texasfalconfan

do we really have enough picks and cap space to fill out the team?

95 posts in this topic

We keep bleeding/losing/cutting players. We only have so many picks, and not really any cap space to bring in free agents. All of our cap savings is gonna go to jarrett, and extending julio, so we wont be able to bring in much from the free agent side either. were gonna end up having to rely on udfa’s again for every bit of our depth. yet we paid matt ryan more than drew brees, and tom brady make.

Julio's deal should save us money, work out a deal with Beasley and that saves more money.  Cut a few more and we'll be looking pretty good.

Yes, we can fill out our roster, but declarations in recent months that we were in good shape to FIX our roster in free agency are overstated.

I think Freemans contract is going screw us out of more than any other player. We are going to let Teco walk because of it and Freeman will be injured by game 3. His contract and injury issues are going to ensure our running game is horrible for a few years.

MoFalconsFan56 likes this

Probably pick up several players that go undrafted and maybe promote some guys on the practice squad. We should have enough players to at least get the games started.. Just hope our injury curse is behind us. Two or three key players go down this season and we may have to forfeit some games :ninja:

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

2 hours ago, MAD597 said:

I think Freemans contract is going screw us out of more than any other player. We are going to let Teco walk because of it and Freeman will be injured by game 3. His contract and injury issues are going to ensure our running game is horrible for a few years.

Injured by game 3? Whose actually reported Free is healthy now? Seriously, I have my doubts hes any better than he was

Ezekiel 25:17 likes this

48 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Injured by game 3? Whose actually reported Free is healthy now? Seriously, I have my doubts hes any better than he was

You dont heal from concussion issues as a RB, even if his knee and groin are healed one bad helmet hit and he is done 

gkgrimes and ⚡Slumerican⚡ like this

6 hours ago, texasfalconfan said:

We keep bleeding/losing/cutting players. We only have so many picks, and not really any cap space to bring in free agents. All of our cap savings is gonna go to jarrett, and extending julio, so we wont be able to bring in much from the free agent side either. were gonna end up having to rely on udfa’s again for every bit of our depth. yet we paid matt ryan more than drew brees, and tom brady make.

Its going to be a close shave for sure.

6 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

Yes. We have had more holes and less picks & cap space most previous years.

Ryans deal doesn’t prevent the team from doing anything. People need to move on from this false notion.

Technically the 0-16 Lions had a roster and so did the 16-0 Patriots. Paying top price for a QB does not prevent the team from fielding a 53 man roster, sure. But teams with QBs on rookie deals can field a better 53 man roster, as we saw with the 2017 Eagles and 2018 Rams. Extra cap space gives you space to not just sign superstars but it also allows for depth in key positions, like OL, DL, LBs, etc.

17 hours ago, texasfalconfan said:

Better opp than most teams do, as falcons are one of more talented teams in NFL. 

On 2/16/2019 at 7:28 PM, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

On 2/16/2019 at 8:18 PM, MAD597 said:

You dont heal from concussion issues as a RB, even if his knee and groin are healed one bad helmet hit and he is done 

So many medical ‘experts’ lurking in here on freeman..

Actually, with extra 4th and 5th round compensatory picks (Poe, Gabriel), the Falcons will have 9 available draft picks as they have also not traded any away this year.  And, of course, draft picks are minimal impact to the payroll since they are on rookie contracts.

So, really we probably need to clear spots on the roster for these new draft picks by getting rid of expensive veterans who are not as good as in the past or not worth the money they want.

Throw in perhaps a player or 2 moving up from the practice squad, a couple of free agent signees, and maybe an UDFA find and our roster should have no problem being filled.

33 minutes ago, delaigle said:

see Falcon;s web site--article by McFadden

2019 Falcons viewed as the least-needy team in the NFL heading into free agency, NFL Draft

People quickly forget our roster was a favorite to reach the SB just 6 months ago.  Prisoner of the moment much, TATF?

Thats why I love the odds we currently have: + 3000 to win the SB.  If you can afford to lose $1,000 lay the bet on the Falcons

falconidae, Stryka and Vandy like this