Cole World

Chris Lindstrom has the look of the next elite player at the position

17 posts in this topic

Now that my #1 choice has injured himself (Simmons) I turn to Chris Lindstrom. Dimitroff has already said it easier for guards to transition to the NFL. Why not try to trade back and pick Lindstrom.

NFL Scouting Combine Watch: Chris Lindstrom

• Home /
  • NFL /
  • NFL Scouting Combine Watch: Chris Lindstrom
By J.P. Scott, 2/15/19, 9:30 AM EST

The Boston College guard has the look of the next elite player at the position

With the NFL Scouting Combine just around the corner, it's time to look at some intriguing prospects to keep an eye on in Indianapolis.

Next up — Boston College guard Chris Lindstrom.

While the offensive tackle position has historically received most of the glory and acclaim that comes with playing on the offensive line, the NFL has seen a recent influx of guards enter the league who have changed the fortunes of their respective teams. Players like Zack Martin, Quenton Nelson, and Shaq Mason are dominating in the trenches and becoming as valuable in offensive schemes as any skill player.

Lindstrom has the look of a guy who can do the same for any team that drafts him.

Lindstrom's technique as a run blocker is about as good as it gets. He held his own against some of the best defensive linemen in the country throughout his collegiate career, leading the way for one of the most dominant running backs in the nation (AJ Dillon) over the last two years.

In pass protection, he holds his own but has limited experience doing so due to the offensive scheme he played in.

Right now, Lindstrom is projected by most experts as a fringe first-rounder. The film doesn't lie — he can play the position. At the Combine, however, he'll need to show above average agility for the position and be amongst the best in the bench press to solidify himself as a first-rounder. Any display of elite lateral quickness — a necessary trait to be an elite pass protector in the NFL — could seal the deal on his first-round aspirations.

Any team looking to upgrade their rushing attack and solidify one of the guard spots on the offensive line for upwards of a decade should not think twice about drafting Lindstrom. Though he's not quite as exciting of a prospect as some of the other dominant guards to come out recently, he's just about as flawless of a player at the position as you can ask for.

Edited by Cole World

Chris Lindstrom 2019 NFL Draft Profile

February 9, 2019

Overview
Position: Interior offensive lineman
Height: 6’4”
Weight: 310 pounds
School: Boston College Eagles

Chris Lindstrom, a true interior offensive lineman from Massachusetts, was not one of the highly coveted names coming out of high school. Lindstrom was a three-star recruit who in his senior season helped his running back rush for 3,835 yards and 49 touchdowns. He was named Massachusetts Co-Offensive Player of the Year his senior year, and was named Player of the Year his junior year. His father was a Hall of Fame lineman at Boston University and spent three seasons in the NFL. His uncle, Eric, also played defensive end, and his younger brother Alec is a true freshman offensive lineman at Boston College, so Chris comes from good NFL roots.

Lindstrom’s freshman year in 2015 saw him get playing time in 12 games. The final nine games were all started at right guard. His sophomore year, Lindstrom started all 13 games at right guard.

During his junior year, Lindstrom earned All-ACC Second Team honors at tackle. He was also BC’s highest-graded offensive lineman the entire 2017 season and led the line to rank second in the ACC, 13th nationally, with only 13 sacks allowed. He was the key piece in helping the run game average 220.4 yards per game. In his final season at Boston College, Lindstrom earned All-ACC First Team honors. He played in all of BC’s games that year, and started them all at right guard. Nearly every snap was played on the offense as well.

Lindstrom played some of his junior year at right tackle and right guard. Where he excelled the most throughout his college career was on the interior of the line and where a team will surely draft him this spring. Lindstrom made quite a name for himself, and looks to project as a high round draft pick.

