lju713

Who are our realistic targets at DE??

41 posts in this topic

My short list is Preston Smith,Zadarius Smith,and maybe Frank Clark(doubt it). Curry was just released from Tampa and im all but sure that Brandon Graham will be available. I know we aren't gonna make alot of splash signings in FA but i do think we have enough for some 2nd tier type guys because Clowney,Lawrence, and Dee Ford won't happen. Thoughts?

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Move Z. Smith and F. Clark down to your likely to be re-signed or tagged list. That leaves P. Smith, Fowler and Curry. We'll have to make more cuts to add one of them. Curry is not worth it. The most probable add would be Bruce Irvin and a draft pick. 

Yes, re-sign Bruce Irvin and draft the biggest, meanest DT we can, and we're good --- just my opinion...

PokerSteve likes this

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Move Z. Smith and F. Clark down to your likely to be re-signed or tagged list. That leaves P. Smith, Fowler and Curry. We'll have to make more cuts to add one of them. Curry is not worth it. The most probable add would be Bruce Irvin and a draft pick. 

Remeber Rule of 51 isn’t counting yet so that will give more space than we currently have due to the current guys falling off the cap hit; and Grady/Julio may well net us $15M total increase to current figures; in their first year hits off their 2019 structures. TBD.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/cap/

We have to sign 3 players to start having low end figures fall off but it does add some wiggle.

Who knows what Schraeder’s contract might do but VB for $12.81 gotta be done something about that.

DE suddenly is way more of a need than DT; where we realistically need just 1 Dude and it won’t be hard to upgrade McClain’s performance. Senat year 2 will help some there as well.

I say DE, DT and outside CB are our only absolute must haves on D.

Rest is OL; some offensive position depth or turnover like RB or TE.

And the rookie pool does not matter during FA. So that buys you time to make moves and cuts to free more space. I have a hunch we’ll know more on VB before UFA starts.

Edited by Ergo Proxy
PokerSteve likes this

18 minutes ago, FalconJim said:

Yes, re-sign Bruce Irvin and draft the biggest, meanest DT we can, and we're good --- just my opinion...

I mean we still have 5T DE needs (Shelby replacement/possible VB replacement) but Means replaces Reed just fine hopefully.

Much depends on VB determining the FA moves and subsequent draft day plans.

FalconJim likes this

2 hours ago, lju713 said:

My short list is Preston Smith,Zadarius Smith,and maybe Frank Clark(doubt it). Curry was just released from Tampa and im all but sure that Brandon Graham will be available. I know we aren't gonna make alot of splash signings in FA but i do think we have enough for some 2nd tier type guys because Clowney,Lawrence, and Dee Ford won't happen. Thoughts?

Preston Smith is wayyyy off the realistic list. We are shopping from the bargain bin and the reclamation project aisle Curry is realistic and an upgrade from Beasley, but unless we rescind Beasley’s contract our shopping will be limited to the draft.

lju713 likes this

27 minutes ago, FalconJim said:

OK you got

DE Beasley  Means

DT Senat  Zimmer   (NEW big meanest  DT rookie)

DT Crawford  Bennett 

DE  McKinnley   {Irvin)  Mariner

remember Jarrett is a FA

FalconJim and Schwarzwald like this

17 minutes ago, delaigle said:

OK you got

DE Beasley  Means

DT Senat  Zimmer   (NEW big meanest  DT rookie)

DT Crawford  Bennett 

DE  McKinnley   {Irvin)  Mariner

remember Jarrett is a FA

Yea, we’ll need another DE on 53 man...possibly 2 depends on VB.

Jarrett back and perhaps a DT at 14?

What do we want more:

FA DT vet inside and DE in the draft?

FA DE and DT in the draft?

OL is a huge factor in here somewhere but hard to know optimal plans that are realistic. Maybe we go for a FA OL and go DL twice by the end of round 3?? OL somewhere in there as well???

Absolutely must get Irvin back at whatever hometown discount he winds up giving; according to him.

Basically, if VB leaves then you can sign a cheaper alternative; in addition to Irvin. One or two year rental if need be.

