good he got a one year deal with the Colts last year. Moron.

Stryka and Rings like this

12 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

He can be cut next year and gives us 5 mill in CAP relief if I remember right

yes but hes stealing 14 from us this year Then your looking at replacing him for 5 mil dollars next year? He isnt the man but it would be hard to find a replacement for 5 mil. Honestly Id rathar have a heavy hitting sure and willing tacklet with below average coverage skills but is sure handed when the ball hits his glove. Seems like that was pretty much what Collins brought minus the heavy hitting.

Hurry_Up_And_Buy likes this

10 hours ago, rings639 said:

I’m so confused why so many people talk about his hands, like that’s the deciding factor if a corner is good or not.

Well sacks are the biggest stat with DL even though TFL is just as big of a play.

11 hours ago, KCartledge85 said:

If the guy could catch ...... AT ALL ...... He would have had a solid year in 2019. Every corner gets toasted from time to time. You never see Tru have games where he is continually targeted and picked on.

That said, my man straight up cannot catch and corners that create turnovers are the ones that get paid.

Except for in the run game. Ive seen enough soft play from him

FalconsIn2012 likes this

19 hours ago, Yo_Lover said:

So you didn't wanna resign Trufant when he was a top 5 corner? What would you plan have been then?

At the time the play should have been to roll with Collins, since the defense plaid better with him. Trade Trufant at near peak of his value and use that pick to get a fast and physical corner.

What you don't do is give "market value"(Julio Jones money)  5 yr contracts to injured corners needing surgery. he got a market value for a top 5 corner, which he never was. He was a top 5 up and comer. He just went down and never arrived. You have to have game changing plays(ints) to get money like that. Bad contract. It seems like the F.O. never used the "he had a season ending injury that will require surgery" leverage AT ALL. He should have seen something VERY CLOSE to Alford's money. Alford had just finished playing the most total snaps on the team, was healthy, and outshined Trufant after his injury. It;s a good thing Alford was signed during the season or we wold have overpaid him as well.

Personally I was one of the conductors of the Trade Trufant Train. 

Idea? Gamble on Vedheer with a 3 yr contract. IDC anyone offering more than a 1-yr deal. If he returns to  form and stops getting killed by injuries he will replace Trufant as a more balanced player, only using the 5 mil cap savings we will receive after releasing Trufant next year. If the gamble doesn't pay off we aren't out a ton of money, and we draft a cb 1st-2nd rnd 2020.

It's really pointless to argue over whether we overpaid at the time. Where we are now is we have a one-trick poney making 14 mil. He's Vic Beasley: good at one thing, but horrible at others which limits what you can do with him on the field. Shouldn't give Vic 12+, and we need to divorce Trufant a.s.a.p  If dude steps up and isnt an incredible liability against the run then I'm neutral. I can look past the i.n.ts. 

People guage defensive players by sacks and i.n.t.s without mentioning T.F.L.s or P.D.

Everyone talks about restructuring RS, which I agree with but has ANYONE suggested restructuring Trufant?

13 hours ago, Hurry_Up_And_Buy said:

Pierre Desir. Free agent corner from the Colts. Cheaper plus equal if not greater production. That's a dumb question. Is at least 20 corners in the league right now that would provide better production than Trufant.

We need to ideally try to find a replacement using the paltry 5m cap savings from cutting Trufant after the season. I'm not sure where Desir is but he is coming off a good year. Verret is another guy I'd consider. He would be a bigger gamble but would be a small cap hit if he pays off.

Rashaan Melvin is another intriguing gamble. Coming off a bad season, but had a good 2017. Upside is he isn't a liability in the run game, Downside he isnt as talented in coverage. Upside would cost a fraction of Trufant. I agree this one may be a reach out of desperation to ship Tru 

Edited by ATLSlobberKnockers

13 hours ago, Hurry_Up_And_Buy said:

We need to ideally try to find a replacement using the paltry 5m cap savings from cutting Trufant after the season. I'm not sure where Desir is but he is coming off a good year. Verett is another guy I'd consider. He would be a bigger gamble but would be a small cap hit if he pays off.

Edited by ATLSlobberKnockers

On 2/22/2019 at 0:16 AM, Hurry_Up_And_Buy said:

https://247sports.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/LongFormArticle/Atlanta-Falcons-2019-salary-cap-hits-128841714/#128841714_1

I'm trying to imbed the article guys sorry. But woooooooow... Look at this! Desmond Trufant?? 13.9 million??? Wtf.. DESMOND KING IS BETTER THAN DESMOND TRUFANT!!! I would rather pay a rookie quarterback at this point. Look at this breakdown. Whoa my God. No wonder we are almost sorta kinda good. Jesus. Demote Dimitrioff several times for this. That is a terrible contract dude. ROBERT ALFORD PLAYED BETTER FOR HALF THE PRICE. Jesus ef. Man. NOW WE CAN BARELY AFFORD A GUY LIKE GRADY JARRETT?? At this point we may as well hire Matt Groening at this point. PLS Mr. Blank. Save yourself some money. Look at your salary cap and do the right thing... Find a way OUT of Trufant's deal. {praying hands emoji}

Yeah I think we cut the wrong corner. The guy can't catch a cold, and absolutely will not tackle.

