170 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, stizz said:

Love when he drops an easy pick and then gets up to celebrate though!

Thats really my only issue with Trufant.  HANDS!!  Between 2017 and 2018 he dropped 11 picks. That means he could have possibly led the league one year and been top 3 the next.  He just doesnt have hands.  If he did he would be the game changer we need at CB.  He is usually glue on WRs and the dropped picks only come because of great coverage 1st.  Lets acknowledge that.

Schwarzwald likes this

8 minutes ago, Stryka said:

You do realize thats by design?  Playing off is a scheme thing.  It kinda blurs the line between  man and zone and it doesnt allow QBs to read the D efficiently.  Trufant is a man corner and is best at man coverage.  Still easily our best cover guy and still one of the better starters in the league.  Ask Philly or Carolina if they want a good CB.  They get toasted.

Alford wasn't playing off by design, and the thing too is he gave acres of space and gave out cookies to the wr who caugh the ball without being roughed up in his soft as baby shoes zone.

LMAO @ one of the better starters. No he fkin isn't.

11 minutes ago, Stryka said:

Thats really my only issue with Trufant.  HANDS!!  Between 2017 and 2018 he dropped 11 picks. That means he could have possibly led the league one year and been top 3 the next.  He just doesnt have hands.  If he did he would be the game changer we need at CB.  He is usually glue on WRs and the dropped picks only come because of great coverage 1st.  Lets acknowledge that.

Is that really your only issue. I think he can cover, but my issue is his unwillingness to hit in the running game. Him standing there with his arms spread wide like he was trying to herd cats while runners run by him is my issue. 

At least with the drops he has broken up a positive play instead of being the closest spectator to a opposition positive play.

Hurry_Up_And_Buy and Osiruz like this

10 minutes ago, Dutty Ole Bird said:

Alford wasn't playing off by design, and the thing too is he gave acres of space and gave out cookies to the wr who caugh the ball without being roughed up in his soft as baby shoes zone.

LMAO @ one of the better starters. No he fkin isn't.

Alford was getting toasted ALL YEAR LONG.  Literally abused.  Looked like he didnt belong in the NFL.  

Trufant had a rough start but finished the year strong last year.  He is also a sure tackler.  Show me more than the random anomaly on that.  His pursuit leaves a lot to be desired but 9 times out of 10 when he makes contact, he take the ball carrier down.

He is bro.  Its not hearsay.  Facts speak for themselves.  Also again....if he catches half the picks he has dropped....none of you are even talking about Trufant. 

Schwarzwald likes this

1 minute ago, TheUsualStuff said:

Is that really your only issue. I think he can cover, but my issue is his unwillingness to hit in the running game. Him standing there with his arms spread wide like he was trying to herd cats while runners run by him is my issue. 

At least with the drops he has broken up a positive play instead of being the closest spectator to a opposition positive play.

I expect all my CBs to be strong in run support.  Trufant has done that.  Like I said earlier.  The pursuit isnt always there.  He is hesitant to stick his shoulder in a pile at times but dude is a good tackler.  There is a reason why TD and Quinn cut Alford and have not even mentioned Trufant.  He plays well most of the time.  Untimely drops and lack of pursuit are where he could improve. 

20 minutes ago, Stryka said:

Alford was getting toasted ALL YEAR LONG.  Literally abused.  Looked like he didnt belong in the NFL.  

Trufant had a rough start but finished the year strong last year.  He is also a sure tackler.  Show me more than the random anomaly on that.  His pursuit leaves a lot to be desired but 9 times out of 10 when he makes contact, he take the ball carrier down.

He is bro.  Its not hearsay.  Facts speak for themselves.  Also again....if he catches half the picks he has dropped....none of you are even talking about Trufant. 

Huh? are we even watching the same player here?

the same Trufart that ran away from Nick Chubb? The same Trufart who got trucked by Tarik Cohen? The same Trufart who got roughed up by a QB? The same Trufart who gets annihilated for first downs and gives up huge first downs before half time to Tedd Ginn Jr saints?

Yeah he has blown the last 2 seasons. He should be cut next year regardless of performance.

Malachore likes this

23 minutes ago, Stryka said:

But he didn't so here we are.

Flying Falcon likes this

5 minutes ago, Dutty Ole Bird said:

Huh? are we even watching the same player here?

the same Trufart that ran away from Nick Chubb? The same Trufart who got trucked by Tarik Cohen? The same Trufart who got roughed up by a QB? The same Trufart who gets annihilated for first downs and gives up huge first downs before half time to Tedd Ginn Jr saints?

Yeah he has blown the last 2 seasons. He should be cut next year regardless of performance.

I knew this would happen.  Trufant played 900 or so snaps last year.  You call out 3 plays.  Chubb ran for 93 yards on the Falcons...Trufant included but he was not alone.  Cohen broke 3 tackles on that play.  Trufant, and 2 of our best tacklers Campbell and then Debo got him at the end.

