lju713

Who are our realistic targets at DE??

41 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

The bottom cap guys could free up another $6.4M if they're cut or fall below the Top 51 cap line. We can gain 2019 cap space by reworking Julio, Beasley and Shredder. I'd cut Beasley and Shredder (post June 1) to free up $19.4M though. We could use that and upgrade several positions with experienced vets. 

Agreed.

If we let RS go and secure Ty as the 3rd OT backup it’ll be interesting what we target in FA on the OL. Either a RT or OG.

And depending on if we choose RT or OG starter in FA (presumable we go one at least in Fa), how will this impact our DL vs remaining OL need come rest day?

Like it or no, we gotta nail at least 2 first year starters this draft more than likely. Hopefully, we can develop another 2-3 into starters or backup depth at minimum by year 2-3. Thereby having rookie contracts turn into 5 eventual solid pieces per draft at minimum as a goal; starter quality of course can vary draft to draft.

1 hour ago, Faithful Falcon said:

Dante's play in LA may have raised his value.

I mean, for sake of argument...VB’s last few games starting with the 2 sack DAL performance may have given him a lifeline here but again...at nearly $13M? :shrug:

He doesn’t have to give that up as UFA this year if we rescinded the 5th and would likely mean a payday sooner rather than next offseason + this money if he stays.

Look at Takk’s start of the year and Vic’s end. Sooo much potential if they could become more dedicated to consistency and level of skill.

Edited by Ergo Proxy
Stryka likes this

One option that makes $$$$ is go get N.E. DT big Danny Shelton. Okay he's has some imperfections but he is big, experienced and low cost. We are going to have to pay GJ like a superstar. Big Shelton taking on DL's will make GJ more effective. Then we can use our 1st and 2nd on the OL how about Cody Ford and Lindstrom. Or trade back- pick up an another 2nd and take A. Dillard, in the 2nd take Lindstrom and CB CB Travon M. from Clemson, in the 3rd we get OLB Chase Winovich, you also pick up an extra 4th with this scenario which will give us three 4th so we can get Holyfield, OT McGabe and UGA TE Nauta. In the 5th we have two, we go  Center L. Galliard and PR Meco Hardemen. With last two picks we go J R Reed and QB Minshew. Getting big Shelton for the low this can make this realistically happen.

FalconFanSince1970 and lju713 like this

3 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

I mean, for sake of argument...VB’s last few games starting with the 2 sack DAL performance may have given him a lifeline here but again...at nearly $13M? :shrug:

He doesn’t have to give that up as UFA this year if we rescinded the 5th and would likely mean a payday sooner rather than next offseason + this money if he stays.

Look at Takk’s start of the year and Vic’s end. Sooo much potential if they could become more dedicated to consistency and level of skill.

We were very disruptive in 2 packages once Irvin signed.  Our version of NASCAR...and Irvin playing Leo, Takk lining up over the LT with Vic next to him.  Takk maned up the OT allowing Vic to use his speed on the edge or on stunts.  Irvin & Vic is a significant amount of speed for an OL to account for.  Should be fun next year.

Vic will be here.  If Quinn believes in him, they’ll extend him at 8-10 mill per year and it  could look like a bargain 2 years from now

1989Fan, Vandy and Malachore like this

While Beasley has been disappointing overall the last two seasons, he looked pretty good the last third of the season when Quinn cut back his snaps. It gave me enough hope that I am on board with a one year trial with Vic having Q running the defense. That could be a one year deal, or a multi year deal (3 years?) that the team can get out of after one year.

not sure if Fowler is any sort of upgrade in pass rush...especially considering he had all pro talent all around him on the line taking the attention from him.

it wouldn’t surprise me to see the DE group mostly the same with some money or high draft capital spent on DT. 

FalconsIn2012 likes this

23 hours ago, delaigle said:

OK you got

DE Beasley  Means

DT Senat  Zimmer   (NEW big meanest  DT rookie)

DT Crawford  Bennett 

DE  McKinnley   {Irvin)  Mariner

remember Jarrett is a FA

Jarrett will "technically" be a free agent, but there's no way we let him walk!  Right?  But Beasley may be a different story, unless he agrees to a reduced deal, with maybe some incentives built in.  What's left is not a real strong group, which it seems like the point you're trying to make ---- but I feel fairly confident that  DQ will get some help in FA and the Draft to bolster our DL ---- I think he knows what he's got, and will make the necessary adjustments... 

Edited by FalconJim

19 hours ago, Romfal said:

its free agency...we will have to overpay for any worthwhile player when other teams have 2x our cap

I’m thinking Preston Smith would get a Sanu level contract that would seem slightly excessive and then in a few years of cap raises would seem like a good deal. 

Stryka likes this

4 hours ago, Dutty Ole Bird said:

Brandon graham would be nice.

Of all the cast off names being thrown out, he is the best. He still affects the offense quite a bit. Much better than Curry.

In regards to D end, our realistic targets are whoever falls to us in the draft, our resignees, and maybe some one on the cheap like a vinny curry or maybe even a david irving. Really can't see us paying top dollar for a d end when I believe we will pay for the o line.

I think we should pick up the Best DE we can get in the offseason and Draft a DE with our firs rd.. That's how important I believe haveing a Great DE on our team. Let V Beasley play more in his natural position.. OLB and he can rush on certain plays also.. These moves would IMO help our team most especially on D#.  Then fix OL best way possible.. we've already talked bout it.. draft and Facy.. Then get DTs deeper in the draft sense it's so deep in the DT position. and last couple of picks for DBs.