jlrfalcon

Liberty Media - Smart Businessmen? Tightwad Owners? Total Jerks?

7 posts in this topic

Is the biggest problem facing the Braves right now a missing ace? an unreliable closer? a declining right fielder? or maybe just terrible owners?

Alex A and Terry McGuirk sat down with the Athletic this week to discuss the Braves this week and really did nothing to answer why this team is so frugal.  We have made only one big "addition" this offseason with Donaldson and he was only a one year deal (McCann may be slightly better than Suzuki but even then not big).  Further, with youngsters on cheap, short contracts, the only contracts the Braves have that over 1 year long are Freeman and Inciarte (who oddly seems to be included in any trade rumors).

However, these Colorado-based owners are turning pretty good profits on the Braves at the moment with their amusement park around SunTrust-RIP Park.  Keeping our 2019 payroll actually below our 2018 payroll will also certainly help those profits in the future.  If we were stockholders, we would perhaps consider Liberty to be a great stock?  I guess, however, they are assuming that fans will still come see this team if it plays .500 this year when all the rest of the NL East improved?

Should Atlanta fans really start coming out against our owners and just not show up for games?  Should we try bringing in signs that say negative things about our owners?  Should we hope that local media perhaps continues to press them?  Do we just live with it?

All I will say is - Give Me Something Other than Liberty or Give Me the Death of this Franchise?

Liberty Media and Sinclair Media are vile organizations. We need them both out of baseball. Instead, they have spent the month trying to lay down roots.

Malachore likes this

5 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

I couldn't even make it through that full article before the stupid was too much to handle. Craig Calcaterra is so wrong. But whatever. Folks gonna *****, *****, *****, ***** regardless if right or wrong.

*shrugs* I agreed with every word he said to the point that I could have written that article almost verbatim. What McGuirk and AA did was the embodiment of corporate doubletalk.

As for Sinclair, this is them:

I'd say we have a terrible GM and ownership after this offseason. All we did was add Donaldson. McCann is probably a downgrade from suzuki. So ya AA grabbed a buddy for a 1 year deal and called it good lol