170 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Stryka said:

This is pure posturing.  The ENTIRE defense got blasted most of the year. Especially in that 5 game losing stretch.  I can find a game for every player where they looked like trash.  Thats how bad we were overall last year. Your analysis tells me you not really watching the game.  Now you say his PFF grades are because of his zone coverage.  Lol. Cmon man. 

Lets just accept the truth.  He is a good CB.  He had a down 2018 but finished strong.  He was injured in 2016 or we may win the Superbowl because our other CBs didnt have the quickness to stop quicker WRs for NE.

Not really. GJ, Kz, And Jones had a good season. The highest paid player on defense blew chunks for 2 straight seasons and started playing good when it was too late.

6 hours ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Seems like an awful lot of people in this thread struggle to understand how the market works, how contracts work, etc. 

Some of the usual suspects obviously have those struggles. 

But at least we get more ghastly nicknames...

Yeah it.was an awful contract. He had a season ending injury and received much more than Alford. Our.defense improved the minute he went out. I wanted us to trade him after the 2016 season. Would love to know what you consider a bad contract then, because this was a horrible one.

Hurry_Up_And_Buy likes this

1 hour ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Yeah it.was an awful contract. He had a season ending injury and received much more than Alford. Our.defense improved the minute he went out. I wanted us to trade him after the 2016 season. Would love to know what you consider a bad contract then, because this was a horrible one.

Our defense improved because Quinn took over play calling, not because Tru got hurt, and how was TD supppsed to know he would get hurt?  This was a great contract for how he was playing up until the point he was signed and what the going rate was.  We can all look back and criticize.  If we knew how he would play after 2016, he wouldn’t have gotten that.  But then again, if everyone knew how good Grady Jarrett was going to be, he wouldn’t have fallen until the fifth round.  Captain hindsight is an easy game to play.   

All the talk about his hands, I’m guessing most people think kazee is better than tru because of more ints, and Beasley was the best pass rusher in 2016 because he had the most sacks, and that Big Ben was the best qb last year because he had the most yards.  Stop looking at generic stats and watch players play.

Hurry_Up_And_Buy and Stryka like this

12 minutes ago, rings639 said:

Our defense improved because Quinn took over play calling, not because Tru got hurt, and how was TD supppsed to know he would get hurt?  This was a great contract for how he was playing up until the point he was signed and what the going rate was.  We can all look back and criticize.  If we knew how he would play after 2016, he wouldn’t have gotten that.  But then again, if everyone knew how good Grady Jarrett was going to be, he wouldn’t have fallen until the fifth round.  Captain hindsight is an easy game to play.   

All the talk about his hands, I’m guessing most people think kazee is better than tru because of more ints, and Beasley was the best pass rusher in 2016 because he had the most sacks, and that Big Ben was the best qb last year because he had the most yards.  Stop looking at generic stats and watch players play.

What? TD gave him the contract after the 2016 season. He was already going to have shoulder surgery. Also if Quinn taking over the minute trufant was injured is the reason the defense played so well why didn't he do that last year?

The.fact Is our defense was better without Trufant. You don't give an injured cb Julio Jones money. Absolutely horrible contract that has hamstrung us and there isn't any evidence to the contrary.

Trufant was having a down year before the Injury.

An

Edited by ATLSlobberKnockers
Flying Falcon likes this

7 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

TD gave him the contract after the 2016 aeaso. He was already going to have shoulder surgery. Also if Quinn taking over the minute trufant was injured is the reason the defense played so we'll why didn't he do that last year.

The.fact Is our defense was better without Trufant. You don't give an injured cb Julio Jones money. Absolutely horrible contract that is hamstringing us and there isn't any evidence to the contrary.

You’re right it was after the season.  Still had no clue he wouldnt return to form.  I’m not involved in front office decisions, I have no idea why he didn’t take over play calling sooner.  I do know the last three times Quinn has called a defense he has been in the Super Bowl, which is why I’m excited for this year, so it’s very logical to make the connection that him calling plays is more likely why we got better on defense than because one of our best players that year was hurt and a bunch of UDFAs had to step up.

5 minutes ago, rings639 said:

You’re right it was after the season.  Still had no clue he wouldnt return to form.  I’m not involved in front office decisions, I have no idea why he didn’t take over play calling sooner.  I do know the last three times Quinn has called a defense he has been in the Super Bowl, which is why I’m excited for this year, so it’s very logical to make the connection that him calling plays is more likely why we got better on defense than because one of our best players that year was hurt and a bunch of UDFAs had to step up.

Marrying the team for 3-4 season s to an injured cb, for more money than Julio Jones is a horrible contract. 

8 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Marrying the team for 3-4 season s to an injured cb, for more money than Julio Jones is a horrible contract. 