Lets forget the 900 other snaps where he is doing his job.  Forcing the QB to throw else where, like on the rookie LBs and the other CB who was complete trash.

Look at his PFF grades on a yearly basis.  I dont put a lot of stock in it but some do and I think it has its place in football.  The eye test(if you are not just a highlight guy, which you seem to be) shows the same story.  He is routinely tight in coverage, He breaks up a good bit of passes, he isnt very physical and he lacks pursuit but his agility and cognitive ability allow him to be a good CB in this league.

H

Rings, Geneaut, red falcon and 1 other like this

5 minutes ago, Malachore said:

But he didn't so here we are.

If he catches half of them he is a top 3 CB in this league the last 2 years and we are thankful for the contract but what happens is you guys dismiss all the good he does for the exception of a handful of bad plays yal see on highlights.  Actually watch some real ALL-22 film.  Watching games on TV...you only see the CBs on replays or plays to their side of the field.  You are missing like a half to 2/3s of what they are doing.

Rings likes this

Part of this is me being a CB pretty much all my life.  Its the most unforgiving position on defense.  You get no credit for just doing your job.  You get all the blame on big plays and you have to have rock solid confidence or you will get drowned out there on an island.  Trufant shakes off all the bad plays and keeps playing.  is he worth 13 a year?  If his hands were there...yes but in Quinn's scheme.  We want playmakers and he isnt a real turnover guy although he does have a handful of Fumble recoveries and scoop and score TDS.

1 minute ago, Stryka said:

If he catches half of them he is a top 3 CB in this league the last 2 years and we are thankful for the contract but what happens is you guys dismiss all the good he does for the exception of a handful of bad plays yal see on highlights.  Actually watch some real ALL-22 film.  Watching games on TV...you only see the CBs on replays or plays to their side of the field.  You are missing like a half to 2/3s of what they are doing.

You can't judge a player based on "ifs". I don't think he's as bad as some here say but he definitely isn't as good as you want him to be either.

The guy was constantly targeted when the opposing offense needed a 3rd down conversion because of his lack of physicality. 

Flying Falcon likes this

3 minutes ago, Stryka said:

I knew this would happen.  Trufant played 900 or so snaps last year.  You call out 3 plays.  Chubb ran for 93 yards on the Falcons...Trufant included but he was not alone.  Cohen broke 3 tackles on that play.  Trufant, and 2 of our best tacklers Campbell and then Debo got him at the end.

Lets forget the 900 other snaps where he is doing his job.  Forcing the QB to throw else where, like on the rookie LBs and the other CB who was complete trash.

Look at his PFF grades on a yearly basis.  I dont put a lot of stock in it but some do and I think it has its place in football.  The eye test(if you are not just a highlight guy, which you seem to be) shows the same story.  He is routinely tight in coverage, He breaks up a good bit of passes, he isnt very physical and he lacks pursuit but his agility and cognitive ability allow him to be a good CB in this league.

H

This isnt just 3 snaps. Got trucked by Cohen for a TD as well. Got his ace handed to him by Michael Thomas. You do realize his pff grades are due to him playing buttasoft zone and giving no tds over the top right? He blows on 3rd down. 

Just now, Malachore said:

You can't judge a player based on "ifs". I don't think he's as bad as some here say but he definitely isn't as good as you want him to be either.

The guy was constantly targeted when the opposing offense needed a 3rd down conversion because of his lack of physicality. 

No you sure cant.  So I dont.  I make it clear here that my stance on Desmond Trufant currently is that he is a good corner.  Top 15 to 20 but when he is on he is top 10 and has been fringe Top 5 before.

Trufant had bad stretches during 2018.  The entire defense did.  Not really gonna put 2018 on 1 mans shoulder.  Everybody was bad at points. Includiing Matt Ryan, C. Ridley and Kazee.

His physicality is good enough in the NFL.  We just want more.  Falcons fans think we should have the best at every position. Trufant is an above average CB.  PERIOD.

Just now, Stryka said:

No you sure cant.  So I dont.  I make it clear here that my stance on Desmond Trufant currently is that he is a good corner.  Top 15 to 20 but when he is on he is top 10 and has been fringe Top 5 before.

Trufant had bad stretches during 2018.  The entire defense did.  Not really gonna put 2018 on 1 mans shoulder.  Everybody was bad at points. Includiing Matt Ryan, C. Ridley and Kazee.

His physicality is good enough in the NFL.  We just want more.  Falcons fans think we should have the best at every position. Trufant is an above average CB.  PERIOD.

He's being paid to play above average, fans expect that of him. There's nothing wrong with fans expecting more from him, we are seeing a regression when he should be in his prime.