7 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Well sacks are the biggest stat with DL even though TFL is just as big of a play.

Which is exactly my point.  Sacks don’t define whether a DL is good or bad, just like INTs don’t for a CB, just like Julio wasn’t the worst WR through eight weeks because he had zero touchdowns.  

I guess to very casual fans that may be the case, since the data is easier to get and it’s what they talk about on Sports Center.  It’s a piece of the pie, sure, but people make it out to be the end all be all.  

There is someone on the falcons Facebook page arguing we shouldn’t bring back Grady because he only had six sacks last year and isn’t worth the money.  This is my point of just looking at one stat, it means nothing.

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

19 hours ago, KCartledge85 said:

There were definitely games where Trufant got picked on and was constantly getting burnt in 2019.

And he flat out ran the other way like a b***h when RBs were coming at him.

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

20 hours ago, KCartledge85 said:

Wish he wouldn’t get picked on at the end of half for 40 yard plays

5 hours ago, since68andcounting said:

Tampa two years ago. Mike Evans was ***** slapping him the entire 1st half until Trufant left hurt.

Cincy game this past season

13 minutes ago, slick0ne said:

Cincy game this past season

That was a bad game and he almost ended it with a pick. He did allow the #2 WR to covert 3rd down after 3rd down. Probably his worst game last year. All CBs elite or not have bad games. 

Guys still not looking at the total body of work. Everybody can point out a bad game or play. Trufant is still a good CB. 

slick0ne likes this

On 2/22/2019 at 1:58 PM, Dutty Ole Bird said:

Not really. GJ, Kz, And Jones had a good season. The highest paid player on defense blew chunks for 2 straight seasons and started playing good when it was too late.

2017 he was a top 10-15 corner. Rated better than Alford who had his best season that year. 

Drew4719 likes this

6 minutes ago, Stryka said:

That was a bad game and he almost ended it with a pick. He did allow the #2 WR to covert 3rd down after 3rd down. Probably his worst game last year. All CBs elite or not have bad games. 

Guys still not looking at the total body of work. Everybody can point out a bad game or play. Trufant is still a good CB. 

I understand all corners have bad games. I know he balled in the past and is usually sticky. I don't care about his contract situation...I just don't like him. I think he's soft...it is what it is.

Hurry_Up_And_Buy and Stryka like this

2 minutes ago, slick0ne said:

I understand all corners have bad games. I know he balled in the past and is usually sticky. I don't care about his contract situation...I just don't like him. I think he's soft...it is what it is.

I can respect that opinion. I dont like him for various reasons as well. He doesn't have that dog in him although he has been a good player for us. 

I want a physical Corner who can get his hands on the ball and chase down ball carriers. The kid D. Jackson from Carolina is impressive to me. He uses his speed in coverage but the way you see him pursuing ball carriers is what I love. He chased down Teco after being juked out his shoes and still forced a fumble. Give me another LSU or UF DB. Especially LSU....Jalen Collins was a real baller when his head wasnt in his a$$

slick0ne likes this

On 2/22/2019 at 0:16 AM, Hurry_Up_And_Buy said:

https://247sports.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/LongFormArticle/Atlanta-Falcons-2019-salary-cap-hits-128841714/#128841714_1

I'm trying to imbed the article guys sorry. But woooooooow... Look at this! Desmond Trufant?? 13.9 million??? Wtf.. DESMOND KING IS BETTER THAN DESMOND TRUFANT!!! I would rather pay a rookie quarterback at this point. Look at this breakdown. Whoa my God. No wonder we are almost sorta kinda good. Jesus. Demote Dimitrioff several times for this. That is a terrible contract dude. ROBERT ALFORD PLAYED BETTER FOR HALF THE PRICE. Jesus ef. Man. NOW WE CAN BARELY AFFORD A GUY LIKE GRADY JARRETT?? At this point we may as well hire Matt Groening at this point. PLS Mr. Blank. Save yourself some money. Look at your salary cap and do the right thing... Find a way OUT of Trufant's deal. {praying hands emoji}

Beasley is the name that sticks out like a sore thumb to me.

2 minutes ago, Stryka said:

I can respect that opinion. I dont like him for various reasons as well. He doesn't have that dog in him although he has been a good player for us. 

I want a physical Corner who can get his hands on the ball and chase down ball carriers. The kid D. Jackson from Carolina is impressive to me. He uses his speed in coverage but the way you see him pursuing ball carriers is what I love. He chased down Teco after being juked out his shoes and still forced a fumble. Give me another LSU or UF DB. Especially LSU....Jalen Collins was a real baller when his head wasnt in his a$$

4 sho man, nail on the head...Tru is a darn good player, no doubt about his abilities. I just don't think his mentality fits Quinn's scheme. This scheme works best when you have physicality at the corner position.

Helluva play by Jakson, would have been a TD if he would have gave up after the juke.

Stryka likes this