Good thing it wasn’t more than Julio’s.

Julio: 5 yr 71.2 w/ 35.5 guaranteed

Tru: 5 yr 68.8 w/ 20.8 guaranteed

Tru’s was also two years later with the salary cap being 22 mil more.  He has a larger cap hit this year because of how the deals were structured, that’s it.

Don’t be surprised if they restructure his contract with more of signing bonus and extension. This way you could reduce his cap hit and dead money...This way the Falcons can release in 2 years or so. 

On 2/22/2019 at 10:12 AM, 2_legit_2_legit_2_quit said:

For the past 2 seasons Trufant has been mediocre at best. He got his contract and then started avoiding contact at all costs. 

Deliberately avoiding tackles the way he did last season would've gotten him benched if I were his HC.

On 2/22/2019 at 11:33 AM, stizz said:

Love when he drops an easy pick and then gets up to celebrate though!

He's never done that. Quit making **** up.

Stryka likes this

21 hours ago, Da_Truth said:

Blame Dimitroff.  He's the one who vastly OVERPAID him.

So you didn't wanna resign Trufant when he was a top 5 corner? What would you plan have been then?

Stryka likes this

19 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

So you didn't wanna resign Trufant when he was a top 5 corner? What would you plan have been then?

Find a CB that would have fit Quinn's defense better.  Because it wasn't--and still not--Trufant.  Nothing big or physical about him.  AND he is avoiding tackling now it seems.  Must have an injury clause in his contract.

20 minutes ago, Da_Truth said:

Find a CB that would have fit Quinn's defense better.  Because it wasn't--and still not--Trufant.  Nothing big or physical about him.  AND he is avoiding tackling now it seems.  Must have an injury clause in his contract.

Like who? If you can't name a replacement then how can we replace him?

1 hour ago, Yo_Lover said:

He's never done that. Quit making **** up.

2017 he dropped an easy pick on the sideline at Seattle and got up and celebrated. Get out your feelings. Tape is available on the internet. 

Flying Falcon likes this

On 2/22/2019 at 10:31 AM, Stryka said:

1.  The contract was of market value for a Probowl CB who was 25 at the time. 

2. Trufant has never been graded lower than a 70 in PFF.  Thats baseline for above average/average.

3. 1 contract doesnt stop you from signing your other guys.  Its also part of the price you pay when you draft well in the same year or consecutive years.

4.  Alford was NEVER better than Trufant.  NEVER.  2017 was the closest and Alford had 20 PBUs because he was targeted, he just happen to make plays on the ball that year.  Last year he gave up 1000 yards receiving.

5. TD deserves to be fired for 1 guy who has seemed to plateau after being on the rise his first 3 years in the league. Ok.

I think CB is the hardest position in the league to play at a high level. The lack of pressure on the QB can expose any secondary and make any one CB look foolish from play to play. The best way to play corner is to play on the opposite side from a bad CB and hope the hype about you is such that the opposing team goes away from you. Without QB pressure, you can hang up any consistent coverage in today's NFL.

Stryka and Porkins like this

23 minutes ago, stizz said:

2017 he dropped an easy pick on the sideline at Seattle and got up and celebrated. Get out your feelings. Tape is available on the internet. 

Post it then dude

Stryka likes this

17 hours ago, rings639 said:

Quinn's failings seem to always have to do with the lack of ability to step in and correct poor decisions of his staff. He is a great people guy. A players coach and all that and as a coordinator he has proven his aggressiveness but as a head coach he has a way of blending into the background and going passive just as his assistants need some firm guidance. The HC has to make sure the ship stays on course. A little Bill Parcells mentality on game day would do him some good.......just a little though.

Rings likes this

4 hours ago, Yo_Lover said:

I have no idea who.  But apparently they were happy with his play, since they gave him a new contract. It's water under the bridge now.  I hope they have a better plan for his replacement--instead of settling for the status quo. 

On 2/22/2019 at 5:58 PM, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

If you think this is bad look at his cap hit for 2020, 2021. 15.1m, and 16.1m respectively. He's getting Julio money to be average at best.

He can be cut next year and gives us 5 mill in CAP relief if I remember right

6 hours ago, Yo_Lover said:

Pierre Desir. Free agent corner from the Colts. Cheaper plus equal if not greater production. That's a dumb question. Is at least 20 corners in the league right now that would provide better production than Trufant.

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

26 minutes ago, Hurry_Up_And_Buy said:

Pierre Desir. Free agent corner from the Colts. Cheaper plus equal if not greater production. That's a dumb question. Is at least 20 corners in the league right now that would provide better production than Trufant.

Might want to go back when we signed him and cherry pick replacements.