jlrfalcon

Who Has Been the Worst Loss So Far (w/POLL)?

Who Has Been the Worst Loss So Far?   118 members have voted

1. 1. Who Has Been the Worst Loss So Far?

• Brooks Reed
    • Robert Alford
    • Matt Bryant
    • Brian Poole

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

66 posts in this topic

There have been 4 major "losses" so far this offseason.  Which would you say has been the worst so far - heartbreaking? illogical? irreplaceable?

Alford - he had great years but perhaps a down 2018.  Arizona definitely thought a lot of him to sign him right after we dumped him?  But was he just too expensive and worth the loss?

Reed - he got a quick sign from Arizona also.  He was always good against the run and will we find something to replace him for less?

Bryant - he was always reliable but nobody can deny he had a young guy sitting behind him that was much cheaper and perhaps will be just as good?

Poole - he was always a good blitzer and definitely gave a lot, but was he just getting old?  is this a way of clearing a spot for Kazee?

Edited by jlrfalcon

Bryant with my heart, but Poole with my head. Poole had swag and had a good game more often than a bad one. Locker room guy too. More importantly- we became thin REAL quick at CB in two weeks. Is Poole all pro? No but he was soild depth for us. That is a fact. CB is a priority this off-season now- believe that. 

20 minutes ago, jlrfalcon said:

There have been 4 major "losses" so far this offseason.  Which would you say has been the worst so far - heartbreaking? illogical? irreplaceable?

Alford - he had great years but perhaps a down 2018.  Arizona definitely thought a lot of him to sign him right after we dumped him?  But was he just too expensive and worth the loss?

Reed - he got a quick sign from Arizona also.  He was always good against the run and will we find something to replace him for less?

Bryant - he was always reliable but nobody can deny he had a young guy sitting behind him that was much cheaper and perhaps will be just as good?

Poole - he was always a good blitzer and definitely gave a lot, but was he just getting old?  is this a way of clearing a spot for Kazee?

The first three were cap casualties. There are four more that need to go. Poole was a head scratcher.

6 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

The first three were cap casualties. There are four more that need to go. Poole was a head scratcher.

Considering Allen is coming back as a starter....and Nickel being the only place Kazee can make an impact...Pool was necessary imo....

gkgrimes, Tandy, Vandy and 1 other like this

1 minute ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Considering Allen is coming back as a starter....and Nickel being the only place Kazee can make an impact...Pool was necessary imo....

We should have kept him. He is a play maker. Sucks in coverage but can find his way to a play. We need play makers.

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

We should have kept him. He is a play maker. Sucks in coverage but can find his way to a play. We need play makers.

Retaining a nickel that sucks in coverage....ok 

I think Kazee in that spot is an upgrade

PokerSteve, Vandy, gkgrimes and 2 others like this

1 minute ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Idk why y'all are acting like Poole is for sure gone. We could easily bring him back cheaper if no one else bites.

I was thinking that also

33 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Idk why y'all are acting like Poole is for sure gone. We could easily bring him back cheaper if no one else bites.

Someone will pick him up. He will make plays for them. He'll be dead on TATF then. Trust me.

Falconsin2012 likes this

I ain't gon' lie, losing a 10 yr. vet like "Money Matt" really hurt me.  He won so many big games for us.  I understand the NFL is a business and he was gettin' a little long in the tooth --- also, with the type of injuries he had last year, you have to wonder how many more seasons his hammy has.  But Bryant was one of my all-time favorite Falcons, so I'll miss seeing him out there for us this season.  

Good Luck, Matt!  

Poole might well be back. Bryant hurts the most but can't say I disagree with any of the moves. 

I honestly think with Alford it's a case of addition by subtraction. Reed was a solid contributer but just couldn't justify that contract with everything else coming up.

Reed. I think the Bryant choice is more of an emotional attachment thing that anything. The guy had to be replaced one day. Let Greek Ice take the same lumps as Bryant has 

5 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

I hope so.

7 hours ago, Shagpill 2.0 said:

Bryant with my heart, but Poole with my head. Poole had swag and had a good game more often than a bad one. Locker room guy too. More importantly- we became thin REAL quick at CB in two weeks. Is Poole all pro? No but he was soild depth for us. That is a fact. CB is a priority this off-season now- believe that. 

Yeah, the Bryant move was common sense and Ray Charles from the grave could have seen it coming. 

Which is why i am surprised “The Bryant’s” had such a reaction to it happening. Between the increasing injuries, the teams need to clear salary and go with a younger cheaper guy with a very strong leg who couldn’t see it!?

PokerSteve likes this

Until the season starts it’s hard to tell. The moves all made sense to this point though. Rocky has the most potential to be a player for AZ, but man he was awful last season.

7 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

This is true in theory, but you can tender him for ~$2M and avoid taking a chance. If the team wasn’t willing to do that I don’t anticipate they are going to try to keep him around.

dont recall seeing a RFA not tendered but then signed to a deal.

Stryka likes this

Mat Bryant was the only one living up to his contract so hard to say anyone but him.  Poole would be second but if we're being honest, he hasn't been all that good since Green Bay in the playoffs in 2016.  He's had some good games here and there since but has been a real liability in a lot of games as well.  I was really shocked at how bad he was at S when we tried him there early in the season. 

Edited by Monolith2001

The most surprising- Brian Poole. We might be able to re-sign him but I think there will be multiple suitors for his services

The one that hurt the most even though it wasn't really surprising: Matt Bryant. I thought it was pretty telling that even when Bryant was healthy, we still held onto the Italian Ice.

None so far. They all had their cheaper replacements on the roster already and were cut for understandable reasons (Old, overpaid, or just not very good).

citsalp likes this

1. Matt Bryant

2. Brian Poole

3. Robert Alford

4. Brooks Reed 

Yet, we still have Duke Riley, Desmond Trufant, and Vic Beasley who have all underachieved and have played no better or have been worse than all 4 players listed above. We only have a replacement for Matt Bryant right now, but no replacements for the rest of the players.