The long term UFA we bring in should be an OL, IMO. Given RS going away sooner than later and the interior OL concerns (including the not too distant C concern)

Edited by Ergo Proxy

8 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Yea, we’ll need another DE on 53 man...possibly 2 depends on VB.

Jarrett back and perhaps a DT at 14?

What do we want more:

FA DT vet inside and DE in the draft?

FA DE and DT in the draft?

OL is a huge factor in here somewhere but hard to know optimal plans that are realistic.

Absolutely must get Irvin back at whatever hometown discount he winds up giving; according to him.

just me but I think it takes longer for a rookie DT to develop in the pros--so if they are looking for the  "quick fix" get a vet DT first  then O-line  then go back for DE

of course this only works if you still believe Senat can develop in 2/3 years plus keeping Beasley

jazzyburrell likes this

1 hour ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Remeber Rule of 51 isn’t counting yet so that will give more space than we currently have due to the current guys falling off the cap hit; and Grady/Julio may well net us $15M total increase to current figures; in their first year hits off their 2019 structures. TBD.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/cap/

We have to sign 3 players to start having low end figures fall off but it does add some wiggle.

Who knows what Schraeder’s contract might do but VB for $12.81 gotta be done something about that.

DE suddenly is way more of a need than DT; where we realistically need just 1 Dude and it won’t be hard to upgrade McClain’s performance. Senat year 2 will help some there as well.

I say DE, DT and outside CB are our only absolute must haves on D.

Rest is OL; some offensive position depth or turnover like RB or TE.

And the rookie pool does not matter during FA. So that buys you time to make moves and cuts to free more space. I have a hunch we’ll know more on VB before UFA starts.

The bottom cap guys could free up another $6.4M if they're cut or fall below the Top 51 cap line. We can gain 2019 cap space by reworking Julio, Beasley and Shredder. I'd cut Beasley and Shredder (post June 1) to free up $19.4M though. We could use that and upgrade several positions with experienced vets. 

Schwarzwald likes this

We realistically can't afford any of them unless. So as much as people think we will they may as well get used to us signing Irvin and restructuring Beasley. 

3 hours ago, Romfal said:

Honestly I can see us going after Quinns boy Dante Fowler

Not bad but won't help a lot 

2 hours ago, delaigle said:

just me but I think it takes longer for a rookie DT to develop in the pros--so if they are looking for the  "quick fix" get a vet DT first  then O-line  then go back for DE

of course this only works if you still believe Senat can develop in 2/3 years plus keeping Beasley

You are correct @delaigle

Look at Grady’s rookie season, Payne’s season last year, Fletcher Cox’s rookie season, etc. Even Aaron Donald (who might be the best DT ever when he is done and had an incredible rookie season) “only” had 22 Sacks + QB Hits his rookie season compared to 61.5 this year. We need a veteran run stuffing DT like Snacks Harrison or Atibah Rubin. Crawford and Senat can rush from the Nickel.

Our list at DT includes:

1. David Irving (only can afford with a VB cut)

2. Mo Wilkerson (will be on another “prove it” deal.

3. Christian Covington

4. Henry Anderson

5. Bennie Logan 

6. Zach Kerr

7. Olsen Pierre

8. Gabe Wright 

9. Trent Thompson (AAF)

10. Jordan Phillips

lju713 likes this

I’m thinking Fowler who would cost more but I don’t have a problem with VC at a cheaper price. A lot depends on VBs situation. I’m not a VB believer other than a situational PR....he can’t play the run which limits his snaps so why pay him more than3-4 m per yr

I like Fowler ok but I worry as a former top 5 pick he’s going to get overpaid and I don’t want to overpay him. 

I like Preston Smith as someone just as young but who will likely be paid the right number relative to his production. 

Edited by Summerhill

3 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

I like Fowler ok but I worry as a former top 5 pick he’s going to get overpaid and I don’t want to overpay him. 

I like Preston Smith as someone just as young but who will likely be paid the right number relative to his production. 

its free agency...we will have to overpay for any worthwhile player when other teams have 2x our cap

Trey Flowers may hit the market just because NE typically don't overpay to resign player's. His play and NE success is gonna raise his price range. But he would be nice in this D.

momak likes this