Strengths

• gets out of blocks quick and climbs to the next level;
  • exhibits exceptional mobility;
  • really good range;
  • keeps his eyes up;
  • great lower body power;
  • absorbs rushes with his lower body strength;
  • very active hands;
  • does a good job resetting with his hands;
  • quick feet;
  • natural athlete;
  • stays engaged with defenders;
  • solid on pulls and slide protections;
  • can win with quickness;

Weaknesses

• overruns blocks at times;
  • gets overeager at the second level;
  • needs to keep a lower center of gravity;
  • not very lengthy;
  • can take an off angle at times;

NFL Comparison: David DeCastro

Teams With Need at Position: Buffalo Bills, Miami Dolphins, Cincinnati Bengals, Baltimore Ravens, Houston Texans, Tennessee Titans, Washington Redskins, New York Giants, Minnesota Vikings, Atlanta Falcons, Carolina Panthers, Arizona Cardinals

Projection: Late first round

Bottom Line

Chris Lindstrom is arguably the best interior lineman in this class. His athleticism, quickness, and lower body strength set him apart from his counterparts, and make him a monster of a blocker. His agility gives him tremendous range on pulls and slide protections. He can maul a defender and quickly get up to the second level and open up another lane for his ball carrier. His hand technique is superb and keeps his eyes on his target like a top guard should and he strikes with great force.

The main issue I see with Lindstrom is he gets a bit too anxious at times and will overrun his defenders. When he gets to the second level, shifty linebackers can get by him because of his speed and quickness that he doesn’t gear down on. This is something that can be corrected. Something that can’t be corrected is his length. He has the versatility to play both guard and tackle at times, but with his length, I don’t think there will be a chance he plays on the outside. He’s solid blocking in his frame, so his length may not end up being too much of an issue. Overall, I could see a team in need of a guard in the middle of the first snatching him up at the given opportunity.

I like Elgton Jenkins too but not at pick 14. In a trade back I want to solidify the RG position because it’s a few LG/C options that I like in the 2nd/3rd.

My LG/C ranking are:

1a. Elgton Jenkins (more than likely will be gone before our 2nd round pick. Panthers center, Ryan Khalil retired, so they will be looking for a replacement.)

1b. Garrett Bradbury 

1c. Erik McCoy

If we can trade back and get an additional 2nd I would draft the following players in the first 3 rounds depending on FA.

1st- RG Chris Lindstrom 

2nd- DT Jeffery Simmons (if he doesn’t go beforehand)

2nd*- BPA DE/CB/LB

3rd- LG/C Garrett Bradbury/Erik McCoy

- Or -

1st- RG Chris Lindstrom 

2nd- BPA DE/CB/LB

2nd*- DT Khalen Saunders

1 hour ago, Cole World said:

I like Elgton Jenkins too but not at pick 14. In a trade back I want to solidify the RG position because it’s a few LG/C options that I like in the 2nd/3rd.

My LG/C ranking are:

1a. Elgton Jenkins (more than likely will be gone before our 2nd round pick. Panthers center, Ryan Khalil retired, so they will be looking for a replacement.)

1b. Garrett Bradbury 

1c. Erik McCoy

If we can trade back and get an additional 2nd I would draft the following players in the first 3 rounds depending on FA.

1st- RG Chris Lindstrom 

2nd*- BPA DE/CB/LB

- Or -

1st- RG Chris Lindstrom 

2nd- BPA DE/CB/LB

2nd*- DT Khalen Saunders

I think our 1st pick is the best RT available. Whether that's Taylor, Dillard, or Ford. I believe if we want Saunders it's gotta be rd 2. He will blow up the combine and probably won't be there for our 3rd pick. In rd 3 I'm looking for a RG. Hopefully Dru Samia. If not, then maybe Nate Davis. I'm hoping for a combo of Dillard and Samia on the right side, but won't be mad with Ford and Samia either since they have played together. I think we sign a vet in FA for LG.

kiwifalcon likes this

6 hours ago, Cole World said:

My LG/C ranking are:

1b. Garrett Bradbury 

1c. Erik McCoy

1st- RG Chris Lindstrom 

2nd*- BPA DE/CB/LB

- Or -

1st- RG Chris Lindstrom 

2nd- BPA DE/CB/LB

2nd*- DT Khalen Saunders

Sorry man I can’t get with Lindstrom in the first round and to be honest non of those Gs are 1st round material.There isn’t a Quentin Nelson anywhere this year.