Flying Falcon likes this

2 minutes ago, Dutty Ole Bird said:

This isnt just 3 snaps. Got trucked by Cohen for a TD as well. Got his ace handed to him by Michael Thomas. You do realize his pff grades are due to him playing buttasoft zone and giving no tds over the top right? He blows on 3rd down. 

This is pure posturing.  The ENTIRE defense got blasted most of the year. Especially in that 5 game losing stretch.  I can find a game for every player where they looked like trash.  Thats how bad we were overall last year. Your analysis tells me you not really watching the game.  Now you say his PFF grades are because of his zone coverage.  Lol. Cmon man. 

Lets just accept the truth.  He is a good CB.  He had a down 2018 but finished strong.  He was injured in 2016 or we may win the Superbowl because our other CBs didnt have the quickness to stop quicker WRs for NE.

1 minute ago, Malachore said:

He's being paid to play above average, fans expect that of him. There's nothing wrong with fans expecting more from him, we are seeing a regression when he should be in his prime.

He didnt regress in 2017.  He gave a few bomb TDs but was an above average player overall.  He is playing above average.  Get 2018 out of your head. Everybody sucked on D at some point.  From 2013-2017 dude made a probowl and had 3 seasons graded above 80 in PFF with none below a 70.  I expect him to make more plays.  More turnovers.  Catch the **** ball and that happens.  Again.  Outside of the pursuit and hands.  He is a great CB.

We could tear down any CB in the league about his negative traits.

1 hour ago, Stryka said:

You do realize thats by design?  Playing off is a scheme thing.  It kinda blurs the line between  man and zone and it doesnt allow QBs to read the D efficiently.  Trufant is a man corner and is best at man coverage.  Still easily our best cover guy and still one of the better starters in the league.  Ask Philly or Carolina if they want a good CB.  They get toasted.

Philly actually brought in a decent amount of late round guys and undrafted secondary to compete pretty well for such a low-cost. And Carolina is on there way to actually picking up another starter who may have the potential to go all the way like Greedy or Byron? (Washington Huskies corner) Stop talkin out the side of your neck dude.

Osiruz and Flying Falcon like this

21 minutes ago, Stryka said:

He didnt regress in 2017.  He gave a few bomb TDs but was an above average player overall.  He is playing above average.  Get 2018 out of your head. Everybody sucked on D at some point.  From 2013-2017 dude made a probowl and had 3 seasons graded above 80 in PFF with none below a 70.  I expect him to make more plays.  More turnovers.  Catch the **** ball and that happens.  Again.  Outside of the pursuit and hands.  He is a great CB.

Everybody protecting this guy I wanna reference you for when the next season starts. You guy's are fans-in-disguise. Just admit that we've been overpaying a sub-average corner for the last three years pls!!

Flying Falcon likes this

23 minutes ago, Stryka said:

Everybody protecting this guy I wanna reference you for when the next season starts. You guy's are fans-in-disguise. Just admit that we've been overpaying a sub-average corner for the last three years pls!!

Edited by Hurry_Up_And_Buy

1 hour ago, TheUsualStuff said:

One question: For 13.5 million can you find a better starting corner than him? Maybe not this season but theoretically... Aren't there other guy's out there who play at a similar level but take up wayyyy less cap space?? 

Flying Falcon likes this

13 minutes ago, Hurry_Up_And_Buy said:

Im pretty sure everyone agrees he isn't playing above average right now and hasn't since his injury.  All we are doing is defending giving him the contract based on his play before the injury which was top 5 to 10 CB play he was fantastic for a good while there.   No GM can know how a player will react to a injury or a new contract sadly.  Trufant and Alford both were pretty bad last year but so was most people lol.  To earn his contract he needs to play like his before injury self if not then he dang sure isn't earning it. 

Hurry_Up_And_Buy likes this

1 hour ago, Stryka said:

I expect all my CBs to be strong in run support.  Trufant has done that.  Like I said earlier.  The pursuit isnt always there.  He is hesitant to stick his shoulder in a pile at times but dude is a good tackler.  There is a reason why TD and Quinn cut Alford and have not even mentioned Trufant.  He plays well most of the time.  Untimely drops and lack of pursuit are where he could improve. 

Nope... not buying the line he is strong in run support because I saw plays almost every game where extra yards were allowed to RB's because he wouldn't stick his shoulder in there on running plays.

I will say I have no issue with his pursuit... he loves to chase running backs instead of tackling them. His running alongside Chubb was textbook pursuit.. of course now he might not have made the tackle but had he tried he could have at least avoided that needless running on his part and possibly slowed him down enough where other pursuers could have made the tackle.

(Just FTR.. I am not saying we should cut Tru.. I get the cap implications and actually think he can still cover)

Edited by TheUsualStuff
Stryka, Osiruz and Hurry_Up_And_Buy like this