Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Falcons Fan MVP

will the Falcons be able to fix all/most their issues this off season?

40 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, takeitdown said:

That's my formula as well.  I was hoping there was room for a FA DT as well, but am less sure of that now.

But you take 4 OL and DL between the FA and first 3 rounds of the draft and you have a good shot.  A much better shot if you're able to cover 2 in FA, and take another DL and OL in first 2 rounds (guys you can reasonably expect to contribute immediately).

Then you use your later rounds for RB, CB, LB.

They'd have to have a good draft, but it's very doable.

This draft kinda sucks, so I’m just a spectator for the off season. 

egoprime II likes this

5 hours ago, Knight of God said:

This draft kinda sucks, so I’m just a spectator for the off season. 

Yeah, you always hope it's good for what you need.  It just seems like OL are so hard to tell from college now.

I normally scout WR and TEs and RBs, but I don't even really care right now.  I want an offensive line and defensive line that are more help than hindrance and the rest can wait.  I'm tired of the other team playing on our side of the line of scrimmage on both sides.

We don't need  a hundred players, but we need 4 good ones on the lines.

But yeah, I'm not as dug in on this offseason...mostly because I can't really scout OL.

PokerSteve likes this

1 hour ago, takeitdown said:

Yeah, you always hope it's good for what you need.  It just seems like OL are so hard to tell from college now.

I normally scout WR and TEs and RBs, but I don't even really care right now.  I want an offensive line and defensive line that are more help than hindrance and the rest can wait.  I'm tired of the other team playing on our side of the line of scrimmage on both sides.

We don't need  a hundred players, but we need 4 good ones on the lines.

But yeah, I'm not as dug in on this offseason...mostly because I can't really scout OL.

Underwhelmed so far man. 

5 hours ago, Hurry_Up_And_Buy said:

Fusco sucked 7 games last year before getting hurt like we knew he would anyway. 

Fusco was signed as a slightly above average OG but a scheme fit.  That’s how he played through 7 games.  Were you expecting All Pro play by him?

NeonDeion likes this

1 hour ago, ZoneOne01 said:

Fully expecting them to fix the offensive line while the defensive line continues to be questionable. 

Wouldn't be surprised if they made a big FA signing for the DL.

PokerSteve likes this

5 hours ago, falconidae said:

Wouldn't be surprised if they made a big FA signing for the DL.

Agree. They have to get another veteran stud for the DL. Judging by where we were ranked in pass rushing last season, we don't have much choice but to make a signing above and beyond mediocre/rotational player.

And as Quinn continues gears up for free agency and the draft, it’s pretty clear what he’s looking for in 2019.
“Let’s make sure we get nastier,” Quinn said. “It might be big and nasty, it might be fast and nasty. Let’s make sure there’s no doubt.”

FIXED

the ONLY way this team is super bowl ready is if we'd tanked the last three games of the season and picked at around the 5th pick.  I know many of you guys hate this way of thinking, but it's true.  we could have either picked up an ELITE player on the defense OR traded back and picked up another 2'nd, maybe 3rd pick for teams desperate for a QB. 

because we lost alford and appear to have only enough money for ONE very good but probably not elite Free Agent (most likely, given the fact that our very good QB insisted on a very large contract while pretending he wants to win a championship--yes, the argument that he's taking up the same percentage of our FA money is a good one, but we still need extra money for FAs) ... there are just too many holes to fill. 

We need STARTING high quality players for the following positions: cornerback, two offensive and two defensive linemen, ... not to mention getting more quality back ups.

1) I don't doubt our first pick will be a good one given who is projected to be available at 14'th pick, but again we could have had an elite player

2) trading back, we could have 2 second and maybe 3rd rounders ... we need those extra players to fill in the holes noted above.  as it is we need ALL of our 1-3 round players to be quality starters which is asking a lot to say the least. 

At the beginning of last season, I remember arguing with friends that we were definitely going to the super bowl with all our talent.  I can live with the fact we had devastating injuries and that's a good excuse, but something "broke" in me about this team.  if anything, I think they will have less talent than a year ago (Beasley has been an incredible disappointment and I'm afraid we're going to lose Coleman who I really like and freeman will get injured inevitably)... again, just too many holes to fill without enough money. 

sometimes the battle is lost before it's been fought.  Please don't hate me or get snarky because I have an opinion.  much of my cynicism comes from having been so excited and hurt year after year with this team.  If I didn't care, I wouldn't be here.  AND I'm more than happy to be proven wrong next season!