5 hours ago, ike barn87987 said:

I think our 1st pick is the best RT available. Whether that's Taylor, Dillard, or Ford. I believe if we want Saunders it's gotta be rd 2. He will blow up the combine and probably won't be there for our 3rd pick. In rd 3 I'm looking for a RG. Hopefully Dru Samia. If not, then maybe Nate Davis. I'm hoping for a combo of Dillard and Samia on the right side, but won't be mad with Ford and Samia either since they have played together. I think we sign a vet in FA for LG.

This if anyone of Taylor Ford or J.Williams are there @ 14 the Falcons in my eyes will be hard pressed not to pick one of them.

On 2/17/2019 at 7:14 PM, ike barn87987 said:

Check out @TheJoeMarino’s Tweet:

An article I came across. In the bold is where I can see him being a target of ours.

Eagles draft target: Chris Lindstrom would bring valued versatility to OL

By Nick Fierro

The Philadelphia Eagles haven’t drafted an offensive lineman in the first round since tackle Lane Johnson in 2013. They could end that streak this year if Boston College guard Chris Lindstrom is still on the board when they pick at No. 25 overall.

In this latest in a series of profiles examining potential Eagles draft targets, we attempt to explain why.

To start, he knows what he’s doing. This is because he’s part of a prominent football family and couldn’t get away from the sport if he tried.

His father, Chris Lindstrom Sr., is in the BC Hall of Fame, thanks to his career as a lineman. He went on to play three years in the NFL. Lindstrom also has a younger brother on the line at BC.

Though he projects as a guard, Lindstrom has some experience at tackle, which should help him at the next level. But with the Eagles, he could be ready to contribute right away at the position he played most in college, right guard.

As everyone knows, starter Brandon Brooks could miss part or all of the 2019 season after tearing an Achilles tendon in the January playoff loss to New Orleans.

Regardless of Brooks’ condition, adding a lineman with a premium pick is something the Eagles might seriously consider anyway. Offensive and defensive line are positions they value most, and this year’s draft is thought to be loaded with talented linemen on both sides of the ball.

Lindstrom certainly is classified as one by experts. He tested well at the NFL Scouting Combine and has drawn nothing but rave reviews in scouting reports.

TheDraftNetwork’s Kyle Crabb calls him a scheme-friendly interior offensive lineman who is capable of stepping into a starting role right away.

Lindstrom is a quick-footed blocker who excels at the snap,” Crabb writes. “He would be best served in a system that allows their OL to win positioning (gap/power concepts) as compared to asking him to steer defenders at the LOS. Lindstrom has experience at OT, and in emergencies he has functional [athletic ability] to play in spurts.”

That’s not exactly a comparison to Brooks’ bulldozing abilities, but any team that likes to get its linemen out on the perimeter should like what Lindstrom brings.

“I am fortunate to come from Boston College and play for coach Steve Addazio,” Lindstrom said at the combine. "We did so many multiple things. We ran wide zone, tight zone, gap schemes and we pulled a lot. That balance of what we had in college gave me so many reps of things I can carry over into the pros.

“I played three years at right guard and then my junior season at right tackle. I am learning how to snap now. I am just trying to be as versatile as I can to help the team win in any way.”

Lindstrom believes he became a better guard after playing tackle “because of the experience being out in space and having those tackles," he said. "When I came back inside, everything slowed down a little bit after playing on the outside. I am just trying to be as versatile as I can be to help a team. Trying to play guard, center and tackle, and I just happen to have the most reps at guard.”

That thirst will bode well at the pro level.

14 hours ago, Cole World said:

I hadn't really considered it much, but I like the idea of him playing tackle. My one criticism of his tape was that he didn't get much movement in the run game but playing tackle will give him better match ups in the run game and he has the athleticism and length to stick outside. 

On 2/16/2019 at 8:00 PM, Cole World said:

Now that my #1 choice has injured himself (Simmons) I turn to Chris Lindstrom. Dimitroff has already said it easier for guards to transition to the NFL. Why not try to trade back and pick Lindstrom.

You almost called it.

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 6:00 PM, Cole World said:

giphy.gif