Goober Pyle

CB Brian Poole non tendered

292 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

We'll have to trade several picks and trade up to get Greedy. He'll probably be long gone at #14.

Think you’re wrong on this. Either way I hope we go in another direction, I desperately don’t want a CB at 14.

18 minutes ago, Jesus said:

The issue with Schraeder is you have to wait until June 1 to cut him. They need something in place before then. Sambrillo isn't that guy. Quinn isn't giving up on Beasley yet.

Sombrero played way better than Shredder last year. He was solid in pass pro.

7 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

He may be, but he isn't under contract either.

I know, but the Falcons will have leverage by negotiating first. They can tell him how miserable and how sorry he is, which he will believe. I have him signing at $3.5M.

5 minutes ago, jfalconsp said:

Think you’re wrong on this. Either way I hope we go in another direction, I desperately don’t want a CB at 14.

Could be but I doubt it. He's the top corner in this class. Corner is a premium draft position. Right up there with DE and OT. Just below QB. There are several corner needy teams drafting ahead of us. Maybe not as needy as we are now though. I'm gonna LMAO if Dimi trades our draft class to move up for Greedy. Especially at the TATFers that wanted to tank for Quinnen.

:munch:I'm telling you guys.   FALCONS gonna be surprise big splashers in free agency!!!  Similar to what the rams did....:munch:

Edited by falconfanEST1989

27 minutes ago, falconfanEST1989 said:

:munch:I'm telling you guys.   FALCONS gonna be surprise big splashers in free agency!!!  Similar to what the rams did....:munch:

Nope, we don’t have a QB on rookie contract like rams/eagles in order to do that. 

Sounds to me more like these moves are being made to lock up Jarrett and possibly Beasley. 

This is a pretty smart move in terms of cap & potential draft compensation.

These are the projected RFA tender amounts for 2019:

1st Round: $4,449,000
2nd Round: $3,124,000
Original Round: $2,045,000

With Rico returning Kazee should be free to move to CB. With Tru & Oliver also in front of him on the depth chart, that makes Poole the #4CB. The 1st & 2nd round tender amounts would already be far too high for a #4CB, but especially so for a team like ours that needs cap room. Even the original round tender is kinda high priced for that role, and since Poole was a UDFA, giving him the original round tender would not give us any compensation whatsoever if he was signed by another team.

By not tendering him we are effectively making him a UFA. This means that if he signs a decent contract & has a substantial role elsewhere, we could end up with a comp pick for him in next year's draft.

Your starters at CB are set:  Trufant,  Oliver at Kazee at Nickel.  Any other CBs will be depth--or if they're really good could compete to start.

Ergo Proxy likes this

10 minutes ago, k-train said:

This is a pretty smart move in terms of cap & potential draft compensation.

These are the projected RFA tender amounts for 2019:

1st Round: $4,449,000
2nd Round: $3,124,000
Original Round: $2,045,000

With Rico returning Kazee should be free to move to CB. With Tru & Oliver also in front of him on the depth chart, that makes Poole the #4CB. The 1st & 2nd round tender amounts would already be far too high for a #4CB, but especially so for a team like ours that needs cap room. Even the original round tender is kinda high priced for that role, and since Poole was a UDFA, giving him the original round tender would not give us any compensation whatsoever if he was signed by another team.

By not tendering him we are effectively making him a UFA. This means that if he signs a decent contract & has a substantial role elsewhere, we could end up with a comp pick for him in next year's draft.

TATF has already penciled in Rico returning to health at 100%, plus Kazee locking down the nickel responsibilities. Neither is guaranteed. 

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Everybody hated everybody on the defense right up until we started releasing players....this place is the twilight zone

LOL exactly this. 

Only players I gaf about are Debo, Neal, Grady, Rico, Kazee and Tak.

8 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Could be but I doubt it. He's the top corner in this class. Corner is a premium draft position. Right up there with DE and OT. Just below QB. There are several corner needy teams drafting ahead of us. Maybe not as needy as we are now though. I'm gonna LMAO if Dimi trades our draft class to move up for Greedy. Especially at the TATFers that wanted to tank for Quinnen.

If we take a CB in the 1st, I think that has less to do with replacing Alford & a whole lot to do with thinking they may cut Tru next offseason (post-June 1st cut saves almost $11M w/ $4M dead money) to get out of that awful contract & use that money toward re-signing Debo, Neal, Hooper, etc.

1 hour ago, Geneaut said:

Poole was a great bargain as an UDFA, and played far beyond his measurables. However, as you pointed out, he wasn't All World and with Kazee probably taking his place we can look later in the draft or in the UDFA pool to replace him as the #4 CB. 

I'm curious what we will do with Wreh-Wilson now.

Sure, but he could have been a good depth piece in the event that say both of our starting safeties go down in week one and we need Kazee to play safety.

That's the problem with letting him walk.  

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

TATF has already penciled Rico returning to health at 100% plus Kazee locking down the nickel responsibilities. Neither is guaranteed. 

Agreed that they are definitely not guaranteed, but until there is substantial reason to think otherwise, both seem like pretty reasonable expectations at this point.

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I don't think so. I believe you have to be under the cap before June 1. Like in March.

I think it's before free agency begins but I remember the saints being over after free agency a few years back I think. 

2 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Called this early in the offseason. Figured that both Alford and Poole would be gone. 

I think the FO probably had a good idea that barring an absolutely lights out season, Alford was probably gone this offseason once they drafted Oliver.

Ergo Proxy likes this

Just now, k-train said:

Agreed that they are definitely not guaranteed, but until there is substantial reason to think otherwise, both seem like pretty reasonable expectations at this point.

I forgot to mention Oliver's been penciled in at RCB too. No guarantees there either.

If I'm QuinnOliTroff and sittin on that hot seat I'm not banking on either one happening.

Screw around at the corner and you can get curb stomped in this league in a hurry. 

Flying Falcon likes this

11 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I don't think so. I believe you have to be under the cap before June 1. Like in March.

Yeah, you are spot on.

February 19—First day for clubs to designate franchise or transition players.

February 26-March 4—NFL Scouting Combine, Indianapolis, Indiana. Top draft prospects work out for scouts and coaches, and interview with teams’ top decision makers in another important part of the pre-draft process.

March 5, 1 p.m. PT—Deadline for clubs to designate franchise or transition players.

March 11-13—Teams are permitted to contact and enter into contract negotiations with agents of players who will become unrestricted free agents when the new league year begins on March 13.

March 13, 1 p.m. PT—New league year begins. This marks the deadline for submitting qualifying offers to restricted free agents with expiring contracts. It is also the start of free agency when 2018 contracts expire and free agents can officially sign with new teams. Teams must also be under the 2019 salary cap by this time.

March 24-27—Annual League Meetings, Phoenix, Arizona.

April 15—Clubs with returning head coaches may begin offseason workouts programs (teams that changed head coaches in the offseason can start on April 1).

April 19—Deadline for restricted free agents to sign offer sheets.

April 25-27—2019 NFL Draft, Nashville, Tennessee.

Iron Saint and Ergo Proxy like this

3 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I forgot to mention Oliver's been penciled in at RCB too. No guarantees there either.

If I'm QuinnOliTroff and sittin on that hot seat I'm not banking on either one happening.

Screw around at the corner and you can get curb stomped in this league in a hurry. 

Why is cb so important if wrs are just shiny hood ornaments? Kind-of flawed logic there. 

Sidecar Falcon and Ergo Proxy like this