23 minutes ago, ket222 said:

the ONLY way this team is super bowl ready is if we'd tanked the last three games of the season and picked at around the 5th pick...

What teams tanked last year? If it's such a good strategy, why doesn't every team having a bad year do it? Why can't find you find numerous  examples of tanking and of it working? Serious questions, that no one advocating tanking can answer.

It's also just not true. A good FA and good draft and the Falcons are poised for a deep playoff run. They're getting a draft worth of players back from injury, several youngsters got valuable experience, get a couple of good Olinemen and a couple of solid pieces on the DLine, this team can soar.

If the Falcons can not sign Grady. This will be a huge negative. Will TaKK play at all this year? Can the Falcon come up with more money for Julio? Will Freeman be able to get back on track? Will Neal be willing to lay it out there like he did in the past? Coleman is ready to get paid. Trufant looks used. Alford had more pass breakups and he got "let GO" ! ...... . How long will the Falcons allow Schaub to milk this cow? .............. Bottom line. NO !  Just NO!         :tiphat:

thank you for not being too tough on me as I know some people are very tough on those who said we should tank--of course, I meant to do it in the more subtle way of not having key players like julio in the lineup (for fear of injury during meaningless games) rather than blank telling the team to stop trying!

No, I can't provide examples of tanking teams succeeding, so you got me there.  

However, I really think you are underplaying how many holes the team has.  This is esp. true with what was to me the biggest surprise last season of not being able to depend upon trufant or alford as in years past.  basically, we have to assume 'youngsters' can step in and play at a level that we played in our superbowl year.  do you really have faith in alford's replacement?  

Also, we don't have a good pass rush from our DEs (esp Beastley), need another defensive lineman, need two VERY GOOD new offensive linemen, assume no more key injuries.,,,, do you see how many holes this is to fill with limited FA money?  

another key factor if we had picked at 5 in the draft would obviously be we'd pick at the beginning of each round rather than midway through.  LIke I said, our first pick will be very good, but we may want a very good OFF lineman (lindstrom? sp?) who is at the top of the second round and can't get him.  

trading back from the 5th pick would give us another second and third rounder in the early rounds for each.  we needed this for all the holes I've pointed out.  

1 hour ago, ket222 said:

thank you for not being too tough on me as I know some people are very tough on those who said we should tank--of course, I meant to do it in the more subtle way of not having key players like julio in the lineup (for fear of injury during meaningless games) rather than blank telling the team to stop trying!

No, I can't provide examples of tanking teams succeeding, so you got me there.  

However, I really think you are underplaying how many holes the team has.  This is esp. true with what was to me the biggest surprise last season of not being able to depend upon trufant or alford as in years past.  basically, we have to assume 'youngsters' can step in and play at a level that we played in our superbowl year.  do you really have faith in alford's replacement?  

Also, we don't have a good pass rush from our DEs (esp Beastley), need another defensive lineman, need two VERY GOOD new offensive linemen, assume no more key injuries.,,,, do you see how many holes this is to fill with limited FA money?  

another key factor if we had picked at 5 in the draft would obviously be we'd pick at the beginning of each round rather than midway through.  LIke I said, our first pick will be very good, but we may want a very good OFF lineman (lindstrom? sp?) who is at the top of the second round and can't get him.  

trading back from the 5th pick would give us another second and third rounder in the early rounds for each.  we needed this for all the holes I've pointed out.  

The reason you can't find a team that tanks is because it just doesn't work in the NFL. In the NBA, one superstar can transform the team, just not so in the NFL. There's also an incredibly high bust rate even early in the first round.  If it was a viable strategy, teams would do it and do it all the time.

And, the only thing the Falcons have to do is stay healthy and beef up the lines.  Two good FA signings- one for each side and the top two picks used on DL and OL, this team will fly next year.

Got to get those 4 right, but, if they do that, the front four on defense will cover up any deficiencies in the back seven, and, you give Ryan time to throw, he'll pick apart any defense. 

Think you're also underestimating how much better the defense will look with all the injured back. 

Every team has holes, that's the reality of a salary capped league, Falcons can fill enough of the holes this offseason to be right up there with any team.

that's a great point about improving the defensive line/DEs and it might cover up not having the best cornerbacks...  ok, a bit of hope is returning

it's just a bit dangerous that we have no room for error as you point out