b3nz.

pre-combine mock offseason 2/21/19

2 posts in this topic

im not really too knowledgeable with cap numbers like some of you guys doing mocks, so im not gonna act like i am and put in salary #s or a lot of detail, this is just a quick idea of guys i like or things the team may end up doing. 

Resign/restructure:

Grady Jarrett

Bruce Irvin

Julio

Vic Beasley

Cut:

Ryan Schraeder (with Sambrailo getting his extension, come June 1st i think Schraeder gets the boot) 

Matt Bosher

Matt Schaub (wishful thinking i guess, i just think his money could be better spent elsewhere, probably end up bringing him back tho)

Free Agency:

Daryl Williams RT - with TD saying that its easier for Guards to make the transition to pros than Tackles, and with Sambrailo getting the type of deal he got, i think the Falcons are in the perfect spot to roll the dice on Daryl Williams health. Williams played at a high level before he got hurt and i think we can bring him in a on a short team friendly 'prove it' deal, if he returns to form they picked up a high level tackle, if his injury is hampering his play, we got Ty (for better or for worse)

i dont think we make too many moves in FA, after spending a lot of effort on bringing back Grady and reworking Julio, we'll probably only go after 1 starter caliber guy and a handful of back of the roster guys.

Draft:

after watching us clean house over the past few weeks, we actually have quite a few holes to fill and not a ton of money to do it with, this is why i think we inevitably trade down unless a blue chip guy like Ed Oliver or Rashan Gary fall to 14. i think we could get a 3rd and 5th to slide down a handful of picks, the obvious trade partner would be with Oakland i suppose. 

*1: Chris Lindstrom RG  Boston College- my favorite interior o-line prospect of this draft, he seems to have the blend of athleticism, size, strength, and technique that you would covet at the position. not a sexy pick, but a no brainer pick for a team desperate to upgrade the o-line. who knows man, all of the coaching staff and front office going on about improving the o-line could very well be a smokescreen to go all in for a CB in round 1, god i hope not.

2: Elgton Jenkins LG/C  Mississippi State- i know many think he wont be here at this pick and very well may not be, but i think he's the perfect pick for us in this round as he would slide in at LG and then eventually be the Alex Mack replacement once he retires or leaves. Jenkins is hella strong and intelligent and we should be looking to slide up a few spots to secure him in the 2nd round.

*3: Khalen Saunders DT Western Illinois - with the o-line wrapped up essentially, our next biggest hole on the team is defensive depth, especially on the d-line. letting Reed and Shelby and McClain all walk, we need bodies. Saunders has everything we need on the d-line, hes super athletic, very stout at the point of attack, and can play all over the line even at his size and weight. his stock has been rising and i dont think he will be there at our 3rd, so we use the 3rd we acquired in the fake trade to grab him. 

3: Austin Bryant DE Clemson - one area DQ has said we need to improve is in holding up on the line of scrimmage and stopping the run. on top of being a talented pass rusher, Bryant is huge and very underrated against the run. i honestly dont know why he isnt higher on many draft boards i see online but i think he could be a steal in a 3rd round.   

4: D'Andre Walker DE/OLB Georgia - in losing Brooks Reed, we're losing a key situational pass rusher. Walker is just that, a decent rotational rusher. He doesnt have the same run stopping prowess as Reed, but he's quicker (at least with the eye test) and more athletic. ive seen Walker all over the place when it comes to projected draft position so i honestly dont know if im way off base thinking he'll be here in the 4th. but CBSSports has him the 104th ranked prospect and we pick 110, close enough for me to put him here i guess. 

4c: Iman Marshall CB USC - moving on from Alford and Poole puts a lot of pressure on Oliver and Kazee to perform. i personally think they will do just fine, but we will still need to draft a CB or find a serviceable one in FA. Marshall has the size and skills that DQ likes at corner and he would be a special teams contributor right away while he earns snaps in Dime packages. although with a good combine showing, his stock may rise out of this range.

*5: Hunter Renfrow WR Clemson - i think we let Hardy walk this offseason and there were reports we were poking around mid-late round receivers at the senior bowl. some may think that Renfrow will go before this but i dont know, i dont think Renfrow will test that well at the combine and he doesnt have an impressive physique (teams are all the time overthinking guys based on what they look like when working out). but Hunter can flat out play and would be just the type of guy to replace Hardy. 

5: Lukas Denis S Boston College - the play of Kazee in Allens absence was awesome, but with him (or Allen) presumably filling the nickel spot full time, a position we dont have a lot of depth at has somehow become more shallow. Denis was a great college player but his stock seems to be low because of his size. the Falcons seem to have great luck finding safeties in the 5th round, here's to hoping they find another.   

5c: Tyree Jackson QB Buffalo - as stated above, i hope we dont pay Matt Schaub another couple mil just to hold a clipboard and screw things up every time Matt Ryan botches a slide and destroys his knee brace. Tyree is a huge QB with some interesting tools for the NFL, why not take a chance with a rookie as the backup. if we're in a situation where our backup has to play any large chunk of games, we'll be equally screwed with Schaub as we would with a rookie. and with 18 different head coaches on the roster, we dont need to overpay Schaub just because hes been around the block. 

6: Qadree Ollison RB Pittsburgh - unfortunately we probably dont have the cap space to bring back Tevin Coleman as he killed it last year and will probably get paid. i feel Ito Smith proved to be a capable #2 back and we dont need to invest high draft capital on another RB, but we do need to address the position either late in the draft or in FA. Ollison was very productive at Pitt and is an all around type of back. 

7: Mitch Wishnowsky P Utah - idk man, we cant afford to tie up money in Bosher who is just ok as a punter. using a draft pick on a punter seems whatever but TD and co have done it before with Bosher and it will be a need. oddly enough, as much as i wouldnt want to waste a pick on a punter, he probably wont even be here in the 7th. 

thats about it, idk how realistic any of it is but i gave it shot, tell me what you guys think.